Re: Wool Fabric Special From B. Black & Son

  • borderlands15213
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 8, 2007
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Lilinah <lilinah@...> wrote:
      <<,snipped>>>

      > Another member of my "guild" (a group of actors) wore a woolen outfit
      > (and wool flannel, at that!). She said that her outfit - a basic
      > simple skirt and bodies, with a cotton or linen shift - was no hotter
      > than upholstery weight cotton, and cooler than synthetic blends.

      This is what friends who've done Rev War re-enacting (but are playing
      in SCA, too) have said to me, too. Wool outer clothing (and the
      British military uniforms are required to be a specific weight of wool,
      I believe---heavier than tropical) and linen "small clothes" were/are
      as comfortable, or more so, as wearing modern cotton T's and jeans or
      denim skirts.

      Yseult the Gentle
    • Chris Laning
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 8, 2007
        In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Lilinah <lilinah@...> wrote:

        > Another member of my "guild" (a group of actors) wore a woolen outfit
        > (and wool flannel, at that!). She said that her outfit - a basic
        > simple skirt and bodies, with a cotton or linen shift - was no hotter
        > than upholstery weight cotton, and cooler than synthetic blends.

        If that was a reference to me (and it could have been, she and I used to play in the same guild) then I'd qualify that slightly: while I sometimes felt "warm" in that outfit in hot weather, I never felt damp or sweaty, which was a big advantage and took much of the misery out of being hot. And guess where I got that wool? Yup, from B. Black. Very reasonable price, very nice quality, lovely color.

        OTOH, I would use a much lighter-weight wool another time, simply because an Elizabethan gown made from wool flannel, with all the lining, stiffening et cetera that takes, weighs a ton -- or at least, it's heavy enough to make it actually tiring to carry that much sheer poundage around. If I lived in a chilly, drafty castle I'd probably be willing to put up with a heavy outfit for warmth, but not in 106-degree California summers.

        I should also add that that particular gown -- the second wool one I've owned -- has some structural problems and I've never been very happy with it. The maker (who was not me) also used a fairly heavy cotton lining for it, adding to the excess weight. Modern cottons are often so tightly woven that I find they don't "breathe" well despite being a natural fiber. I'd make the extra effort to look for an appropriate dark-colored linen for lining another time.

        (Dame) Christian de Holacombe

        0 Chris Laning
        | <claning@...>
        + Davis, California