Re: [Authentic_SCA] feedback needed for an online book catalog

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 6 , May 13, 2007
      On 5/13/07, Greg Lindahl <lindahl@...> wrote:
      > The first. I'd also like to label the books which were first printed
      > before 1600, too, but that'll be a subset of the pre-1600 relevant
      > books. BTW, this is all discussed in the "How We Do It" page.

      I saw that page, but it took me a while to get there, and I didn't
      think to even look until after I had started browsing and noticed that
      what was listed on the front page seemed to contradict what I thought
      the purpose of the catalog was.

      > What I was mostly looking for was feedback about using the site: did
      > you find any neat books? Did you find it easy to navigate?

      I found some interesting books, definitely. I'm in the middle of
      something, book-wise, so I haven't been able to get around to actually
      looking at any of them. I wasn't sure about some of the categories,
      but I haven't had a chance to fully browse.

      Off the cuff impression:

      I was impressed by what I saw, and delighted. My first thought was
      that we had a united repository of pre-17th century texts online
      (okay, another one, but this seemed like it would be very inclusive).

      I skipped straight to the categories. I saw the 'Search' function,
      but couldn't think of anything to search. I immediately went looking
      for where I might find a section on 'cooking'.

      At this point I was briefly stymied. None of the categories directly
      seemed to relate to my search, but I'm used to that. I figured it
      would be a matter of working through and finding out which particular
      system of categorization is being used. I got sidetracked at this
      point, looking through the various categories for items of interest.
      I didn't quite get the 'X books selected of Y books', but that made
      more sense later.

      As I went through the categories, I noticed what this was more on
      books /about/ pre-17th century, although the term 'pre-1600 books'
      still makes me think of 'books printed before 1600'.

      That said, I think that it looks ike a good resource, and I suspect I
      will make use of it in the future.

      -E.