Crochet

  • ecreech81
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
      I was carving a new needle out today and was wondering when crochet
      came about...........Hmmmmmmmm....
      ~Elisha
    • Ann Catelli
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
        --- ecreech81 <ecreech81@...> wrote:

        > I was carving a new needle out today and was
        > wondering when crochet came about......
        > ~Elisha

        Early nineteenth century for the earliest pattern,
        like 1830??iirc?, probably developed from the
        eighteenth century tambour embroidery craze.

        Sorry.

        Ann in CT

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
          On 6/10/07, ecreech81 <ecreech81@...> wrote:
          > I was carving a new needle out today and was wondering when crochet
          > came about...........Hmmmmmmmm....
          > ~Elisha

          Early Victorian or perhaps just before.

          Onaree

          --
          Proud List Mom of Irish_Crochet_Lovers
        • tasha_medvedeva
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "ecreech81" <ecreech81@...> wrote:

            > I was carving a new needle out today and was wondering when crochet
            > came about...........Hmmmmmmmm....
            > ~Elisha

            19th century, to the best of my knowledge. 18th at the earliest; I've
            seen no evidence that it was done in our period.

            Knitting, on the other hand, is quite ancient.

            Tasha
          • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007

              >Knitting, on the other hand, is quite ancient.

              11th c in Egypt, and 14th c in Europe. Old but not exactly ancient.

              http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/knitting-msg.html

              Ranvaig
            • tasha_medvedeva
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 10, 2007
                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, ranvaig@... wrote:

                > >Knitting, on the other hand, is quite ancient.
                >
                > 11th c in Egypt, and 14th c in Europe. Old but not exactly ancient.
                >
                > http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/knitting-msg.html
                >
                > Ranvaig

                Compared to crochet, it is.

                Tasha
                who meant "ancient" in terms of "really mucking old" as opposed to
                "ancint Greece or Egypt".
              • Cynthia J Ley
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 11, 2007
                  If you're interested, you might also check out nalbinding and sprang as
                  other forms of woven needleworks.

                  Arlys

                  On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 03:44:07 -0000 "tasha_medvedeva"
                  <tasha_medvedeva@...> writes:
                  > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "ecreech81" <ecreech81@...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I was carving a new needle out today and was wondering when
                  > crochet
                  > > came about...........Hmmmmmmmm....
                  > > ~Elisha
                  > >

                  > 19th century, to the best of my knowledge. 18th at the earliest;
                  > I've
                  > seen no evidence that it was done in our period.
                  >
                  > Knitting, on the other hand, is quite ancient.
                  >
                  > Tasha

                • Chris Laning
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 11, 2007
                    Cynthia wrote:
                    >Which came first--tambour work or crochet? And
                    >how do they relate to needle made embroidery
                    >chain stitch?

                    To the best of our knowledge, needle-made chain stitch came first; there are Islamic examples from very early centuries AD:
                    http://www.bayrose.org/wkneedle/Articles/historical_chain.html

                    Tambour seems to have been a 17th-century invention, though I'm not clear on its history, and crochet -- according to the current consensus -- seems to have originated as a sort of "tambour without a background" -- when someone figured out that the chain stitches, suitably arranged, could hold together on their own without cloth.

                    The article Sorcha quotes is here:
                    http://claning.home.igc.org/articles/crochet.html

                    Hope this is helpful! Santina Levey's _Lace: A History_ probably has the best treatment of early crochet I've seen, with Lis Paludan's crochet book a close runner-up. There just isn't a whole lot of information on when and where crochet came from, alas! :(

                    (Dame) Christian de Holacombe

                    0 Chris Laning
                    | <claning@...>
                    + Davis, California
                  • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 12, 2007
                      >--- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, ranvaig@... wrote:
                      >>

                      >> >Knitting, on the other hand, is quite ancient.
                      >>
                      >> 11th c in Egypt, and 14th c in Europe. Old but not exactly ancient.
                      >>
                      >> http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/knitting-msg.html
                      >>
                      >> Ranvaig
                      >>

                      >Compared to crochet, it is.
                      >
                      >Tasha
                      >who meant "ancient" in terms of "really mucking old" as opposed to
                      >"ancint Greece or Egypt".

                      To this Viking they both seem pretty "modern", compared to netting, for instance. *smile*

                      Ranvaig
                    • ecreech81
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 14, 2007
                        MODERATOR'S NOTE: (1) As a courtesy to our many members who receive this list in digest form, please do not top post. You left three (3) messages appended below your reply. (2) Please sign all your posts, so we can better get to know each other. Thank you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator.

                        [Message ordere rearranged and edited below.]

                        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, ranvaig@... wrote:

                        > To this Viking they both seem pretty "modern", compared to
                        netting, for instance. *smile*

                        > Ranvaig

                        netting?
                      • Sandra Dodd
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 14, 2007
                          -=-netting?-=-

                          http://sandradodd.com/guestfest/netting

                          Just last month there was a workshop here on netting, by Duchess Leah
                          Kasmira, who provided some links and things for me to scan.

                          The handout (which she forgot to bring that night but sent later) was
                          actually be Magistra Nicolaa de Bracton
                          and it's there too.

                          AElflaed of Duckford
                          Outlands