1500's French sleeves for Scottish Borderer

  • rachelaleclair
    Message 1 of 2 , May 10, 2007
      Hello,

      I am new to the SCA and would like to base my persona on a 1500's
      female Scottish border reiver.

      From what I could find, the women of this time and place wore dresses
      with close fitting German bodices and large French whalebone sleeves.

      I get the bodices, but don't understand what the source was describing
      in the sleeves. Does anyone have some ideas?

      Thanks!
    • Michael Strain
      Message 2 of 2 , May 12, 2007
        [MODERATOR NOTE - As a courtesy to the many members who receive their messages from this list in digest form, please do not top post. Thank
        you. Jehanne de Wodeford, Pacific Time Zone Moderator. (Message order below rearranged.)]
        rachelaleclair <rachelaleclair@...> wrote:

        I am new to the SCA and would like to base my persona on a 1500's
        female Scottish border reiver.

        From what I could find, the women of this time and place wore dresses
        with close fitting German bodices and large French whalebone sleeves.

        I get the bodices, but don't understand what the source was describing
        in the sleeves. Does anyone have some ideas?

        Well met m'lady. I'm from across the sea in Ireland and from what research I've done in my neck of the woods. English dress of the period or local garb. you may also be able to get away with irish if your feeling a bit bratty. Yes/no?

        Micheal