Re: Critique of Herbert Norris

  • mackayjenn
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 27, 2007
      MODERATOR NOTE - As a courtesy to our many members who receive this list in digest form, please do not top post. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

      [Message order revised and edited)

      > In answer to the question, can a newbie be misled by
      > Norris, my answer is a resounding yes! Authenticity/accuracy is
      not a point on a numberline.
      > It is a journey taken by some who value it. Any
      > newbie ambitious enough to use Norris to make
      > something is well on their way to "the look". When I
      > talk to new people about costuming references, I
      > always, always give a disclaimer about such books!
      >
      > Christiana de Avochelie

      As a newbie myself, I bought the medieval time period Norris book
      that book first because it was easy to find at the book store. I have
      since purchased the Museum of London Textiles book as a better
      reference. However, I do like the Norris book, too. There's some good
      information in there. It just has to be checked with another source.

      I spend a lot of time reading books from the library or bookstore,
      asking lots of questions, and querying the more experienced garb
      Laurels with my plethora of newbie questions.

      I am interested in being more authentic-as I can afford to be-and as
      I accquire the skills at sewing to be, too. It's a journey for me. I
      tend to ignore and avoid any Authenticy Self-Appointed Police (and
      I've run into a few who give a bad name to the word Authenticity...)
      and I don't sweat the small stuff. :)

      Just my two coppers...

      Gemma Northwood
      Antir