Wool Fabric Special From B. Black & Son

  • Amy Heilveil
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 6, 2007
      From another list.... wool flannel on sale for $6.95 per yard. Well worth
      the price if you're a wool wearing person. - Despina

      I know it may seem odd to be thinking about wool when it is going to be 96
      degrees this week, but here is a good special from B Black & Sons. They have
      Taupe, Pewter, Plum, Smoke and Turquoise on sale*
      *

      http://www.bblackandsons.com/store/woolens_specials_order_now.html

      .

    • Johanna von Nurnberg
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 7, 2007
        I can totally recommend them too. The website is good and if you have
        a chance to go to their store in the L.A. fabric district I recommend
        that too since they have so many color and fabric weight choices.
        Happy sewing!
        Johanna

        > From another list.... wool flannel on sale for $6.95 per yard. Well
        worth
        > the price if you're a wool wearing person. - Despina
      • Lilinah
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 7, 2007
          >From another list.... wool flannel on sale for $6.95 per yard. Well worth
          >the price if you're a wool wearing person. - Despina
          >
          >I know it may seem odd to be thinking about wool when it is going to be 96
          >degrees this week, but here is a good special from B Black & Sons. They have
          >Taupe, Pewter, Plum, Smoke and Turquoise on sale*
          >*
          >http://www.bblackandsons.com/store/woolens_specials_order_now.html

          Until a couple years ago (when my responsibilities at SCA events
          meant i couldn't go to many fairs) i was an actor at small
          Renaissance Fairs (from March to November, here in California).
          Another member of my "guild" (a group of actors) wore a woolen outfit
          (and wool flannel, at that!). She said that her outfit - a basic
          simple skirt and bodies, with a cotton or linen shift - was no hotter
          than upholstery weight cotton, and cooler than synthetic blends.

          --
          Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
          the persona formerly known as Anahita
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 8, 2007
            At 09:14 PM 6/6/2007, you wrote:
            > From another list.... wool flannel on sale for $6.95 per yard. Well worth
            >the price if you're a wool wearing person. - Despina

            Oooh...wouldn't that just make a loverly loose gown for cool nights at Pennsic?

            Laurensa
          • borderlands15213
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 8, 2007
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Lilinah <lilinah@...> wrote:
              <<,snipped>>>

              > Another member of my "guild" (a group of actors) wore a woolen outfit
              > (and wool flannel, at that!). She said that her outfit - a basic
              > simple skirt and bodies, with a cotton or linen shift - was no hotter
              > than upholstery weight cotton, and cooler than synthetic blends.

              This is what friends who've done Rev War re-enacting (but are playing
              in SCA, too) have said to me, too. Wool outer clothing (and the
              British military uniforms are required to be a specific weight of wool,
              I believe---heavier than tropical) and linen "small clothes" were/are
              as comfortable, or more so, as wearing modern cotton T's and jeans or
              denim skirts.

              Yseult the Gentle
            • Chris Laning
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 8, 2007
                In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Lilinah <lilinah@...> wrote:

                > Another member of my "guild" (a group of actors) wore a woolen outfit
                > (and wool flannel, at that!). She said that her outfit - a basic
                > simple skirt and bodies, with a cotton or linen shift - was no hotter
                > than upholstery weight cotton, and cooler than synthetic blends.

                If that was a reference to me (and it could have been, she and I used to play in the same guild) then I'd qualify that slightly: while I sometimes felt "warm" in that outfit in hot weather, I never felt damp or sweaty, which was a big advantage and took much of the misery out of being hot. And guess where I got that wool? Yup, from B. Black. Very reasonable price, very nice quality, lovely color.

                OTOH, I would use a much lighter-weight wool another time, simply because an Elizabethan gown made from wool flannel, with all the lining, stiffening et cetera that takes, weighs a ton -- or at least, it's heavy enough to make it actually tiring to carry that much sheer poundage around. If I lived in a chilly, drafty castle I'd probably be willing to put up with a heavy outfit for warmth, but not in 106-degree California summers.

                I should also add that that particular gown -- the second wool one I've owned -- has some structural problems and I've never been very happy with it. The maker (who was not me) also used a fairly heavy cotton lining for it, adding to the excess weight. Modern cottons are often so tightly woven that I find they don't "breathe" well despite being a natural fiber. I'd make the extra effort to look for an appropriate dark-colored linen for lining another time.

                (Dame) Christian de Holacombe

                0 Chris Laning
                | <claning@...>
                + Davis, California