Re: Wool Fabric Special From B. Black & Son

  • Johanna von Nurnberg
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 7, 2007
      I can totally recommend them too. The website is good and if you have
      a chance to go to their store in the L.A. fabric district I recommend
      that too since they have so many color and fabric weight choices.
      Happy sewing!
      Johanna

      > From another list.... wool flannel on sale for $6.95 per yard. Well
      worth
      > the price if you're a wool wearing person. - Despina
    • Lilinah
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 7, 2007
        >From another list.... wool flannel on sale for $6.95 per yard. Well worth
        >the price if you're a wool wearing person. - Despina
        >
        >I know it may seem odd to be thinking about wool when it is going to be 96
        >degrees this week, but here is a good special from B Black & Sons. They have
        >Taupe, Pewter, Plum, Smoke and Turquoise on sale*
        >*
        >http://www.bblackandsons.com/store/woolens_specials_order_now.html

        Until a couple years ago (when my responsibilities at SCA events
        meant i couldn't go to many fairs) i was an actor at small
        Renaissance Fairs (from March to November, here in California).
        Another member of my "guild" (a group of actors) wore a woolen outfit
        (and wool flannel, at that!). She said that her outfit - a basic
        simple skirt and bodies, with a cotton or linen shift - was no hotter
        than upholstery weight cotton, and cooler than synthetic blends.

        --
        Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
        the persona formerly known as Anahita
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 8, 2007
          At 09:14 PM 6/6/2007, you wrote:
          > From another list.... wool flannel on sale for $6.95 per yard. Well worth
          >the price if you're a wool wearing person. - Despina

          Oooh...wouldn't that just make a loverly loose gown for cool nights at Pennsic?

          Laurensa
        • borderlands15213
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 8, 2007
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Lilinah <lilinah@...> wrote:
            <<,snipped>>>

            > Another member of my "guild" (a group of actors) wore a woolen outfit
            > (and wool flannel, at that!). She said that her outfit - a basic
            > simple skirt and bodies, with a cotton or linen shift - was no hotter
            > than upholstery weight cotton, and cooler than synthetic blends.

            This is what friends who've done Rev War re-enacting (but are playing
            in SCA, too) have said to me, too. Wool outer clothing (and the
            British military uniforms are required to be a specific weight of wool,
            I believe---heavier than tropical) and linen "small clothes" were/are
            as comfortable, or more so, as wearing modern cotton T's and jeans or
            denim skirts.

            Yseult the Gentle
          • Chris Laning
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 8, 2007
              In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Lilinah <lilinah@...> wrote:

              > Another member of my "guild" (a group of actors) wore a woolen outfit
              > (and wool flannel, at that!). She said that her outfit - a basic
              > simple skirt and bodies, with a cotton or linen shift - was no hotter
              > than upholstery weight cotton, and cooler than synthetic blends.

              If that was a reference to me (and it could have been, she and I used to play in the same guild) then I'd qualify that slightly: while I sometimes felt "warm" in that outfit in hot weather, I never felt damp or sweaty, which was a big advantage and took much of the misery out of being hot. And guess where I got that wool? Yup, from B. Black. Very reasonable price, very nice quality, lovely color.

              OTOH, I would use a much lighter-weight wool another time, simply because an Elizabethan gown made from wool flannel, with all the lining, stiffening et cetera that takes, weighs a ton -- or at least, it's heavy enough to make it actually tiring to carry that much sheer poundage around. If I lived in a chilly, drafty castle I'd probably be willing to put up with a heavy outfit for warmth, but not in 106-degree California summers.

              I should also add that that particular gown -- the second wool one I've owned -- has some structural problems and I've never been very happy with it. The maker (who was not me) also used a fairly heavy cotton lining for it, adding to the excess weight. Modern cottons are often so tightly woven that I find they don't "breathe" well despite being a natural fiber. I'd make the extra effort to look for an appropriate dark-colored linen for lining another time.

              (Dame) Christian de Holacombe

              0 Chris Laning
              | <claning@...>
              + Davis, California