Re: Elizabethan menu?

  • borderlands15213
    Message 1 of 7 , May 4, 2007
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Amy Heilveil" <amyheilveil@...>
      wrote:

      > On 5/3/07, velvetclad <velvetclad@...> wrote:
      ><<<snipped>>>
      (Sorry, just teasing, but I always wondered what a
      > > lamprey was. Apparently, if they were "off" they could kill you!)

      Oh, there are a number of seafood items which if "off" or improperly
      prepared can do you a great deal of harm.

      > Actually, eel is quite yummy. <<<snipped>>>

      Indeed it is. There *used* to be a Chinese-Japanese restaurant a
      couple of miles from me which served unagi (eel) "sushi," with red roe
      (coral? No, probably a different roe than coral...) Lovely! I used
      to take a couple of generous plates of the stuff to an eel fancying
      friend for his birthday; he and I were the only two people I knew who
      cared for it at all---.
      That restaurant was totally in the wrong location: they went under
      about six months ago. Such disappointment!! :-(

      Yseult the Gentle, trying not to pout because she'd made sure there
      was *plenty* of eel for a little birthday mini-celebration and he
      didn't share!
    • Rebecca Riley
      Message 2 of 7 , May 7, 2007
        If eel is so delicious, would someone mind recommending a source for it in
        the central US? I'm willing to cook it if I can get it. (I'm near
        Indianapolis, if that helps)

        Given the recipe that grills it with fruit juice and ginger, I'm willing to
        eat it too...

        Al vostro servizio,
        Signora Giovanna d'Este

        Vert, on a billet Or three fleurs-de-lys, one and two, sable, a bordure
        dancetty Or.

        "Numquam Succumbe"

        Download Messenger. Join the i�m Initiative. Help make a difference today.
      • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
        Message 3 of 7 , May 7, 2007
          On 5/3/07, Anora Marchaunt (Christa ) <anorathepain@...> wrote:
          > I'm hoping for a little help, I'm trying to put together an example of
          > a typical daily menu and a feast day munu at court during Elizabeths
          > reign.....
          > Any ideas??
          > Anora

          I'm looking at what I have. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that I have
          any specifically 'Elizabethan' menus that I could find, but there are
          some more broad 'Tudor' menus. Hopefully these will help.

          From "The Tudor Kitchens", released by Hampton Court Palace, the
          following is a description of the dinner on an ordinary Monday and
          Wednesday for the Treasurer and Comptroller (this work focuses mainly
          on the time of Henry VIII):

          First Course:

          Bread (cheat and manchet): 10
          Ale: 4 gallons
          Wine: 3 pitchers
          Flesh for Potage-
          Beef: 1 mess
          Mutton: 1 mess
          Veal or capons: 2 messes
          Rabbit: 2 messes

          Second Course:
          Herons: 1 mess
          Cocks, plovers, pigeons: 1 mess
          Baked meate: 1 mess
          Fruit
          Butter

          It goes on to say "A course was more like a buffet meal than a modern
          course of one dish and only parts of it were fully eaten. The waste
          was passed down to the servants and their waste to the beggars at the
          gate. Waste was an important built in part of any royal meal. No-one
          could be expected to drink a gallon of ale (even though Tudor ale was
          very weak) and almost a flaggon of wine."

          The menu they used in the recreation at Hampton Court Palace at the
          time of the printing was:

          First Course:
          Cheat and manchet bread
          Beer and ale
          Wine
          Chines of beef with vinegar sauce (roast beef)
          Pestells of red deer (venison pies)
          Baked carp in wine with prunes
          Butter and eggs
          Wafers

          Second Course:
          Boiled Mutton
          Swan
          Cocks
          Roast boar with a pudding
          Cream of almonds
          Wafers
          Machpanes (marzipan)

          The small book further mentions that "both boiled meat and meat stock
          were essential parts of the Tudor diet".

          "The Tudor Kitchen Cookery Book" contains the following recipes and redactions:
          Roast Pork with raisin and rosemary stuffing (To roste a pig; British
          Library Sloane MS.234.b.fl7)
          Apple sauce for roast pork (Pigge sauce; A Proper New Booke of Cookery, 1575)
          Whole baked salmon with spices and prunes (Baked carp; The Good
          Housewife's Jewell, 1585)
          Lamb stew with chicken, quails and raisins (For to stewe mutto; A
          Proper New Booke of Cookery, 1575)
          Tudor bread sauce (A sauce for rosted rabbet; The Good Housewife's Jewell, 1585)
          Apple fritters (Fritters; The Good Housewives Treasure, 1588)
          Gooseberry tart with saffron pastry (Tart of gooseberries; A Proper
          New Booke of Cookery, 1575)
          Pears with spiced honey syrup (Wardens in Conserve; A Prper New Booke
          of Cookery, 1575)
          Gilded marzipan cake (Marchpane; The Treasurie of Commodious Conceits
          and Hidden Secrets, 1584)
          Hippocras (Ippocras; The Treasurie of Commodious Conceits and Hidden
          Secrets, 1584)

          "Shakespeare's Kitchen" mentions that "Feasts with fifty or more
          separate dishes were common for special events, but guests were not
          expected to try all fifty dishes. The assortment of dishes was
          presented so that each person could find something he or she liked.
          In 1617, Frayn Moryson, a travel writer, wrote of this English custom,
          'The English tables are not furnished with many dishes, all for one
          mans diet, but severaly for many mens appetite,...that each may take
          what hee likes."

          This might be an interesting source
          Two Fifteenth Century Cookery Books (1888--with excerpts from two
          manuscripts) http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=cme;idno=CookBk

          The books I have:

          "Tudor Cookery: Recipes & History"
          "Shakespeare's Kitchen: Renaissance Recipes for the Contemporary Cook"
          "The Tudor Kitchens Cookery Book"
          "The Tudor Kitchens"