Fabric Dyes

  • Kendra Deveraux
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 14, 2007
      Got a dye question for everyone....

      I found this fabric (very very very cheap) which is a soft cotton, but
      dyed oddly. It's dyed medium green on the top, light green in the center
      and dark green on the top. Is this period at all? I don't even know
      where to start on this one.

      (If not then it does have other options for use...)

      Thanks
      Kendra Deveraux

      --
      “This above all: to thine own self be true”
      ~ Shakespeare

      "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat; they do not exist"
      ~ Queen Victoria
    • kittencat3@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 14, 2007
        That's not a period style as far as I know, at least in Europe. Is there
        any way you could overdye it with a dark color that might mute the contrast?

        Sarah Davies

      • wodeford
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 14, 2007
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Kendra Deveraux <kedeveraux@...>
          wrote:

          > I found this fabric (very very very cheap) which is a soft cotton, but
          > dyed oddly. It's dyed medium green on the top, light green in the
          center
          > and dark green on the top. Is this period at all?

          Well, the closest thing I can think of is a modern depiction of a
          medieval Japanese garment in the Kyoto Costume Museum collection. This
          woman is wearing a sort of wrapping skirt called a mobakama and it has
          a fade-to-white dye effect on it.

          http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/9.htm

          Jehanne de Wodeford
          West Kingdom
        • Kendra Deveraux
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 15, 2007
            MODERATOR'S NOTE: As a courtesy to our many members who receive this list in digest form, please do not top post. You left three (3) messages appended below your reply. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

            Message order rearranged below:
            kittencat3@... wrote:

            > That's not a period style as far as I know, at least in Europe. Is there
            > any way you could overdye it with a dark color that might mute the
            > contrast?

            Don't think so, but when I looked at the fabric again, the different
            isn't quite as noticable so it almost look like it was dyed in dye on
            the selevages but the center didn't quite get in it.
            Kendra