Re: [Authentic_SCA] Middle Eastern Question

  • Lilinah
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
      I wrote:
      >As for fabric to use to look royal in, some 2-color damask with
      >small patterns might be good. Colors to go for are rich red, golden
      >yellow, white, and various shades of indigo blue.
      >
      >Another typical early Persian motif is the roundel featuring either
      >a mounted warrior (i.e., on horseback) or a "big cat" attacking an
      >herbivore (deer, camel, bull, other) and often with a "pearl" border
      >(i.e., having a circumference of small solid circles). From what i
      >can tell, roundels were still featured on lampas weave fabric during
      >the Seljuk period.

      Here are a couple Seljuk period fabric fragments i found some time
      ago at the website of the Cleveland Museum of Art:
      -- Lampas weave fabric with animals in roundels
      [http://www.clevelandart.org/Explore/departmentWork.asp?deptgroup=3&recNo=299]
      -- Lampas weave fabric of simurghs in medium indigo blue silk and metallic gold
      [http://www.clevelandart.org/Explore/work.asp?searchText=1945%2E14&recNo=0&tab=2&display=]

      --
      Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
      the persona formerly known as Anahita
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
        Whew! I finally found the "thumbnail" pages for those huge Mevlana Tekke files.
        http://rubens.anu.edu.au/turkey/konya/mevlana_tekke/museum/textiles/clothing/index.php?page=1
        and
        http://rubens.anu.edu.au/turkey/konya/mevlana_tekke/museum/textiles/clothing/index.php?page=2

        So, if you've been holding back, now you can preview before clicking...