Re: Mobility aid image search

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 17, 2007
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Juliann <juliann@...> wrote:

      > Greetings!
      >
      > I am beginning my first research "article" in the world of the SCA,
      > my chosen topic is period mobility aids. Wheeled chairs, crutches,
      > canes, etc. I have started gathering textual references (and would
      > always appreciate more), but I have been having problems finding
      > images to show what these devices may have looked like in period.

      How about sedan chairs? Also, some suggestions here:
      http://caxton.stockton.edu/disability/disability and in
      http://www.ima.org.il/imaj/ar01nov-18.pdf [Hieronymus Bosch's drawing
      "Procession of the Cripples" is shown therein, although a better
      rendition is here: http://www.answers.com/topic/beggarsandcripples-jpg%5d

      EydĂ­s
    • quokkaqueen
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 19, 2007
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "velvetclad" <velvetclad@...> wrote:

        > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Juliann <juliann@> wrote:
        <<snip>>
        I am beginning my first research "article" in the world of the
        > SCA,
        > > my chosen topic is period mobility aids. Wheeled chairs,
        > crutches,
        > > canes, etc.
        <<snip>>

        There are two walking sticks from the Viking era in "From Viking to
        Crusader" in the catalogue section. Cat. nos. 18 and 19.
        (There is a short reference here: http://www.treheima.ca/viking/wood.htm )

        There is also the 1568 painting by Pieter Bruegel the Elder called
        "The Cripples" which shows various crutches:
        http://www.abcgallery.com/B/bruegel/bruegel145.html
        and an article here:
        http://www.csuchico.edu/art/contrapposto/Contrapposto97/Pages/Lee2.html

        It's not much information, but I hope it helps
        ~Asfridhr
      • quokkaqueen
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 19, 2007
          MODERATOR NOTE - Please do not top post. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator. (Message order reorganized.)

          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "quokkaqueen" <quokkaqueen@...>
          wrote:
          > There are two walking sticks from the Viking era in "From Viking to
          > Crusader" in the catalogue section. Cat. nos. 18 and 19.

          I borrowed a scanner, and uploaded a photocopy of the page here:
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/quokkaqueen/viking-sticks.jpg

          Enjoy,
          ~Asfridhr
        • Chris Catalfamo
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 21, 2007
            I am very much interested in hearing devices in case you ever come across a footnote. I wear two aids and am 95% deaf without them. Since it is nerve deafness, volume is not the only problem. Having an outwardly visible device (an animal horn?) would actually help me interact with folks since they could see that they need to talk louder.

          • Elvira Pedrosa
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 22, 2007
              MODERATOR NOTE - Please do not top post. Please edit anything that does not need to be repeated from the message to which you are responding. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator

              (Message order edited and trimmed)

              On 6/17/07, Carmen Beaudry <moreplentyn@...> wrote:
              > I"ve got a copy of an engraving of a chair with wheels like that used > by Philip I of Spain, however I don't remember the site I snatched it > from.

              You can find the woodcut of Philip in a chair with wheels in the book Philip of Spain by Henry Kamen.

              Elvira
            • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 22, 2007
                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Catalfamo"
                <catalfamo1190@...> wrote:

                > I am very much interested in hearing devices in case you ever come
                across a footnote. I wear two aids and am 95% deaf without them. Since
                it is nerve deafness, volume is not the only problem. Having an
                outwardly visible device (an animal horn?) would actually help me
                interact with folks since they could see that they need to talk louder.

                Maybe you need to carry around a wax tablet or something. Conversations
                during noisy feasts are hardly possible even with hearing aids. Writing
                things down takes less time than training everyone you come across to
                communicate with you appropriately. Since that takes so long, you might
                as well be assertive and start now! And bag the largest candelabra to
                sit next to boost your lipreading ability.
                Me thinks that back in period, deaf people used the same non-
                technological tricks you usually use.
                Rosie
              • Catherine Christine Catalfamo
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 23, 2007
                  > Maybe you need to carry around a wax tablet or something.
                  Conversations
                  > during noisy feasts are hardly possible even with hearing aids.
                  Writing
                  > things down takes less time than training everyone you come across
                  > communicate with you appropriately.

                  Since I rarely attend a feast (anything over 3 people is a problem, I
                  am more worried about interaction with Ren Fest patrons conflicting
                  with outside noises. But since there is the possibility of small
                  groups, it may work better. I once had to give an Underground RR tour
                  to 70 people downtown in traffic. That was impossible. I'm thinking
                  ANY visible device can be worked into the schpiel.
                  chris catalfamo
                • quokkaqueen
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 23, 2007
                    MODERATOR NOTE - As a courtesy to our many members who receive this list in digest form, we ask that you do not top post. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

                    (Message order edited for compliance.)

                    <catalfamo1190@...> wrote:

                    > I am very much interested in hearing devices in case you ever come
                    across a footnote.

                    I've dug up some references, but they're mostly past the 1600 cut-off
                    date. There are some medical journals that I hope I can get a hold of
                    with some more information.

                    In 1588, it's said that Giovanni Battista Porta in his book "Magia
                    Naturalis" mentions hearing aids. The hearing aids were made of wood
                    and shaped like the ears of animals known to have acute hearing.
                    From: http://beckerexhibits.wustl.edu/did/timeline/index.htm

                    Francis Bacon mentions hearing trumpets in the 1660s, in "Sylva
                    sylvarum" See: http://beckerexhibits.wustl.edu/did/rarebks/spv.htm

                    An ear trumpet from the 1670s:
                    http://www.rehab.research.va.gov/mono/ear/portfoli.htm

                    It's not much, but I hope it helps,
                    ~Asfridhr
                  • quokkaqueen
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 24, 2007
                      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "quokkaqueen" <quokkaqueen@...>
                      wrote:
                      <<snip>>
                      > In 1588, it's said that Giovanni Battista Porta in his book "Magia
                      > Naturalis" mentions hearing aids. The hearing aids were made of wood
                      > and shaped like the ears of animals known to have acute hearing.
                      > From: http://beckerexhibits.wustl.edu/did/timeline/index.htm
                      <<snip>>

                      I found a translation of the chapter in "Magia Naturalis" which
                      describes what has been interpreted as a hearing aid.
                      It's in Book 20, chapter V "How an Instrument may be made, that we may
                      hear by it a great way."

                      The translation is online here:
                      http://homepages.tscnet.com/omard1/jportac20.html#bk20V

                      "Adrianus Counsul of Rome" referred to in the text might be Emporer
                      Hadrian from the 2nd century CE, according to this website:
                      http://website.lineone.net/~rweinkove/hearing/

                      The other type of Renaissance 'hearing aid' that I found out about is
                      'bone conduction', where sound vibrations are transmitted through the
                      bones of the skull. The soundwaves bypassed the ear drum, instead
                      being picked up by the inner ears' cochlea which was helpful for
                      people with middle-ear deafness. (Known since the 1550s)

                      There's a little information about bone-conduction here:
                      http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/447787_4 (Scroll down to
                      "Vibratory Sensation and the Tuning Fork")
                      or the full article here:
                      http://www.neurology.ufl.edu/Publications/Okun/origins%20sensory.pdf

                      It seems that it was suggested that this could be used as a hearing
                      aid by using a rod to pick up vibrations:
                      http://archotol.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/102/5/315

                      Hope the information is helpful,
                      ~Asfridhr
                    • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 24, 2007
                        I'm thinking
                        > ANY visible device can be worked into the schpiel.
                        > chris catalfamo

                        A tabard with the Deafness Foundation (or whatever your local is) logo
                        on it? Not exactly traditional I know, but it would be right in
                        everyone's face.

                        Rosie
                        Lochac
                      • Chris Catalfamo
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 24, 2007
                          > A tabard with the Deafness Foundation (or whatever your local is) logo
                          > on it? Not exactly traditional I know, but it would be right in
                          > everyone's face.
                          >
                          > Rosie
                          > Lochac

                          You know--that would be a great idea for the 21st century. When you're
                          hearing impaired people think you're ignorant because they may speak to you
                          and you don't answer because unless they're right in front of you looking at
                          you, you may not know they've spoken.
                          But I have solved the problem. Since I don't know any farmers, I ordered a
                          powder horn, with plugs at both ends. I'll just tie on a ribbon and remove
                          the plugs.
                          chris catalfamo
                        • kittencat3@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 24, 2007
                            I know that the Acoustic Neuroma Association sells small pins that indicate
                            whether one is deaf on the right or the left side. They're at
                            _www.anausa.org_ (http://www.anausa.org) if that might help.

                            Sarah Davies

                            (right side AN with 25% hearing loss, which is why I frequently turn my head
                            so that people can speak into my left ear)

                          • Chris Catalfamo
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 24, 2007
                              >I know that the Acoustic Neuroma Association sells small pins that indicate
                              > whether one is deaf on the right or the left side. They're at
                              > _www.anausa.org_ (http://www.anausa.org) if

                              Well for me it doesn't matter. I'm just as deaf in both ears--over 90%
                              chris catalfamo
                            • Darter
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 25, 2007
                                Without reading all the replies in this text, I am not sure if someone
                                already posted this. I just stumbled upon this:
                                http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/1/0/9/4/10940/10940-h/images/fig376.png
                                on the site: http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/1/0/9/4/10940/10940-h/10940-
                                h.htm

                                It's figure 376.

                                Regards,
                                Darter
                              • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 25, 2007
                                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, kittencat3@... wrote:

                                  > I know that the Acoustic Neuroma Association sells small pins that
                                  indicate
                                  > whether one is deaf on the right or the left side. They're at
                                  > _www.anausa.org_ (http://www.anausa.org) if that might help.
                                  >
                                  > Sarah Davies
                                  >
                                  > (right side AN with 25% hearing loss, which is why I frequently
                                  turn my head
                                  > so that people can speak into my left ear)

                                  The problem is (as you've probably noticed) that alerting people to
                                  your deafness is no guarantee that they know what to do about it, or
                                  that they will remember to do it. Deaf or Hard-of-Hearing Culture is
                                  something you have to be trained to. My lord is half Deaf, so our
                                  home life is culturally Hard of Hearing. I can't talk to anyone who
                                  has their head in a cupboard or the fridge, even when I know they're
                                  hearing!
                                  Rosie
                                  P.S Some events in the US are interpreted, to a greater or lesser
                                  degree. If any of you sign, you could try contacting them. "Silent
                                  Heralds" they call themselves. They have a yahoo group.