Re: [Authentic_SCA] Middle Eastern Question

  • Per Braz
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
      Greetings !
      We have made some seldjuk/turkish/arabic garbs from end of XIIth century here
      http://www.1186-583.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=21
      You can see some sharbush style hats here :
      http://www.1186-583.org/article.php3?id_article=101
      http://www.1186-583.org/article.php3?id_article=145
      (sorry it is just in French but pictures are useful)
      An excellent article about it is here :
      http://www.havenonline.com/moas/northstar/vol2no1/An%20Islamic%20Military%20Cap%20
      (Tarik).htm
      Atakan al Vefa is an a Seldjuk character, Zahr is Turkish but with some
      Arabic/Kurdish/Turkmen influences.
      Hope it can help.
      Yann aka Per Braz aka Abu Hamir

      --
      Per Braz - perbraz@...
      webmestre http://www.1186-583.org
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
        Terrific help Urtatim, thanks very much.
        From the email this morning my gentleman is Seljuk. So....
        he is Turkish eh? hmmm.....he has a determination to
        follow Persian inspirations.
        So, having the strong Turkish influence there might
        be an opportunity for some minor changes.......more
        elaborate fabrics etc.?
        Thanks again for all your help. Sine

        Windows Live Hotmail gives you the control you need to help you keep your
        e-mail private, safe and secure. See for yourself!
        www.newhotmail.ca?icid=WLHMENCA147
      • Lilinah
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
          Greetings:

          Cool! I've been admiring the 1186-583 website for quite a while.
          There's some excellent stuff on it.

          >We have made some seldjuk/turkish/arabic garbs from end of XIIth century here
          >http://www.1186-583.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=21
          >You can see some sharbush style hats here :
          >http://www.1186-583.org/article.php3?id_article=101
          >http://www.1186-583.org/article.php3?id_article=145

          Yes!!! These are really useful pages on the hat i mentioned. I've
          saved them and bookmarked them, but forgot about it when i made my
          recommendations :-(

          >(sorry it is just in French but pictures are useful)

          I can help translate...

          >An excellent article about it is here :
          >http://www.havenonline.com/moas/northstar/vol2no1/An%20Islamic%20Military%20Cap%20(Tarik).htm

          Alas, the illustrations are missing (and from most of the articles on
          this site)... did you (or someone else), by chance, save them?

          --
          Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
          the persona formerly known as Anahita
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
            Le mardi 5 juin 2007, Lilinah a écrit :
            > Cool! I've been admiring the 1186-583 website for quite a while.
            > There's some excellent stuff on it.
            Thanks a lot. I plan to upgrade the website to a new CMS engine before the end
            of the year, with the possibility to have foreign languages, including
            English of course. And we haven't pusblished a lot recently as we are working
            hard on a book project to be released for next year. We should begin again to
            put stuff during Summer I think, we have quite some new things to show and a
            lot of ideas :)

            > >(sorry it is just in French but pictures are useful)
            > I can help translate...
            So do I of course :)

            > Alas, the illustrations are missing (and from most of the articles on
            > this site)... did you (or someone else), by chance, save them?
            I don't think
            I will ask on our internal forum, by chance.
            All the best
            Yann aka Per Braz

            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
              Sine wrote:
              >From the email this morning my gentleman is Seljuk. So....
              >he is Turkish eh? hmmm.....he has a determination to
              >follow Persian inspirations.

              As did many Seljuks after they conquered much of Persia :-) Persian
              culture was THE culture to emulate - even the 'Abbasid Arabs copied
              many aspects of Persian culture.

              >So, having the strong Turkish influence there might
              >be an opportunity for some minor changes...more
              >elaborate fabrics etc.?

              Unfortunately, the Mongols followed on the heels of the Seljuks and
              were quite destructive, so there's a very limited amount of clothing
              left. There are some garments in modern Turkey, in the Anatolian city
              of Konya, which was the capital city of the Seljuks of Rum in the
              12th& 13th centuries. They're in a museum, the Mevlana Museum,
              dedicated to the famous poet Rumi (so-called because he lived in Rum,
              i.e., a region that had formerly belonged to the "Romans", what the
              Byzantines called themselves). Mevlana Celaleddin (or Jalaluddin)
              Rumi was born in Balkh, a city in medieval Persia, now in
              Afghanistan. His family fled westward to escape the Mongols. He was a
              Sufi, the Mevlevi order, sometimes called "whirling dervishes".

              There are some not-terribly good photos from the museum on-line.
              [http://rubens.anu.edu.au/raid1/turkey2/cd10/konya/mevlana_tekke/MUSEUM/textiles/clothing/%5d
              the graphics are freakin' huge (mostly around 1mg!) but should be helpful.

              As for fabric to use to look royal in, some 2-color damask with small
              patterns might be good. Colors to go for are rich red, golden yellow,
              white, and various shades of indigo blue.

              Another typical early Persian motif is the roundel featuring either a
              mounted warrior (i.e., on horseback) or a "big cat" attacking an
              herbivore (deer, camel, bull, other) and often with a "pearl" border
              (i.e., having a circumference of small solid circles). From what i
              can tell, roundels were still featured on lampas weave fabric during
              the Seljuk period.

              These sorts of patterns are admittedly hard to find in modern fabric
              - but you never know, you might find some. A few years ago i actually
              found some white cellulose rayon with indigo printed cintamani (a
              typical royal Ottoman pattern). The scale was wrong (it was small and
              Ottomans liked BIG patterns) but i HAD to get some. It's the only
              time in 8 years i've seen modern commercial cintamani.

              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                I wrote:
                >As for fabric to use to look royal in, some 2-color damask with
                >small patterns might be good. Colors to go for are rich red, golden
                >yellow, white, and various shades of indigo blue.
                >
                >Another typical early Persian motif is the roundel featuring either
                >a mounted warrior (i.e., on horseback) or a "big cat" attacking an
                >herbivore (deer, camel, bull, other) and often with a "pearl" border
                >(i.e., having a circumference of small solid circles). From what i
                >can tell, roundels were still featured on lampas weave fabric during
                >the Seljuk period.

                Here are a couple Seljuk period fabric fragments i found some time
                ago at the website of the Cleveland Museum of Art:
                -- Lampas weave fabric with animals in roundels
                [http://www.clevelandart.org/Explore/departmentWork.asp?deptgroup=3&recNo=299]
                -- Lampas weave fabric of simurghs in medium indigo blue silk and metallic gold
                [http://www.clevelandart.org/Explore/work.asp?searchText=1945%2E14&recNo=0&tab=2&display=]

                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                  Whew! I finally found the "thumbnail" pages for those huge Mevlana Tekke files.
                  http://rubens.anu.edu.au/turkey/konya/mevlana_tekke/museum/textiles/clothing/index.php?page=1
                  and
                  http://rubens.anu.edu.au/turkey/konya/mevlana_tekke/museum/textiles/clothing/index.php?page=2

                  So, if you've been holding back, now you can preview before clicking...