Re: [Authentic_SCA] Recipes for Authentic Candies/treats

  • Sarah Michele Ford
    Message 1 of 21 , May 31, 2007
      On 5/31/07, rachelaleclair <rachelaleclair@...> wrote:

      > My shire is having a demonstration, and we were discussing making
      > treats to pass out at the event. Does anyone have any good period
      > recipees/ideas that have worked well for you?

      Period gingerbread is really, really easy (the only "period cooking" I've
      ever done, actually). There's a pretty long thread about it in Stephan's
      Florilegium -
      http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/gingerbread-msg.html - probably
      a good starting spot. The only warning I'd give is that it can be kinda
      stickymessy.

      Alianor de R.

    • Rebecca Riley
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 1, 2007
        I did rice fritters for one. It's just rice cooked in almond milk with
        cinnamon and then you scoop out doughnut-hole-sized chunks and deep-fry them
        and sprinkle with sugar. It's Italian, though what cookbook I took it from I
        don't recall now.

        We were dealing with a lot of people who had wheat gluten, milk, and egg
        issues that day, though. They kept well cold and were tasty cold, too,
        though, I thought, much better when straight out of the hot oil. But that's
        always true of fried things.

        Al vostro servizio,
        Signora Giovanna d'Este

        Vert, on a billet Or three fleurs-de-lys, one and two, sable, a bordure
        dancetty Or.

        "Numquam Succumbe"

      • wodeford
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 1, 2007
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "rachelaleclair"
          <rachelaleclair@...> wrote:

          > My shire is having a demonstration, and we were discussing making
          > treats to pass out at the event. Does anyone have any good period
          > recipees/ideas that have worked well for you?

          http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/recipe_toc.html
          I've had His Grace's khushkananaj, it's lovely.

          Jehanne de Wodeford
          West
        • Cynthia J Ley
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 1, 2007
            You might also try hedgehogs (a medieval meatball). The cooks in my shire
            do these all the time at demos, and they are extremely popular.

            Arlys

          • bronwynmgn@aol.com
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 2, 2007
              In a message dated 6/2/2007 7:10:50 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

              <<You might also try hedgehogs (a medieval meatball). The cooks in my shire
              do these all the time at demos, and they are extremely popular. >>

              Actually, if you follow the hedgehog recipe properly, it's not a meatball at
              all. It's a stuffed pig's stomach. People make meatballs out of the
              stuffing and call them hedgehogs, but the period recipe does not support that
              practice.

              Brangwayna Morgan

            • Janis James
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 3, 2007
                Greetings All,
                I need advice please. I have costumed Middle Eastern
                for ladies for a number of years, but have never done
                much Middle Eastern sewing for men.
                I am set and good with the actual clothing. It's the
                headwear that I'm having trouble with right now.
                The gentleman I am sewing for doesn't care for
                turbans and I have always understood that the Kafeya
                with cording band seen today is a rather modern type
                of headwear. The climate here in summer is quite hot
                and he is not comfortable with the turban.
                I am looking around about 1000 ce, and any help
                or ideas would really be appreciated.
                Cheers, Sine

                Windows Live Hotmail gives you the control you need to help you keep your
                e-mail private, safe and secure. See for yourself!
                www.newhotmail.ca?icid=WLHMENCA147
              • Lilinah
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 4, 2007
                  Sine wrote:
                  > The gentleman I am sewing for doesn't care for
                  >turbans

                  SCAdians (and other non-Muslims) use the term "turban" far far far
                  too loosely. There is a difference between a turban and a head wrap,
                  but i hear people over and over call a head wrap a turban.

                  A *genuine* turban is a very specific marker of high political or
                  religious status "in period". A turban was for royalty, important
                  religious figures, etc., and its use is often proscribed by law - the
                  method of wrapping denoted the individual's status, was well as the
                  type of hat over which the turban was wrapped. So turbans are
                  generally inappropriate for SCAdians

                  Head wraps, on the other hand, are often quite appropriate for
                  SCAdians. Head wraps are a great deal simpler than turbans and are
                  relatively common.

                  Head wraps are still commonly seen throughout Dar al-Islam. Turbans
                  are quite rare. I'm not trying to sell you (or the gentleman) on one,
                  just to inform.

                  (just as the word "veil" is used for an item of clothing for Muslim
                  women and non-Muslim women in the Muslim world in such a way as to be
                  almost meaningless)

                  >and I have always understood that the Kafeya
                  >with cording band seen today is a rather modern type
                  >of headwear.

                  Acutally, there is evidence for a *pure white* head cloth and a
                  *simple* filet (not those big thick black and gold agals i see) at
                  least in al-Andalus. I have some pictures on my website... if the
                  gentleman is a Maghribi or Andalusi.

                  >The climate here in summer is quite hot
                  >and he is not comfortable with the turban.

                  And i bet he isn't a shah, a sultan, a caliph, or an imam who has
                  gone on the hajj... so a turban is likely to be inappropriate,
                  although a common and simple head wrap might be appropriate.

                  > I am looking around about 1000 ce, and any help
                  >or ideas would really be appreciated.

                  In fact, what just about anyone - adult, child, male, female - just
                  about anyplace could wear is a cap. The style varies from time to
                  time and place to place.

                  So, where is this gentleman from? I can better suggest a style when i
                  know his locale.

                  --
                  Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
                  the persona formerly known as Anahita

                  Ride your camel to Dar Anahita
                  http://home.earthlink.net/~lilinah
                  SCA-period Near and Middle Eastern Costuming,
                  including Persian, Ottoman, Maghribi, and Andalusian,
                  Medieval Muslim Egyptian knitting, and
                  complete menus and period recipes from seven SCA feasts
                  (from German to Persian), 23 German mushroom recipes,
                  an analysis of the spices used in two different 13th C. Arabic
                  language cookbooks, and more Medieval food-related stuff
                • Janis James
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 4, 2007
                    Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM) wrote.........
                    >SCAdians (and other non-Muslims) use the term "turban" far far far
                    >too loosely. There is a difference between a turban and a head wrap,
                    >but i hear people over and over call a head wrap a turban....snips......

                    .........well, OK.....yes - there is indeed a difference between
                    a turban and a headwrap. As the gentleman I am costuming
                    for will be Royal I guess it really was appropriate! Our equivalent
                    to the Shah, Sultan, Caliph etc., However, as I said he is just not
                    comfortable in a Turban. He really doesn't much care for
                    a headwrap either - even if that would seem to be more
                    acceptable. It seems he gets extremely warm about
                    the head and layers of cloth make him very, very uncomfortable.

                    ......>Acutally, there is evidence for a *pure white* head cloth and a
                    >*simple* filet (not those big thick black and gold agals i see) at
                    >least in al-Andalus. I have some pictures on my website... if the
                    >gentleman is a Maghribi or Andalusi.

                    Now this would be of more interest to him. Something simple
                    and cooler to the head........I understand a one strand cord (filet),
                    is there a colour restriction for that? He does agree with me that
                    it feels more mediaeval to have something on the head - he just
                    doesn't want to be miserable in it.

                    Apparently he is about 1000 C.E. Persian. You also mentioned a
                    cap? Rather like the short Fez, embroidered type?
                    Thank you for your time, Sine

                    Upgrade to Windows Live Hotmail for free today!
                    www.newhotmail.ca?icid=WLHMENCA151
                  • Lilinah
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 4, 2007
                      Sine wrote:
                      >Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM) wrote.........
                      >......>Actually, there is evidence for a *pure white* head cloth and a
                      > >*simple* filet (not those big thick black and gold agals i see) at
                      >>least in al-Andalus. I have some pictures on my website... if the
                      >>gentleman is a Maghribi or Andalusi.
                      >
                      >Now this would be of more interest to him. Something simple
                      >and cooler to the head........I understand a one strand cord (filet),
                      >is there a colour restriction for that? He does agree with me that
                      >it feels more mediaeval to have something on the head - he just
                      >doesn't want to be miserable in it.
                      >
                      >Apparently he is about 1000 C.E. Persian. You also mentioned a
                      >cap? Rather like the short Fez, embroidered type?
                      >Thank you for your time,

                      Uh, mmm, alas, that white head cloth is not appropriate for a
                      Persian. I think a cap of some sort is going to be more appropriate
                      for the rest of his clothing.

                      Is he Sogdian or Seljuk?

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 4, 2007
                        .........Urtatim...wrote
                        >Uh, mmm, alas, that white head cloth is not appropriate for a
                        >Persian. I think a cap of some sort is going to be more appropriate
                        >for the rest of his clothing.
                        >
                        >Is he Sogdian or Seljuk?

                        I understand him to be Seljuk........now I'm not actually positive
                        about that, just seem to remember that in conversation, can't
                        contact him until tomorrow to clarify.
                        Cheers, Sine

                        Windows Live Hotmail. Now with better security, storage and features.
                        www.newhotmail.ca?icid=WLHMENCA149
                      • j_southwell2002
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 4, 2007
                          MODERATOR NOTE (please sign all posts to the list and please do not top post to this list, thank you) Despina moderator

                          You might look at Burnoose. In my research for a play they are a
                          popular alternative to the turban. Though I dont know if they go so
                          far back to 1000 ce.
                        • Lilinah
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                            Sine wrote:
                            >I understand him to be Seljuk........now I'm not actually positive
                            >about that, just seem to remember that in conversation, can't
                            >contact him until tomorrow to clarify.

                            OK, if he's Seljuk, he's Turkish. They conquered a large part of
                            Persia, but they are Turkish linguistically, ethnically, and
                            culturally.

                            In art i see that he would have adapted to wear a turban as royalty,
                            but if he's dead set against it, a fur lined had is the next best
                            thing (yeah, right, i'm sure he'll love that idea :-) You can fake it
                            by making a cap and have the fur on the outside...

                            One hat (but it's for mortals less that the "King") is a basic cap
                            with a rectangular band around the head and the top made of triangles
                            - six would be best, although i've seen simplified versions with only
                            four, but c'mon, if he's royalty he deserves the best :-) Make the
                            parts of the hat that show of the richest jacquard silk fabric you
                            can fine - since it won't use a lot. Then that simple band around the
                            head should be of a nice rich dark brown fur - you can make it on the
                            outside only so it won't be so hot, with a simple comfy fabric on the
                            inside (cotton or linen).

                            One feature of royal caps, at least in the Minai style Seljuk art (i
                            have a real soft spot for Minai style art) is a sort of triangle
                            shape in the center front that sticks up and is gold, at least in
                            paintings, and appears to be backed or edged with fur. In reality it
                            might have been gold metal, but if you can find gilded leather that
                            might be less uncomfortable and quicker to make.

                            This web page has some nice Minai style manuscript illuminations,
                            although they're a bit fuzzy.
                            http://www.geocities.com/egfroth1/Seljuqs.htm

                            The large painting about 2/5 of the way down the page with the caption:
                            "A Seljuq court, from Kitab al Diryaq (the Book of Antidotes) by
                            Pseudo-Gallen, probably from Iraq, mid 13th century. National
                            Bibliothek, Vienna." (i figure that should say Pseudo-Galen)
                            shows the ruler in very large size almost centered. He's wearing that
                            hat i mentioned.

                            Granted, this is about 200 years later than you're looking for, but
                            clothing for rulers was often more conservative than that for
                            ordinary folks, so it may be close to what he could use.

                            Those pointed white hats with the brims do not appear to be for
                            royalty, and in period it was always important to look the part,
                            whatever one's part was. Personal comfort of royalty when out in
                            public didn't matter as much as looking impressive, although in
                            private i'm sure royalty could be a bit more informal.

                            In some versions of the Maqamat of al-Hariri produced in Seljuk
                            controlled Syria in a Seljuk influenced style, shows some men with
                            head wraps around caps - one in particular looks like a qalansuwa - a
                            somewhat tall somewhat pointy hat, generally associated with the
                            ruling class.

                            In a copy of Kalila wa-Dimna dated to 1220 and produced in Seljuk
                            controlled Baghdad all the human men appear to be wearing either
                            turbans or head wraps :-( Many of the illustrations from this book,
                            Ms. arabe 3465,

                            Both books are on-line at the site of the Biblioteque Nationale de France
                            http://expositions.bnf.fr/livrarab/
                            I seem to recall that the section in English has a lot fewer pieces
                            of art than the section in French.

                            Another Seljuk book, the story of Warka wa-Gulshah, the tale of two
                            lovers (his name is variously Romanized into Warqa and Varka; as for
                            her name, "Gul" means "rose"), is also from the early 13th century. I
                            can only assume these early 13th C. works were all pre-Mongol
                            invasion. Again, nearly all the men are shown wearing turbans or head
                            wraps. Most of the illustrations are on-line, scanned from a book
                            that reproduced them mostly in black-and-white (alas).
                            http://www.geocities.com/qilich/varga/

                            There are some color pictures from it at:
                            http://www.ee.bilkent.edu.tr/~history/early.html

                            And there are some illustrations from the 1300s... some before the
                            Mongol invasion and some after here:
                            www.ehttp://e.bilkent.edu.tr/~history/pers-II.html
                            but this is definitely getting rather late for your gentleman's persona.

                            I hope some of this is useful.
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                              Unsigned wrote:
                              >You might look at Burnoose. In my research for a play they are a
                              >popular alternative to the turban. Though I dont know if they go so
                              >far back to 1000 ce.

                              Also called selHam in Morocco (i use the capital H to indicate a
                              strong H sound). I've found evidence for them in North Africa going
                              back to Roman times, but i haven't read about or seen them outside
                              North Africa.

                              And in art from Central Asia - original home of the Seljuks, this
                              gentleman's culture - i've seen no suggestion that a hooded cloak was
                              part of the clothing system. Nor have i seen any in any Persian
                              culture from Greco-Roman times to the 17th century. What i see over
                              and over are front-opening "coats".

                              If you have an historical source for Central Asian hooded cloaks,
                              please share, because i've got one that would be comfy to wear for
                              those times i'm wearing Persian rather than North African clothing at
                              events.

                              --
                              Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
                              the persona formerly known as Anahita
                            • Per Braz
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                                Greetings !
                                We have made some seldjuk/turkish/arabic garbs from end of XIIth century here
                                http://www.1186-583.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=21
                                You can see some sharbush style hats here :
                                http://www.1186-583.org/article.php3?id_article=101
                                http://www.1186-583.org/article.php3?id_article=145
                                (sorry it is just in French but pictures are useful)
                                An excellent article about it is here :
                                http://www.havenonline.com/moas/northstar/vol2no1/An%20Islamic%20Military%20Cap%20
                                (Tarik).htm
                                Atakan al Vefa is an a Seldjuk character, Zahr is Turkish but with some
                                Arabic/Kurdish/Turkmen influences.
                                Hope it can help.
                                Yann aka Per Braz aka Abu Hamir

                                --
                                Per Braz - perbraz@...
                                webmestre http://www.1186-583.org
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                                  Terrific help Urtatim, thanks very much.
                                  From the email this morning my gentleman is Seljuk. So....
                                  he is Turkish eh? hmmm.....he has a determination to
                                  follow Persian inspirations.
                                  So, having the strong Turkish influence there might
                                  be an opportunity for some minor changes.......more
                                  elaborate fabrics etc.?
                                  Thanks again for all your help. Sine

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                                    Greetings:

                                    Cool! I've been admiring the 1186-583 website for quite a while.
                                    There's some excellent stuff on it.

                                    >We have made some seldjuk/turkish/arabic garbs from end of XIIth century here
                                    >http://www.1186-583.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=21
                                    >You can see some sharbush style hats here :
                                    >http://www.1186-583.org/article.php3?id_article=101
                                    >http://www.1186-583.org/article.php3?id_article=145

                                    Yes!!! These are really useful pages on the hat i mentioned. I've
                                    saved them and bookmarked them, but forgot about it when i made my
                                    recommendations :-(

                                    >(sorry it is just in French but pictures are useful)

                                    I can help translate...

                                    >An excellent article about it is here :
                                    >http://www.havenonline.com/moas/northstar/vol2no1/An%20Islamic%20Military%20Cap%20(Tarik).htm

                                    Alas, the illustrations are missing (and from most of the articles on
                                    this site)... did you (or someone else), by chance, save them?

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                                      Le mardi 5 juin 2007, Lilinah a écrit :
                                      > Cool! I've been admiring the 1186-583 website for quite a while.
                                      > There's some excellent stuff on it.
                                      Thanks a lot. I plan to upgrade the website to a new CMS engine before the end
                                      of the year, with the possibility to have foreign languages, including
                                      English of course. And we haven't pusblished a lot recently as we are working
                                      hard on a book project to be released for next year. We should begin again to
                                      put stuff during Summer I think, we have quite some new things to show and a
                                      lot of ideas :)

                                      > >(sorry it is just in French but pictures are useful)
                                      > I can help translate...
                                      So do I of course :)

                                      > Alas, the illustrations are missing (and from most of the articles on
                                      > this site)... did you (or someone else), by chance, save them?
                                      I don't think
                                      I will ask on our internal forum, by chance.
                                      All the best
                                      Yann aka Per Braz

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                                        Sine wrote:
                                        >From the email this morning my gentleman is Seljuk. So....
                                        >he is Turkish eh? hmmm.....he has a determination to
                                        >follow Persian inspirations.

                                        As did many Seljuks after they conquered much of Persia :-) Persian
                                        culture was THE culture to emulate - even the 'Abbasid Arabs copied
                                        many aspects of Persian culture.

                                        >So, having the strong Turkish influence there might
                                        >be an opportunity for some minor changes...more
                                        >elaborate fabrics etc.?

                                        Unfortunately, the Mongols followed on the heels of the Seljuks and
                                        were quite destructive, so there's a very limited amount of clothing
                                        left. There are some garments in modern Turkey, in the Anatolian city
                                        of Konya, which was the capital city of the Seljuks of Rum in the
                                        12th& 13th centuries. They're in a museum, the Mevlana Museum,
                                        dedicated to the famous poet Rumi (so-called because he lived in Rum,
                                        i.e., a region that had formerly belonged to the "Romans", what the
                                        Byzantines called themselves). Mevlana Celaleddin (or Jalaluddin)
                                        Rumi was born in Balkh, a city in medieval Persia, now in
                                        Afghanistan. His family fled westward to escape the Mongols. He was a
                                        Sufi, the Mevlevi order, sometimes called "whirling dervishes".

                                        There are some not-terribly good photos from the museum on-line.
                                        [http://rubens.anu.edu.au/raid1/turkey2/cd10/konya/mevlana_tekke/MUSEUM/textiles/clothing/%5d
                                        the graphics are freakin' huge (mostly around 1mg!) but should be helpful.

                                        As for fabric to use to look royal in, some 2-color damask with small
                                        patterns might be good. Colors to go for are rich red, golden yellow,
                                        white, and various shades of indigo blue.

                                        Another typical early Persian motif is the roundel featuring either a
                                        mounted warrior (i.e., on horseback) or a "big cat" attacking an
                                        herbivore (deer, camel, bull, other) and often with a "pearl" border
                                        (i.e., having a circumference of small solid circles). From what i
                                        can tell, roundels were still featured on lampas weave fabric during
                                        the Seljuk period.

                                        These sorts of patterns are admittedly hard to find in modern fabric
                                        - but you never know, you might find some. A few years ago i actually
                                        found some white cellulose rayon with indigo printed cintamani (a
                                        typical royal Ottoman pattern). The scale was wrong (it was small and
                                        Ottomans liked BIG patterns) but i HAD to get some. It's the only
                                        time in 8 years i've seen modern commercial cintamani.

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                                          I wrote:
                                          >As for fabric to use to look royal in, some 2-color damask with
                                          >small patterns might be good. Colors to go for are rich red, golden
                                          >yellow, white, and various shades of indigo blue.
                                          >
                                          >Another typical early Persian motif is the roundel featuring either
                                          >a mounted warrior (i.e., on horseback) or a "big cat" attacking an
                                          >herbivore (deer, camel, bull, other) and often with a "pearl" border
                                          >(i.e., having a circumference of small solid circles). From what i
                                          >can tell, roundels were still featured on lampas weave fabric during
                                          >the Seljuk period.

                                          Here are a couple Seljuk period fabric fragments i found some time
                                          ago at the website of the Cleveland Museum of Art:
                                          -- Lampas weave fabric with animals in roundels
                                          [http://www.clevelandart.org/Explore/departmentWork.asp?deptgroup=3&recNo=299]
                                          -- Lampas weave fabric of simurghs in medium indigo blue silk and metallic gold
                                          [http://www.clevelandart.org/Explore/work.asp?searchText=1945%2E14&recNo=0&tab=2&display=]

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                                            Whew! I finally found the "thumbnail" pages for those huge Mevlana Tekke files.
                                            http://rubens.anu.edu.au/turkey/konya/mevlana_tekke/museum/textiles/clothing/index.php?page=1
                                            and
                                            http://rubens.anu.edu.au/turkey/konya/mevlana_tekke/museum/textiles/clothing/index.php?page=2

                                            So, if you've been holding back, now you can preview before clicking...