Re: Names from the Past?

  • glaukopisathene
    Message 1 of 4 , May 14, 2007
      Interesting question...the first source that comes to mind, for me, is
      Julius Caesar's chronicles of the Gallic Wars. Many of the Gallic and
      Celtic names (definitely pre-Christian, and definitely Northern
      European) appear in Latinized form/spelling in his account, but if you
      find a good English translation with extensive commentary and
      historical notes, it may give the more "correct" original Gallic form
      of the name.

      I can't think of any other historical works that deal with your
      period/region of interest, but if they exist, that would be the place
      to go. :-) If the cultures you're interested in kept written records
      of any kind, then there should be documentation of names somewhere.
      If not, then I'm afraid I don't know...

      Wish I could be more helpful,

      Vittoria

      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Darter" <Darter_002@...> wrote:

      > Hello all, Darter here, (that guy who take photos of Pennsic) looking
      > for some help. I'm trying to find a list of names from the past. I
      > don't mean Greco-Roman names; I have found a TON of them. What I am
      > looking for is meaningful, pre-Christian, names from Northern Europe
      > and possibly the British Isles. I can't seem to find many lists, other
      > than those related to Mythology.
      >
      > Does anyone here know of links to such information?
      >
      > Thank you,
      > Darter

    • Kevin Myers
      Message 2 of 4 , May 14, 2007
        Try the Corpus of Electronic Texts website (http://www.ucc.ie/celt/)
        (run by the Univ. of Cork). They have transliterated electronic
        versions of many of the early medieval Irish manuscripts, some of those
        do contain material pertaining to pre-christian times or just after,
        and the early Irish names did not change when they were converted. Most
        of these names would be appropriate for the portions of western
        scotland settled by the Irish in the 5th century also.

        -Cainnech ruad mcGuairi
        OL
      • Lilinah
        Message 3 of 4 , May 14, 2007
          Darter wrote:
          >I'm trying to find a list of names from the past. I
          >don't mean Greco-Roman names; I have found a TON of them. What I am
          >looking for is meaningful, pre-Christian, names from Northern Europe
          >and possibly the British Isles. I can't seem to find many lists, other
          >than those related to Mythology.

          Another potential source is the Academy of St. Gabriel, which is
          composed of heralds and language scholars in the SCA and has more
          stringent standards than the SCA College of Heralds. They have many
          articles on or linked to their website:
          http://www.s-gabriel.org/names

          --
          Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)