Re: [Authentic_SCA] Good books about the middle ages

  • Natasha Laity Snyder
    Message 1 of 6 , May 9, 2007
      Hi, thanks for the information,

      I guess I should have been more clear - I have quite a few specialty
      books - on the history of art, painting, the Crusades, Cornwall, etc,
      but I was really just looking for a general overview - much, like
      perhaps, a college textbook on European history. Obviously, it is a
      huge topic, but i have been feeling that while my knowledge of a few
      select subjects is good, I don't have the best understanding of how
      it fits into the historical context. So, I guess, some sort of
      social/political history of the middle ages and renaissance would be
      what I'm looking for.

      I'll definitely check out the Duke's website!

      Tangwystel
    • Natasha Laity Snyder
      Message 2 of 6 , May 10, 2007
        Hi,

        Thanks for the good info - I've never read any Michener but my mom
        LOVES him - just never got around to it I guess. How about Edward
        Rutherford - of "London" and "Sarum" fame - I enjoyed those books -
        are they reasonably historically accurate for fiction? Did he do his
        homework?

        Hmm, Medieval Europe for Dummies - sounds right up my alley!

        1/4 of my family tree is from Poland, so that book sounds good to me!!

        Tangwystel
      • Brian
        Message 3 of 6 , May 23, 2007
          Best book I've read for what you are looking for is Daily Life in
          Medieval Times http://www.amazon.com/Daily-Life-Medieval-Times-
          Frances/dp/1840138114/ref=sr_1_10/103-9592774-4558232?
          ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179969730&sr=1-10

          Its easy to read and quite informative. It doesn't get into the
          renaissance period but is an excelent overview of what life was like in
          medieval times. Its not so much about particular events and people in
          history but about how the normal life for people was.

          Brian