Re: [Authentic_SCA] Wool Fabric Special From B. Black & Son

  • Lilinah
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 7, 2007
      >From another list.... wool flannel on sale for $6.95 per yard. Well worth
      >the price if you're a wool wearing person. - Despina
      >
      >I know it may seem odd to be thinking about wool when it is going to be 96
      >degrees this week, but here is a good special from B Black & Sons. They have
      >Taupe, Pewter, Plum, Smoke and Turquoise on sale*
      >*
      >http://www.bblackandsons.com/store/woolens_specials_order_now.html

      Until a couple years ago (when my responsibilities at SCA events
      meant i couldn't go to many fairs) i was an actor at small
      Renaissance Fairs (from March to November, here in California).
      Another member of my "guild" (a group of actors) wore a woolen outfit
      (and wool flannel, at that!). She said that her outfit - a basic
      simple skirt and bodies, with a cotton or linen shift - was no hotter
      than upholstery weight cotton, and cooler than synthetic blends.

      --
      Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
      the persona formerly known as Anahita
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 8, 2007
        At 09:14 PM 6/6/2007, you wrote:
        > From another list.... wool flannel on sale for $6.95 per yard. Well worth
        >the price if you're a wool wearing person. - Despina

        Oooh...wouldn't that just make a loverly loose gown for cool nights at Pennsic?

        Laurensa
      • borderlands15213
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 8, 2007
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Lilinah <lilinah@...> wrote:
          <<,snipped>>>

          > Another member of my "guild" (a group of actors) wore a woolen outfit
          > (and wool flannel, at that!). She said that her outfit - a basic
          > simple skirt and bodies, with a cotton or linen shift - was no hotter
          > than upholstery weight cotton, and cooler than synthetic blends.

          This is what friends who've done Rev War re-enacting (but are playing
          in SCA, too) have said to me, too. Wool outer clothing (and the
          British military uniforms are required to be a specific weight of wool,
          I believe---heavier than tropical) and linen "small clothes" were/are
          as comfortable, or more so, as wearing modern cotton T's and jeans or
          denim skirts.

          Yseult the Gentle
        • Chris Laning
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 8, 2007
            In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Lilinah <lilinah@...> wrote:

            > Another member of my "guild" (a group of actors) wore a woolen outfit
            > (and wool flannel, at that!). She said that her outfit - a basic
            > simple skirt and bodies, with a cotton or linen shift - was no hotter
            > than upholstery weight cotton, and cooler than synthetic blends.

            If that was a reference to me (and it could have been, she and I used to play in the same guild) then I'd qualify that slightly: while I sometimes felt "warm" in that outfit in hot weather, I never felt damp or sweaty, which was a big advantage and took much of the misery out of being hot. And guess where I got that wool? Yup, from B. Black. Very reasonable price, very nice quality, lovely color.

            OTOH, I would use a much lighter-weight wool another time, simply because an Elizabethan gown made from wool flannel, with all the lining, stiffening et cetera that takes, weighs a ton -- or at least, it's heavy enough to make it actually tiring to carry that much sheer poundage around. If I lived in a chilly, drafty castle I'd probably be willing to put up with a heavy outfit for warmth, but not in 106-degree California summers.

            I should also add that that particular gown -- the second wool one I've owned -- has some structural problems and I've never been very happy with it. The maker (who was not me) also used a fairly heavy cotton lining for it, adding to the excess weight. Modern cottons are often so tightly woven that I find they don't "breathe" well despite being a natural fiber. I'd make the extra effort to look for an appropriate dark-colored linen for lining another time.

            (Dame) Christian de Holacombe

            0 Chris Laning
            | <claning@...>
            + Davis, California