Recipes for Authentic Candies/treats

  • rachelaleclair
    Message 1 of 21 , May 31, 2007
      My shire is having a demonstration, and we were discussing making
      treats to pass out at the event. Does anyone have any good period
      recipees/ideas that have worked well for you?

      Thanks!
    • Sarah Michele Ford
      Message 2 of 21 , May 31, 2007
        On 5/31/07, rachelaleclair <rachelaleclair@...> wrote:

        > My shire is having a demonstration, and we were discussing making
        > treats to pass out at the event. Does anyone have any good period
        > recipees/ideas that have worked well for you?

        Period gingerbread is really, really easy (the only "period cooking" I've
        ever done, actually). There's a pretty long thread about it in Stephan's
        Florilegium -
        http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/gingerbread-msg.html - probably
        a good starting spot. The only warning I'd give is that it can be kinda
        stickymessy.

        Alianor de R.

      • Rebecca Riley
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 1, 2007
          I did rice fritters for one. It's just rice cooked in almond milk with
          cinnamon and then you scoop out doughnut-hole-sized chunks and deep-fry them
          and sprinkle with sugar. It's Italian, though what cookbook I took it from I
          don't recall now.

          We were dealing with a lot of people who had wheat gluten, milk, and egg
          issues that day, though. They kept well cold and were tasty cold, too,
          though, I thought, much better when straight out of the hot oil. But that's
          always true of fried things.

          Al vostro servizio,
          Signora Giovanna d'Este

          Vert, on a billet Or three fleurs-de-lys, one and two, sable, a bordure
          dancetty Or.

          "Numquam Succumbe"

        • wodeford
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 1, 2007
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "rachelaleclair"
            <rachelaleclair@...> wrote:

            > My shire is having a demonstration, and we were discussing making
            > treats to pass out at the event. Does anyone have any good period
            > recipees/ideas that have worked well for you?

            http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/recipe_toc.html
            I've had His Grace's khushkananaj, it's lovely.

            Jehanne de Wodeford
            West
          • Cynthia J Ley
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 1, 2007
              You might also try hedgehogs (a medieval meatball). The cooks in my shire
              do these all the time at demos, and they are extremely popular.

              Arlys

            • bronwynmgn@aol.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 2, 2007
                In a message dated 6/2/2007 7:10:50 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

                <<You might also try hedgehogs (a medieval meatball). The cooks in my shire
                do these all the time at demos, and they are extremely popular. >>

                Actually, if you follow the hedgehog recipe properly, it's not a meatball at
                all. It's a stuffed pig's stomach. People make meatballs out of the
                stuffing and call them hedgehogs, but the period recipe does not support that
                practice.

                Brangwayna Morgan

              • Janis James
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 3, 2007
                  Greetings All,
                  I need advice please. I have costumed Middle Eastern
                  for ladies for a number of years, but have never done
                  much Middle Eastern sewing for men.
                  I am set and good with the actual clothing. It's the
                  headwear that I'm having trouble with right now.
                  The gentleman I am sewing for doesn't care for
                  turbans and I have always understood that the Kafeya
                  with cording band seen today is a rather modern type
                  of headwear. The climate here in summer is quite hot
                  and he is not comfortable with the turban.
                  I am looking around about 1000 ce, and any help
                  or ideas would really be appreciated.
                  Cheers, Sine

                  Windows Live Hotmail gives you the control you need to help you keep your
                  e-mail private, safe and secure. See for yourself!
                  www.newhotmail.ca?icid=WLHMENCA147
                • Lilinah
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 4, 2007
                    Sine wrote:
                    > The gentleman I am sewing for doesn't care for
                    >turbans

                    SCAdians (and other non-Muslims) use the term "turban" far far far
                    too loosely. There is a difference between a turban and a head wrap,
                    but i hear people over and over call a head wrap a turban.

                    A *genuine* turban is a very specific marker of high political or
                    religious status "in period". A turban was for royalty, important
                    religious figures, etc., and its use is often proscribed by law - the
                    method of wrapping denoted the individual's status, was well as the
                    type of hat over which the turban was wrapped. So turbans are
                    generally inappropriate for SCAdians

                    Head wraps, on the other hand, are often quite appropriate for
                    SCAdians. Head wraps are a great deal simpler than turbans and are
                    relatively common.

                    Head wraps are still commonly seen throughout Dar al-Islam. Turbans
                    are quite rare. I'm not trying to sell you (or the gentleman) on one,
                    just to inform.

                    (just as the word "veil" is used for an item of clothing for Muslim
                    women and non-Muslim women in the Muslim world in such a way as to be
                    almost meaningless)

                    >and I have always understood that the Kafeya
                    >with cording band seen today is a rather modern type
                    >of headwear.

                    Acutally, there is evidence for a *pure white* head cloth and a
                    *simple* filet (not those big thick black and gold agals i see) at
                    least in al-Andalus. I have some pictures on my website... if the
                    gentleman is a Maghribi or Andalusi.

                    >The climate here in summer is quite hot
                    >and he is not comfortable with the turban.

                    And i bet he isn't a shah, a sultan, a caliph, or an imam who has
                    gone on the hajj... so a turban is likely to be inappropriate,
                    although a common and simple head wrap might be appropriate.

                    > I am looking around about 1000 ce, and any help
                    >or ideas would really be appreciated.

                    In fact, what just about anyone - adult, child, male, female - just
                    about anyplace could wear is a cap. The style varies from time to
                    time and place to place.

                    So, where is this gentleman from? I can better suggest a style when i
                    know his locale.

                    --
                    Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
                    the persona formerly known as Anahita

                    Ride your camel to Dar Anahita
                    http://home.earthlink.net/~lilinah
                    SCA-period Near and Middle Eastern Costuming,
                    including Persian, Ottoman, Maghribi, and Andalusian,
                    Medieval Muslim Egyptian knitting, and
                    complete menus and period recipes from seven SCA feasts
                    (from German to Persian), 23 German mushroom recipes,
                    an analysis of the spices used in two different 13th C. Arabic
                    language cookbooks, and more Medieval food-related stuff
                  • Janis James
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 4, 2007
                      Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM) wrote.........
                      >SCAdians (and other non-Muslims) use the term "turban" far far far
                      >too loosely. There is a difference between a turban and a head wrap,
                      >but i hear people over and over call a head wrap a turban....snips......

                      .........well, OK.....yes - there is indeed a difference between
                      a turban and a headwrap. As the gentleman I am costuming
                      for will be Royal I guess it really was appropriate! Our equivalent
                      to the Shah, Sultan, Caliph etc., However, as I said he is just not
                      comfortable in a Turban. He really doesn't much care for
                      a headwrap either - even if that would seem to be more
                      acceptable. It seems he gets extremely warm about
                      the head and layers of cloth make him very, very uncomfortable.

                      ......>Acutally, there is evidence for a *pure white* head cloth and a
                      >*simple* filet (not those big thick black and gold agals i see) at
                      >least in al-Andalus. I have some pictures on my website... if the
                      >gentleman is a Maghribi or Andalusi.

                      Now this would be of more interest to him. Something simple
                      and cooler to the head........I understand a one strand cord (filet),
                      is there a colour restriction for that? He does agree with me that
                      it feels more mediaeval to have something on the head - he just
                      doesn't want to be miserable in it.

                      Apparently he is about 1000 C.E. Persian. You also mentioned a
                      cap? Rather like the short Fez, embroidered type?
                      Thank you for your time, Sine

                      Upgrade to Windows Live Hotmail for free today!
                      www.newhotmail.ca?icid=WLHMENCA151
                    • Lilinah
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 4, 2007
                        Sine wrote:
                        >Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM) wrote.........
                        >......>Actually, there is evidence for a *pure white* head cloth and a
                        > >*simple* filet (not those big thick black and gold agals i see) at
                        >>least in al-Andalus. I have some pictures on my website... if the
                        >>gentleman is a Maghribi or Andalusi.
                        >
                        >Now this would be of more interest to him. Something simple
                        >and cooler to the head........I understand a one strand cord (filet),
                        >is there a colour restriction for that? He does agree with me that
                        >it feels more mediaeval to have something on the head - he just
                        >doesn't want to be miserable in it.
                        >
                        >Apparently he is about 1000 C.E. Persian. You also mentioned a
                        >cap? Rather like the short Fez, embroidered type?
                        >Thank you for your time,

                        Uh, mmm, alas, that white head cloth is not appropriate for a
                        Persian. I think a cap of some sort is going to be more appropriate
                        for the rest of his clothing.

                        Is he Sogdian or Seljuk?

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 4, 2007
                          .........Urtatim...wrote
                          >Uh, mmm, alas, that white head cloth is not appropriate for a
                          >Persian. I think a cap of some sort is going to be more appropriate
                          >for the rest of his clothing.
                          >
                          >Is he Sogdian or Seljuk?

                          I understand him to be Seljuk........now I'm not actually positive
                          about that, just seem to remember that in conversation, can't
                          contact him until tomorrow to clarify.
                          Cheers, Sine

                          Windows Live Hotmail. Now with better security, storage and features.
                          www.newhotmail.ca?icid=WLHMENCA149
                        • j_southwell2002
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 4, 2007
                            MODERATOR NOTE (please sign all posts to the list and please do not top post to this list, thank you) Despina moderator

                            You might look at Burnoose. In my research for a play they are a
                            popular alternative to the turban. Though I dont know if they go so
                            far back to 1000 ce.
                          • Lilinah
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                              Sine wrote:
                              >I understand him to be Seljuk........now I'm not actually positive
                              >about that, just seem to remember that in conversation, can't
                              >contact him until tomorrow to clarify.

                              OK, if he's Seljuk, he's Turkish. They conquered a large part of
                              Persia, but they are Turkish linguistically, ethnically, and
                              culturally.

                              In art i see that he would have adapted to wear a turban as royalty,
                              but if he's dead set against it, a fur lined had is the next best
                              thing (yeah, right, i'm sure he'll love that idea :-) You can fake it
                              by making a cap and have the fur on the outside...

                              One hat (but it's for mortals less that the "King") is a basic cap
                              with a rectangular band around the head and the top made of triangles
                              - six would be best, although i've seen simplified versions with only
                              four, but c'mon, if he's royalty he deserves the best :-) Make the
                              parts of the hat that show of the richest jacquard silk fabric you
                              can fine - since it won't use a lot. Then that simple band around the
                              head should be of a nice rich dark brown fur - you can make it on the
                              outside only so it won't be so hot, with a simple comfy fabric on the
                              inside (cotton or linen).

                              One feature of royal caps, at least in the Minai style Seljuk art (i
                              have a real soft spot for Minai style art) is a sort of triangle
                              shape in the center front that sticks up and is gold, at least in
                              paintings, and appears to be backed or edged with fur. In reality it
                              might have been gold metal, but if you can find gilded leather that
                              might be less uncomfortable and quicker to make.

                              This web page has some nice Minai style manuscript illuminations,
                              although they're a bit fuzzy.
                              http://www.geocities.com/egfroth1/Seljuqs.htm

                              The large painting about 2/5 of the way down the page with the caption:
                              "A Seljuq court, from Kitab al Diryaq (the Book of Antidotes) by
                              Pseudo-Gallen, probably from Iraq, mid 13th century. National
                              Bibliothek, Vienna." (i figure that should say Pseudo-Galen)
                              shows the ruler in very large size almost centered. He's wearing that
                              hat i mentioned.

                              Granted, this is about 200 years later than you're looking for, but
                              clothing for rulers was often more conservative than that for
                              ordinary folks, so it may be close to what he could use.

                              Those pointed white hats with the brims do not appear to be for
                              royalty, and in period it was always important to look the part,
                              whatever one's part was. Personal comfort of royalty when out in
                              public didn't matter as much as looking impressive, although in
                              private i'm sure royalty could be a bit more informal.

                              In some versions of the Maqamat of al-Hariri produced in Seljuk
                              controlled Syria in a Seljuk influenced style, shows some men with
                              head wraps around caps - one in particular looks like a qalansuwa - a
                              somewhat tall somewhat pointy hat, generally associated with the
                              ruling class.

                              In a copy of Kalila wa-Dimna dated to 1220 and produced in Seljuk
                              controlled Baghdad all the human men appear to be wearing either
                              turbans or head wraps :-( Many of the illustrations from this book,
                              Ms. arabe 3465,

                              Both books are on-line at the site of the Biblioteque Nationale de France
                              http://expositions.bnf.fr/livrarab/
                              I seem to recall that the section in English has a lot fewer pieces
                              of art than the section in French.

                              Another Seljuk book, the story of Warka wa-Gulshah, the tale of two
                              lovers (his name is variously Romanized into Warqa and Varka; as for
                              her name, "Gul" means "rose"), is also from the early 13th century. I
                              can only assume these early 13th C. works were all pre-Mongol
                              invasion. Again, nearly all the men are shown wearing turbans or head
                              wraps. Most of the illustrations are on-line, scanned from a book
                              that reproduced them mostly in black-and-white (alas).
                              http://www.geocities.com/qilich/varga/

                              There are some color pictures from it at:
                              http://www.ee.bilkent.edu.tr/~history/early.html

                              And there are some illustrations from the 1300s... some before the
                              Mongol invasion and some after here:
                              www.ehttp://e.bilkent.edu.tr/~history/pers-II.html
                              but this is definitely getting rather late for your gentleman's persona.

                              I hope some of this is useful.
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                                Unsigned wrote:
                                >You might look at Burnoose. In my research for a play they are a
                                >popular alternative to the turban. Though I dont know if they go so
                                >far back to 1000 ce.

                                Also called selHam in Morocco (i use the capital H to indicate a
                                strong H sound). I've found evidence for them in North Africa going
                                back to Roman times, but i haven't read about or seen them outside
                                North Africa.

                                And in art from Central Asia - original home of the Seljuks, this
                                gentleman's culture - i've seen no suggestion that a hooded cloak was
                                part of the clothing system. Nor have i seen any in any Persian
                                culture from Greco-Roman times to the 17th century. What i see over
                                and over are front-opening "coats".

                                If you have an historical source for Central Asian hooded cloaks,
                                please share, because i've got one that would be comfy to wear for
                                those times i'm wearing Persian rather than North African clothing at
                                events.

                                --
                                Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
                                the persona formerly known as Anahita
                              • Per Braz
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                                  Greetings !
                                  We have made some seldjuk/turkish/arabic garbs from end of XIIth century here
                                  http://www.1186-583.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=21
                                  You can see some sharbush style hats here :
                                  http://www.1186-583.org/article.php3?id_article=101
                                  http://www.1186-583.org/article.php3?id_article=145
                                  (sorry it is just in French but pictures are useful)
                                  An excellent article about it is here :
                                  http://www.havenonline.com/moas/northstar/vol2no1/An%20Islamic%20Military%20Cap%20
                                  (Tarik).htm
                                  Atakan al Vefa is an a Seldjuk character, Zahr is Turkish but with some
                                  Arabic/Kurdish/Turkmen influences.
                                  Hope it can help.
                                  Yann aka Per Braz aka Abu Hamir

                                  --
                                  Per Braz - perbraz@...
                                  webmestre http://www.1186-583.org
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                                    Terrific help Urtatim, thanks very much.
                                    From the email this morning my gentleman is Seljuk. So....
                                    he is Turkish eh? hmmm.....he has a determination to
                                    follow Persian inspirations.
                                    So, having the strong Turkish influence there might
                                    be an opportunity for some minor changes.......more
                                    elaborate fabrics etc.?
                                    Thanks again for all your help. Sine

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                                      Greetings:

                                      Cool! I've been admiring the 1186-583 website for quite a while.
                                      There's some excellent stuff on it.

                                      >We have made some seldjuk/turkish/arabic garbs from end of XIIth century here
                                      >http://www.1186-583.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=21
                                      >You can see some sharbush style hats here :
                                      >http://www.1186-583.org/article.php3?id_article=101
                                      >http://www.1186-583.org/article.php3?id_article=145

                                      Yes!!! These are really useful pages on the hat i mentioned. I've
                                      saved them and bookmarked them, but forgot about it when i made my
                                      recommendations :-(

                                      >(sorry it is just in French but pictures are useful)

                                      I can help translate...

                                      >An excellent article about it is here :
                                      >http://www.havenonline.com/moas/northstar/vol2no1/An%20Islamic%20Military%20Cap%20(Tarik).htm

                                      Alas, the illustrations are missing (and from most of the articles on
                                      this site)... did you (or someone else), by chance, save them?

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                                        Le mardi 5 juin 2007, Lilinah a écrit :
                                        > Cool! I've been admiring the 1186-583 website for quite a while.
                                        > There's some excellent stuff on it.
                                        Thanks a lot. I plan to upgrade the website to a new CMS engine before the end
                                        of the year, with the possibility to have foreign languages, including
                                        English of course. And we haven't pusblished a lot recently as we are working
                                        hard on a book project to be released for next year. We should begin again to
                                        put stuff during Summer I think, we have quite some new things to show and a
                                        lot of ideas :)

                                        > >(sorry it is just in French but pictures are useful)
                                        > I can help translate...
                                        So do I of course :)

                                        > Alas, the illustrations are missing (and from most of the articles on
                                        > this site)... did you (or someone else), by chance, save them?
                                        I don't think
                                        I will ask on our internal forum, by chance.
                                        All the best
                                        Yann aka Per Braz

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                                          Sine wrote:
                                          >From the email this morning my gentleman is Seljuk. So....
                                          >he is Turkish eh? hmmm.....he has a determination to
                                          >follow Persian inspirations.

                                          As did many Seljuks after they conquered much of Persia :-) Persian
                                          culture was THE culture to emulate - even the 'Abbasid Arabs copied
                                          many aspects of Persian culture.

                                          >So, having the strong Turkish influence there might
                                          >be an opportunity for some minor changes...more
                                          >elaborate fabrics etc.?

                                          Unfortunately, the Mongols followed on the heels of the Seljuks and
                                          were quite destructive, so there's a very limited amount of clothing
                                          left. There are some garments in modern Turkey, in the Anatolian city
                                          of Konya, which was the capital city of the Seljuks of Rum in the
                                          12th& 13th centuries. They're in a museum, the Mevlana Museum,
                                          dedicated to the famous poet Rumi (so-called because he lived in Rum,
                                          i.e., a region that had formerly belonged to the "Romans", what the
                                          Byzantines called themselves). Mevlana Celaleddin (or Jalaluddin)
                                          Rumi was born in Balkh, a city in medieval Persia, now in
                                          Afghanistan. His family fled westward to escape the Mongols. He was a
                                          Sufi, the Mevlevi order, sometimes called "whirling dervishes".

                                          There are some not-terribly good photos from the museum on-line.
                                          [http://rubens.anu.edu.au/raid1/turkey2/cd10/konya/mevlana_tekke/MUSEUM/textiles/clothing/%5d
                                          the graphics are freakin' huge (mostly around 1mg!) but should be helpful.

                                          As for fabric to use to look royal in, some 2-color damask with small
                                          patterns might be good. Colors to go for are rich red, golden yellow,
                                          white, and various shades of indigo blue.

                                          Another typical early Persian motif is the roundel featuring either a
                                          mounted warrior (i.e., on horseback) or a "big cat" attacking an
                                          herbivore (deer, camel, bull, other) and often with a "pearl" border
                                          (i.e., having a circumference of small solid circles). From what i
                                          can tell, roundels were still featured on lampas weave fabric during
                                          the Seljuk period.

                                          These sorts of patterns are admittedly hard to find in modern fabric
                                          - but you never know, you might find some. A few years ago i actually
                                          found some white cellulose rayon with indigo printed cintamani (a
                                          typical royal Ottoman pattern). The scale was wrong (it was small and
                                          Ottomans liked BIG patterns) but i HAD to get some. It's the only
                                          time in 8 years i've seen modern commercial cintamani.

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                                            I wrote:
                                            >As for fabric to use to look royal in, some 2-color damask with
                                            >small patterns might be good. Colors to go for are rich red, golden
                                            >yellow, white, and various shades of indigo blue.
                                            >
                                            >Another typical early Persian motif is the roundel featuring either
                                            >a mounted warrior (i.e., on horseback) or a "big cat" attacking an
                                            >herbivore (deer, camel, bull, other) and often with a "pearl" border
                                            >(i.e., having a circumference of small solid circles). From what i
                                            >can tell, roundels were still featured on lampas weave fabric during
                                            >the Seljuk period.

                                            Here are a couple Seljuk period fabric fragments i found some time
                                            ago at the website of the Cleveland Museum of Art:
                                            -- Lampas weave fabric with animals in roundels
                                            [http://www.clevelandart.org/Explore/departmentWork.asp?deptgroup=3&recNo=299]
                                            -- Lampas weave fabric of simurghs in medium indigo blue silk and metallic gold
                                            [http://www.clevelandart.org/Explore/work.asp?searchText=1945%2E14&recNo=0&tab=2&display=]

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jun 5, 2007
                                              Whew! I finally found the "thumbnail" pages for those huge Mevlana Tekke files.
                                              http://rubens.anu.edu.au/turkey/konya/mevlana_tekke/museum/textiles/clothing/index.php?page=1
                                              and
                                              http://rubens.anu.edu.au/turkey/konya/mevlana_tekke/museum/textiles/clothing/index.php?page=2

                                              So, if you've been holding back, now you can preview before clicking...