Re: [Authentic_SCA] Recipes for Authentic Candies/treats

  • bronwynmgn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 2, 2007
      In a message dated 6/2/2007 7:10:50 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

      <<You might also try hedgehogs (a medieval meatball). The cooks in my shire
      do these all the time at demos, and they are extremely popular. >>

      Actually, if you follow the hedgehog recipe properly, it's not a meatball at
      all. It's a stuffed pig's stomach. People make meatballs out of the
      stuffing and call them hedgehogs, but the period recipe does not support that
      practice.

      Brangwayna Morgan

    • Janis James
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 3, 2007
        Greetings All,
        I need advice please. I have costumed Middle Eastern
        for ladies for a number of years, but have never done
        much Middle Eastern sewing for men.
        I am set and good with the actual clothing. It's the
        headwear that I'm having trouble with right now.
        The gentleman I am sewing for doesn't care for
        turbans and I have always understood that the Kafeya
        with cording band seen today is a rather modern type
        of headwear. The climate here in summer is quite hot
        and he is not comfortable with the turban.
        I am looking around about 1000 ce, and any help
        or ideas would really be appreciated.
        Cheers, Sine

        Windows Live Hotmail gives you the control you need to help you keep your
        e-mail private, safe and secure. See for yourself!
        www.newhotmail.ca?icid=WLHMENCA147
      • Lilinah
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 4, 2007
          Sine wrote:
          > The gentleman I am sewing for doesn't care for
          >turbans

          SCAdians (and other non-Muslims) use the term "turban" far far far
          too loosely. There is a difference between a turban and a head wrap,
          but i hear people over and over call a head wrap a turban.

          A *genuine* turban is a very specific marker of high political or
          religious status "in period". A turban was for royalty, important
          religious figures, etc., and its use is often proscribed by law - the
          method of wrapping denoted the individual's status, was well as the
          type of hat over which the turban was wrapped. So turbans are
          generally inappropriate for SCAdians

          Head wraps, on the other hand, are often quite appropriate for
          SCAdians. Head wraps are a great deal simpler than turbans and are
          relatively common.

          Head wraps are still commonly seen throughout Dar al-Islam. Turbans
          are quite rare. I'm not trying to sell you (or the gentleman) on one,
          just to inform.

          (just as the word "veil" is used for an item of clothing for Muslim
          women and non-Muslim women in the Muslim world in such a way as to be
          almost meaningless)

          >and I have always understood that the Kafeya
          >with cording band seen today is a rather modern type
          >of headwear.

          Acutally, there is evidence for a *pure white* head cloth and a
          *simple* filet (not those big thick black and gold agals i see) at
          least in al-Andalus. I have some pictures on my website... if the
          gentleman is a Maghribi or Andalusi.

          >The climate here in summer is quite hot
          >and he is not comfortable with the turban.

          And i bet he isn't a shah, a sultan, a caliph, or an imam who has
          gone on the hajj... so a turban is likely to be inappropriate,
          although a common and simple head wrap might be appropriate.

          > I am looking around about 1000 ce, and any help
          >or ideas would really be appreciated.

          In fact, what just about anyone - adult, child, male, female - just
          about anyplace could wear is a cap. The style varies from time to
          time and place to place.

          So, where is this gentleman from? I can better suggest a style when i
          know his locale.

          --
          Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
          the persona formerly known as Anahita

          Ride your camel to Dar Anahita
          http://home.earthlink.net/~lilinah
          SCA-period Near and Middle Eastern Costuming,
          including Persian, Ottoman, Maghribi, and Andalusian,
          Medieval Muslim Egyptian knitting, and
          complete menus and period recipes from seven SCA feasts
          (from German to Persian), 23 German mushroom recipes,
          an analysis of the spices used in two different 13th C. Arabic
          language cookbooks, and more Medieval food-related stuff
        • Janis James
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 4, 2007
            Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM) wrote.........
            >SCAdians (and other non-Muslims) use the term "turban" far far far
            >too loosely. There is a difference between a turban and a head wrap,
            >but i hear people over and over call a head wrap a turban....snips......

            .........well, OK.....yes - there is indeed a difference between
            a turban and a headwrap. As the gentleman I am costuming
            for will be Royal I guess it really was appropriate! Our equivalent
            to the Shah, Sultan, Caliph etc., However, as I said he is just not
            comfortable in a Turban. He really doesn't much care for
            a headwrap either - even if that would seem to be more
            acceptable. It seems he gets extremely warm about
            the head and layers of cloth make him very, very uncomfortable.

            ......>Acutally, there is evidence for a *pure white* head cloth and a
            >*simple* filet (not those big thick black and gold agals i see) at
            >least in al-Andalus. I have some pictures on my website... if the
            >gentleman is a Maghribi or Andalusi.

            Now this would be of more interest to him. Something simple
            and cooler to the head........I understand a one strand cord (filet),
            is there a colour restriction for that? He does agree with me that
            it feels more mediaeval to have something on the head - he just
            doesn't want to be miserable in it.

            Apparently he is about 1000 C.E. Persian. You also mentioned a
            cap? Rather like the short Fez, embroidered type?
            Thank you for your time, Sine

            Upgrade to Windows Live Hotmail for free today!
            www.newhotmail.ca?icid=WLHMENCA151
          • Lilinah
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 4, 2007
              Sine wrote:
              >Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM) wrote.........
              >......>Actually, there is evidence for a *pure white* head cloth and a
              > >*simple* filet (not those big thick black and gold agals i see) at
              >>least in al-Andalus. I have some pictures on my website... if the
              >>gentleman is a Maghribi or Andalusi.
              >
              >Now this would be of more interest to him. Something simple
              >and cooler to the head........I understand a one strand cord (filet),
              >is there a colour restriction for that? He does agree with me that
              >it feels more mediaeval to have something on the head - he just
              >doesn't want to be miserable in it.
              >
              >Apparently he is about 1000 C.E. Persian. You also mentioned a
              >cap? Rather like the short Fez, embroidered type?
              >Thank you for your time,

              Uh, mmm, alas, that white head cloth is not appropriate for a
              Persian. I think a cap of some sort is going to be more appropriate
              for the rest of his clothing.

              Is he Sogdian or Seljuk?

              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 4, 2007
                .........Urtatim...wrote
                >Uh, mmm, alas, that white head cloth is not appropriate for a
                >Persian. I think a cap of some sort is going to be more appropriate
                >for the rest of his clothing.
                >
                >Is he Sogdian or Seljuk?

                I understand him to be Seljuk........now I'm not actually positive
                about that, just seem to remember that in conversation, can't
                contact him until tomorrow to clarify.
                Cheers, Sine

                Windows Live Hotmail. Now with better security, storage and features.
                www.newhotmail.ca?icid=WLHMENCA149
              • j_southwell2002
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 4, 2007
                  MODERATOR NOTE (please sign all posts to the list and please do not top post to this list, thank you) Despina moderator

                  You might look at Burnoose. In my research for a play they are a
                  popular alternative to the turban. Though I dont know if they go so
                  far back to 1000 ce.
                • Lilinah
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                    Sine wrote:
                    >I understand him to be Seljuk........now I'm not actually positive
                    >about that, just seem to remember that in conversation, can't
                    >contact him until tomorrow to clarify.

                    OK, if he's Seljuk, he's Turkish. They conquered a large part of
                    Persia, but they are Turkish linguistically, ethnically, and
                    culturally.

                    In art i see that he would have adapted to wear a turban as royalty,
                    but if he's dead set against it, a fur lined had is the next best
                    thing (yeah, right, i'm sure he'll love that idea :-) You can fake it
                    by making a cap and have the fur on the outside...

                    One hat (but it's for mortals less that the "King") is a basic cap
                    with a rectangular band around the head and the top made of triangles
                    - six would be best, although i've seen simplified versions with only
                    four, but c'mon, if he's royalty he deserves the best :-) Make the
                    parts of the hat that show of the richest jacquard silk fabric you
                    can fine - since it won't use a lot. Then that simple band around the
                    head should be of a nice rich dark brown fur - you can make it on the
                    outside only so it won't be so hot, with a simple comfy fabric on the
                    inside (cotton or linen).

                    One feature of royal caps, at least in the Minai style Seljuk art (i
                    have a real soft spot for Minai style art) is a sort of triangle
                    shape in the center front that sticks up and is gold, at least in
                    paintings, and appears to be backed or edged with fur. In reality it
                    might have been gold metal, but if you can find gilded leather that
                    might be less uncomfortable and quicker to make.

                    This web page has some nice Minai style manuscript illuminations,
                    although they're a bit fuzzy.
                    http://www.geocities.com/egfroth1/Seljuqs.htm

                    The large painting about 2/5 of the way down the page with the caption:
                    "A Seljuq court, from Kitab al Diryaq (the Book of Antidotes) by
                    Pseudo-Gallen, probably from Iraq, mid 13th century. National
                    Bibliothek, Vienna." (i figure that should say Pseudo-Galen)
                    shows the ruler in very large size almost centered. He's wearing that
                    hat i mentioned.

                    Granted, this is about 200 years later than you're looking for, but
                    clothing for rulers was often more conservative than that for
                    ordinary folks, so it may be close to what he could use.

                    Those pointed white hats with the brims do not appear to be for
                    royalty, and in period it was always important to look the part,
                    whatever one's part was. Personal comfort of royalty when out in
                    public didn't matter as much as looking impressive, although in
                    private i'm sure royalty could be a bit more informal.

                    In some versions of the Maqamat of al-Hariri produced in Seljuk
                    controlled Syria in a Seljuk influenced style, shows some men with
                    head wraps around caps - one in particular looks like a qalansuwa - a
                    somewhat tall somewhat pointy hat, generally associated with the
                    ruling class.

                    In a copy of Kalila wa-Dimna dated to 1220 and produced in Seljuk
                    controlled Baghdad all the human men appear to be wearing either
                    turbans or head wraps :-( Many of the illustrations from this book,
                    Ms. arabe 3465,

                    Both books are on-line at the site of the Biblioteque Nationale de France
                    http://expositions.bnf.fr/livrarab/
                    I seem to recall that the section in English has a lot fewer pieces
                    of art than the section in French.

                    Another Seljuk book, the story of Warka wa-Gulshah, the tale of two
                    lovers (his name is variously Romanized into Warqa and Varka; as for
                    her name, "Gul" means "rose"), is also from the early 13th century. I
                    can only assume these early 13th C. works were all pre-Mongol
                    invasion. Again, nearly all the men are shown wearing turbans or head
                    wraps. Most of the illustrations are on-line, scanned from a book
                    that reproduced them mostly in black-and-white (alas).
                    http://www.geocities.com/qilich/varga/

                    There are some color pictures from it at:
                    http://www.ee.bilkent.edu.tr/~history/early.html

                    And there are some illustrations from the 1300s... some before the
                    Mongol invasion and some after here:
                    www.ehttp://e.bilkent.edu.tr/~history/pers-II.html
                    but this is definitely getting rather late for your gentleman's persona.

                    I hope some of this is useful.
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                      Unsigned wrote:
                      >You might look at Burnoose. In my research for a play they are a
                      >popular alternative to the turban. Though I dont know if they go so
                      >far back to 1000 ce.

                      Also called selHam in Morocco (i use the capital H to indicate a
                      strong H sound). I've found evidence for them in North Africa going
                      back to Roman times, but i haven't read about or seen them outside
                      North Africa.

                      And in art from Central Asia - original home of the Seljuks, this
                      gentleman's culture - i've seen no suggestion that a hooded cloak was
                      part of the clothing system. Nor have i seen any in any Persian
                      culture from Greco-Roman times to the 17th century. What i see over
                      and over are front-opening "coats".

                      If you have an historical source for Central Asian hooded cloaks,
                      please share, because i've got one that would be comfy to wear for
                      those times i'm wearing Persian rather than North African clothing at
                      events.

                      --
                      Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
                      the persona formerly known as Anahita
                    • Per Braz
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                        Greetings !
                        We have made some seldjuk/turkish/arabic garbs from end of XIIth century here
                        http://www.1186-583.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=21
                        You can see some sharbush style hats here :
                        http://www.1186-583.org/article.php3?id_article=101
                        http://www.1186-583.org/article.php3?id_article=145
                        (sorry it is just in French but pictures are useful)
                        An excellent article about it is here :
                        http://www.havenonline.com/moas/northstar/vol2no1/An%20Islamic%20Military%20Cap%20
                        (Tarik).htm
                        Atakan al Vefa is an a Seldjuk character, Zahr is Turkish but with some
                        Arabic/Kurdish/Turkmen influences.
                        Hope it can help.
                        Yann aka Per Braz aka Abu Hamir

                        --
                        Per Braz - perbraz@...
                        webmestre http://www.1186-583.org
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                          Terrific help Urtatim, thanks very much.
                          From the email this morning my gentleman is Seljuk. So....
                          he is Turkish eh? hmmm.....he has a determination to
                          follow Persian inspirations.
                          So, having the strong Turkish influence there might
                          be an opportunity for some minor changes.......more
                          elaborate fabrics etc.?
                          Thanks again for all your help. Sine

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                            Greetings:

                            Cool! I've been admiring the 1186-583 website for quite a while.
                            There's some excellent stuff on it.

                            >We have made some seldjuk/turkish/arabic garbs from end of XIIth century here
                            >http://www.1186-583.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=21
                            >You can see some sharbush style hats here :
                            >http://www.1186-583.org/article.php3?id_article=101
                            >http://www.1186-583.org/article.php3?id_article=145

                            Yes!!! These are really useful pages on the hat i mentioned. I've
                            saved them and bookmarked them, but forgot about it when i made my
                            recommendations :-(

                            >(sorry it is just in French but pictures are useful)

                            I can help translate...

                            >An excellent article about it is here :
                            >http://www.havenonline.com/moas/northstar/vol2no1/An%20Islamic%20Military%20Cap%20(Tarik).htm

                            Alas, the illustrations are missing (and from most of the articles on
                            this site)... did you (or someone else), by chance, save them?

                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                              Le mardi 5 juin 2007, Lilinah a écrit :
                              > Cool! I've been admiring the 1186-583 website for quite a while.
                              > There's some excellent stuff on it.
                              Thanks a lot. I plan to upgrade the website to a new CMS engine before the end
                              of the year, with the possibility to have foreign languages, including
                              English of course. And we haven't pusblished a lot recently as we are working
                              hard on a book project to be released for next year. We should begin again to
                              put stuff during Summer I think, we have quite some new things to show and a
                              lot of ideas :)

                              > >(sorry it is just in French but pictures are useful)
                              > I can help translate...
                              So do I of course :)

                              > Alas, the illustrations are missing (and from most of the articles on
                              > this site)... did you (or someone else), by chance, save them?
                              I don't think
                              I will ask on our internal forum, by chance.
                              All the best
                              Yann aka Per Braz

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                                Sine wrote:
                                >From the email this morning my gentleman is Seljuk. So....
                                >he is Turkish eh? hmmm.....he has a determination to
                                >follow Persian inspirations.

                                As did many Seljuks after they conquered much of Persia :-) Persian
                                culture was THE culture to emulate - even the 'Abbasid Arabs copied
                                many aspects of Persian culture.

                                >So, having the strong Turkish influence there might
                                >be an opportunity for some minor changes...more
                                >elaborate fabrics etc.?

                                Unfortunately, the Mongols followed on the heels of the Seljuks and
                                were quite destructive, so there's a very limited amount of clothing
                                left. There are some garments in modern Turkey, in the Anatolian city
                                of Konya, which was the capital city of the Seljuks of Rum in the
                                12th& 13th centuries. They're in a museum, the Mevlana Museum,
                                dedicated to the famous poet Rumi (so-called because he lived in Rum,
                                i.e., a region that had formerly belonged to the "Romans", what the
                                Byzantines called themselves). Mevlana Celaleddin (or Jalaluddin)
                                Rumi was born in Balkh, a city in medieval Persia, now in
                                Afghanistan. His family fled westward to escape the Mongols. He was a
                                Sufi, the Mevlevi order, sometimes called "whirling dervishes".

                                There are some not-terribly good photos from the museum on-line.
                                [http://rubens.anu.edu.au/raid1/turkey2/cd10/konya/mevlana_tekke/MUSEUM/textiles/clothing/%5d
                                the graphics are freakin' huge (mostly around 1mg!) but should be helpful.

                                As for fabric to use to look royal in, some 2-color damask with small
                                patterns might be good. Colors to go for are rich red, golden yellow,
                                white, and various shades of indigo blue.

                                Another typical early Persian motif is the roundel featuring either a
                                mounted warrior (i.e., on horseback) or a "big cat" attacking an
                                herbivore (deer, camel, bull, other) and often with a "pearl" border
                                (i.e., having a circumference of small solid circles). From what i
                                can tell, roundels were still featured on lampas weave fabric during
                                the Seljuk period.

                                These sorts of patterns are admittedly hard to find in modern fabric
                                - but you never know, you might find some. A few years ago i actually
                                found some white cellulose rayon with indigo printed cintamani (a
                                typical royal Ottoman pattern). The scale was wrong (it was small and
                                Ottomans liked BIG patterns) but i HAD to get some. It's the only
                                time in 8 years i've seen modern commercial cintamani.

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                                  I wrote:
                                  >As for fabric to use to look royal in, some 2-color damask with
                                  >small patterns might be good. Colors to go for are rich red, golden
                                  >yellow, white, and various shades of indigo blue.
                                  >
                                  >Another typical early Persian motif is the roundel featuring either
                                  >a mounted warrior (i.e., on horseback) or a "big cat" attacking an
                                  >herbivore (deer, camel, bull, other) and often with a "pearl" border
                                  >(i.e., having a circumference of small solid circles). From what i
                                  >can tell, roundels were still featured on lampas weave fabric during
                                  >the Seljuk period.

                                  Here are a couple Seljuk period fabric fragments i found some time
                                  ago at the website of the Cleveland Museum of Art:
                                  -- Lampas weave fabric with animals in roundels
                                  [http://www.clevelandart.org/Explore/departmentWork.asp?deptgroup=3&recNo=299]
                                  -- Lampas weave fabric of simurghs in medium indigo blue silk and metallic gold
                                  [http://www.clevelandart.org/Explore/work.asp?searchText=1945%2E14&recNo=0&tab=2&display=]

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                                    Whew! I finally found the "thumbnail" pages for those huge Mevlana Tekke files.
                                    http://rubens.anu.edu.au/turkey/konya/mevlana_tekke/museum/textiles/clothing/index.php?page=1
                                    and
                                    http://rubens.anu.edu.au/turkey/konya/mevlana_tekke/museum/textiles/clothing/index.php?page=2

                                    So, if you've been holding back, now you can preview before clicking...