Re: Mobility aid image search

  • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 25, 2007
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, kittencat3@... wrote:

      > I know that the Acoustic Neuroma Association sells small pins that
      indicate
      > whether one is deaf on the right or the left side. They're at
      > _www.anausa.org_ (http://www.anausa.org) if that might help.
      >
      > Sarah Davies
      >
      > (right side AN with 25% hearing loss, which is why I frequently
      turn my head
      > so that people can speak into my left ear)

      The problem is (as you've probably noticed) that alerting people to
      your deafness is no guarantee that they know what to do about it, or
      that they will remember to do it. Deaf or Hard-of-Hearing Culture is
      something you have to be trained to. My lord is half Deaf, so our
      home life is culturally Hard of Hearing. I can't talk to anyone who
      has their head in a cupboard or the fridge, even when I know they're
      hearing!
      Rosie
      P.S Some events in the US are interpreted, to a greater or lesser
      degree. If any of you sign, you could try contacting them. "Silent
      Heralds" they call themselves. They have a yahoo group.