Re: Persona Organizing

  • Karen "Brat" Tricomo
    Message 1 of 12 , May 23, 2007
      "I have an unusual method of researching and organizing information on
      my persona ;-) I wrote a novel :-D"

      MEE TOO!!! Of course, I did mine a little backwards from that...I
      developed my persona out of the heroine of my story (which I'm not
      through writing yet, by the way). It's been a challenge to try &
      figure out what part of her "life" I can transpose into logical reasons
      for her to be doing SCA-type things.

      One part of "Catherine's" life had her being a serving wench in a local
      Inn/Tavern. Imagine how much fun I had being part of the "Sword &
      Lily" Inn at last year's bake-oven A&S event in Napa? Besides the part
      about being cooked to a crisp nearly as much as the goat and being
      hobbled by a severe ankle sprain from the week before, I mean!!!

      Mundanely, I'm a musician so "Catherine" is too and it's been a real
      treat for me to learn recorder, sing in the WK Choir and try to learn
      about music in "my century" (12th)...Also, like most Medieval ladies,
      she embroiders, but like me, she's too impatient to be that fine-tuned
      to detail so her work isn't very good. It's fun to try like she would.

      I also have a medical background and I'm a very good cook so the
      current Mists cooking competitions have me tickled pink to kill two
      birds with one stone, so to speak. I can learn about adapting both
      meals and medicinal techniques to the Four Humors as a real Medieval
      healer would, and "Catherine" is one of those. Not to mention that
      I'll soon be re-doing my BLS/1st Aid certification and will be then
      able to tend to minor battle wounds, etc as "Catherine" did also.

      In the future, I intend to learn how to do Medieval stained glass
      suitable for a 12th century style bcuz "Catherine" learned that as a
      craft to survive on for awhile. It's also beautiful and fun to imagine
      the things I could create with some new-found artistic ability.

      I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can turn the things you like
      and are comfortable with Mundanely into their Medieval counterparts and
      go from there. As I get better at those things, I feel more and more
      like a "real Medieval person" and thus, more like Catherine. I may
      someday strive to actually "BE" Catherine at events as opposed to a
      dressed-up version of Karen, but then my SCA friends would likely think
      I've absolutely lost my mind the rest of the way!! So I'll have to
      approach that sceario with a grain of salt...

      Anyhoo, a long post I know, but it's my 2 coins worth on the issue.
      YIS I remain,
      Catherine Holcombe of Arden