Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Seeking Spanish info

  • Stephen Higa
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 28, 2001
      > I'm hoping to present a similar thing to the dinner party
      > described by al-Yamani, with Moorish, Jewish and Christian guests (even
      > though they would not have mingled socially very much in reality, for this
      > event to be practical guests have to have some choice).

      Good idea. :) Actually, there was a little more mingling than one might
      think, especially between Jews and Muslims...

      > Thanks also for the
      > links, I have a few Andalusian cookbooks including Duke Cariadoc's, and
      > will be contacting Mistress Anahita, so the food should be *very* good!

      Of course it'll be. :)

      > have several books on Arabic and Islamic poetry, I was going to calligraph
      > several poems for guests to read. I'm also making wall hangings decorated
      > with Arabic calligraphy, and if I get time am going to decorate some of the
      > serving dishes with Islamic calligrams and proverbs.

      Wow, you're going all out! Congratulations on putting together something so
      cool.

      > I can get someone who
      > play the oud and shawn, and I'm looking into hiring an Australian music
      > group called Cantigas, who play music from medieval Spain, the crusades and
      > the Middle East-but we'll have to see how the budget looks! Again, many
      thanks.

      Hey, where are you going to be putting it on? If it's near the San
      Francisco Bay Area, myself and some others would be happy to perform, I'm
      sure. :) Some muwashshahat in the re-created medieval fashion...

      Tell us how it turns out! Sounds amazing.

      Moshe
      By a veiled crescent moon; a human Gazelle, surpassing other Gazelles.
      Oh, would that I knew whether I will win him, or gain consolation!
      --ibn Zuhr (12th c.)
    • Mark Calderwood
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 31, 2001
        > > have several books on Arabic and Islamic poetry, I was going to calligraph
        > > several poems for guests to read.
        >Wow, you're going all out! Congratulations on putting together something so
        >cool.

        Thank you! I'm a huge fan of themed events that expose people to something
        new, and have run a few over the years, mostly from the Middle east or
        Byzantium. They involve a lot of research and are a lot of work, but I
        think are very well worth it.

        For this particular feast I'm looking at Moorish banners and tiraz curtains
        for the walls, the floors will have rugs, cushions and a few low stools.
        I'm considering making a latticework screen to seperate male and female
        diners, but that may not end up being practical. Lighting will be provided
        by several polycandelon/mosque lamps we have, and I'd like to have a go at
        a really sexy pryamidal chandelier style based on an example in a Spanish
        mosque. The food will be served on low tables in accordance with the
        etiquette of Ziryab although I draw the line at fine leather being used for
        tablecloths!), and I'm hoping to hire some green-glazed Islamic/Byzantine
        serving dishes reconstructed from archeological finds by a local potter.
        Knowing my kitchen team the food will be sumptuous and blessedly free of
        non-period middle eastern items!

        As well as that, I hope there will be lots of poetry reading, games (chess,
        zatrikion, alquerque, sirret), I daresay plenty of lighthearted flirting
        through the screen, music, singing and dancing. I hadn't thought of a
        puppet show, but it's a good idea, if I'm not exhausted with all the
        rest of the preperations!

        >Hey, where are you going to be putting it on? If it's near the San
        >Francisco Bay Area, myself and some others would be happy to perform, I'm
        >sure. :)

        It's in Sydney, Australia. Not very close to the bay area, but you've got
        eight months to save up your plane fare and come over! :o)

        Giles
      • Beth
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2 6:05 PM
          This is an announcement for an event held in Meridies called Andalusian Extravaganza. I enjoyed the historical text and the link they provided for more information. Their focus seems to be dance.

          Ragnel

          Arabic and Islamic poetry, I was going to  calligraph
          > > several
          poems for guests to read.
          >Wow, you're going all out!
          Congratulations on putting together something so
          >cool.

          Thank you! I'm a huge fan of themed events that expose people to something
          new, and have run a few over the years, mostly from the Middle east or
          Byzantium. They involve a lot of research and are a lot of work, but I
          think are very well worth it.

          For this particular feast I'm looking at Moorish banners and tiraz curtains
          for the walls, the floors will have rugs, cushions and a few low stools.
          I'm considering making a latticework screen to seperate male and female
          diners, but that may not end up being practical. Lighting will be provided
          by several polycandelon/mosque lamps we have, and I'd like to have a go at
          a really sexy pryamidal chandelier style based on an example in a Spanish
          mosque. The food will be served on low tables in accordance with the
          etiquette of Ziryab although I draw the line at fine leather being used for
          tablecloths!), and I'm hoping to hire some green-glazed Islamic/Byzantine
          serving dishes reconstructed from archeological finds by a local potter.
          Knowing my kitchen team the food will be sumptuous and blessedly free of
          non-period middle eastern items!

          As well as that, I hope there will be lots of poetry reading, games (chess,
          zatrikion, alquerque, sirret), I daresay plenty of lighthearted flirting
          through the screen, music, singing and dancing. I hadn't thought of a
          puppet show, but it's a good idea, if I'm not exhausted with all the
          rest  of the preperations!

          >Hey,
          where are you going to be putting it on?  If it's near the San
          >Francisco Bay Area, myself and some others would be happy to perform,
          I'm
          >sure. :)

          It's in Sydney, Australia. Not very close to the bay area, but you've got
          eight months to save up your plane fare and come over! :o)

          Giles

          This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

        • Stephen Higa
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 7 9:16 PM
            > Thank you! I'm a huge fan of themed events that expose people to something
            > new, and have run a few over the years, mostly from the Middle east or
            > Byzantium. They involve a lot of research and are a lot of work, but I
            > think are very well worth it.

            I've never been to a themed event, and I don't recall ever hearing of any
            where I am (in the West). However, a Maghrebi persona and I have been
            fantasizing about some day putting up a pavillion at an event for Medieval
            Spanish persona play, discussion of philosophy/science/theology/litereature,
            poetry reading, etc. If we ever do that, I'll certainly ask you for advice!

            > For this particular feast I'm looking at Moorish banners and tiraz curtains
            > for the walls, the floors will have rugs, cushions and a few low stools.
            > I'm considering making a latticework screen to seperate male and female
            > diners, but that may not end up being practical. Lighting will be provided
            > by several polycandelon/mosque lamps we have, and I'd like to have a go at
            > a really sexy pryamidal chandelier style based on an example in a Spanish
            > mosque. The food will be served on low tables in accordance with the
            > etiquette of Ziryab although I draw the line at fine leather being used for
            > tablecloths!), and I'm hoping to hire some green-glazed Islamic/Byzantine
            > serving dishes reconstructed from archeological finds by a local potter.
            > Knowing my kitchen team the food will be sumptuous and blessedly free of
            > non-period middle eastern items!

            Ahhhhh...that sounds so very cool! You've really done your research. I
            especially love the re-created pottery!

            > As well as that, I hope there will be lots of poetry reading, games (chess,
            > zatrikion, alquerque, sirret), I daresay plenty of lighthearted flirting
            > through the screen, music, singing and dancing. I hadn't thought of a
            > puppet show, but it's a good idea, if I'm not exhausted with all the
            > rest of the preperations!

            [writhing with frustration over not being able to attend]

            > It's in Sydney, Australia. Not very close to the bay area, but you've got
            > eight months to save up your plane fare and come over! :o)

            Umm, okay... Rats! Why do you have to live in Australia??

            Moshe
            Qu'er non es grazitz lunhs mestiers
            menhs en cort que de belh saber
            de trobar -- qu'auzir e vezer
            hi vol hom mais captenhs leugiers
            e critz mesclatz ab dezonor.

            --Guiraut Riquier, 1292
          • Stephen Higa
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 7 9:16 PM
              Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Seeking Spanish info aCtually, there was recently a discussion on the Medieval Spain eGroup as to the periodness (a word?) of "flamenco" dancing.  If anybody's interested, I'll forward some of the info. :)

              ----------
              From: "Beth" <ragnel@...>
              To: <Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com>
              Subject: Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Seeking Spanish info
              Date: Fri, Feb 2, 2001, 6:05 PM

              This is an announcement for an event held in Meridies called Andalusian Extravaganza. I enjoyed the historical text and the link they provided for more information. Their focus seems to be dance.

              http://seleone.webjump.com/andalusia.htm

              Ragnel

              > > have several books on Arabic and Islamic poetry, I was going to  calligraph
              > > several poems for guests to read.
              >Wow, you're going all out!  Congratulations on putting together something so
              >cool.

              Thank you! I'm a huge fan of themed events that expose people to something
              new, and have run a few over the years, mostly from the Middle east or
              Byzantium. They involve a lot of research and are a lot of work, but I
              think are very well worth it.

              For this particular feast I'm looking at Moorish banners and tiraz curtains
              for the walls, the floors will have rugs, cushions and a few low stools.
              I'm considering making a latticework screen to seperate male and female
              diners, but that may not end up being practical. Lighting will be provided
              by several polycandelon/mosque lamps we have, and I'd like to have a go at
              a really sexy pryamidal chandelier style based on an example in a Spanish
              mosque. The food will be served on low tables in accordance with the
              etiquette of Ziryab although I draw the line at fine leather being used for
              tablecloths!), and I'm hoping to hire some green-glazed Islamic/Byzantine
              serving dishes reconstructed from archeological finds by a local potter.
              Knowing my kitchen team the food will be sumptuous and blessedly free of
              non-period middle eastern items!

              As well as that, I hope there will be lots of poetry reading, games (chess,
              zatrikion, alquerque, sirret), I daresay plenty of lighthearted flirting
              through the screen, music, singing and dancing. I hadn't thought of a
              puppet show, but it's a good idea, if I'm not exhausted with all the
              rest  of the preperations!

              >Hey, where are you going to be putting it on?  If it's near the San
              >Francisco Bay Area, myself and some others would be happy to perform, I'm
              >sure. :)

              It's in Sydney, Australia. Not very close to the bay area, but you've got
              eight months to save up your plane fare and come over! :o)

              Giles

              This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              www..com