Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Elizabethan menu?

  • Amy Heilveil
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2007
      On 5/3/07, velvetclad <velvetclad@...> wrote:
      > First you'll have to scrounge up some lampreys, or eels if
      > unavailable...(Sorry, just teasing, but I always wondered what a
      > lamprey was. Apparently, if they were "off" they could kill you!)

      Actually, eel is quite yummy. Bogdan did it once for a vigil and the
      vigilant's husband stood by the bowl and pretty much emptied it
      himself by not letting anyone else near it. He and I like eel
      whenever we can get it. There are several recipes for eel pie which
      would be delicious and correct.

      Are you looking for sources from which to glean your menus? for actual
      receipts or example menus?

      Smiles,
      Despina
    • Adele de Maisieres
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2007
        Amy Heilveil wrote:

        >>First you'll have to scrounge up some lampreys, or eels if
        >>unavailable...(Sorry, just teasing, but I always wondered what a
        >>lamprey was. Apparently, if they were "off" they could kill you!)
        >>

        >Actually, eel is quite yummy. Bogdan did it once for a vigil and the
        >vigilant's husband stood by the bowl and pretty much emptied it
        >himself by not letting anyone else near it. He and I like eel
        >whenever we can get it. There are several recipes for eel pie which
        >would be delicious and correct.

        I concur. Eel is delicious. It's especially good barbecued or smoked.
        (I'm not sure why people in N. America have such an unfriendly attitude
        to eel. Most people here would conside smoked eel a treat.)

        --
        Adele de Maisieres

        -----------------------------
        Habeo metrum - musicamque,
        hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?
        -Georgeus Gershwinus
        -----------------------------
      • borderlands15213
        Message 3 of 7 , May 4, 2007
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Amy Heilveil" <amyheilveil@...>
          wrote:

          > On 5/3/07, velvetclad <velvetclad@...> wrote:
          ><<<snipped>>>
          (Sorry, just teasing, but I always wondered what a
          > > lamprey was. Apparently, if they were "off" they could kill you!)

          Oh, there are a number of seafood items which if "off" or improperly
          prepared can do you a great deal of harm.

          > Actually, eel is quite yummy. <<<snipped>>>

          Indeed it is. There *used* to be a Chinese-Japanese restaurant a
          couple of miles from me which served unagi (eel) "sushi," with red roe
          (coral? No, probably a different roe than coral...) Lovely! I used
          to take a couple of generous plates of the stuff to an eel fancying
          friend for his birthday; he and I were the only two people I knew who
          cared for it at all---.
          That restaurant was totally in the wrong location: they went under
          about six months ago. Such disappointment!! :-(

          Yseult the Gentle, trying not to pout because she'd made sure there
          was *plenty* of eel for a little birthday mini-celebration and he
          didn't share!
        • Rebecca Riley
          Message 4 of 7 , May 7, 2007
            If eel is so delicious, would someone mind recommending a source for it in
            the central US? I'm willing to cook it if I can get it. (I'm near
            Indianapolis, if that helps)

            Given the recipe that grills it with fruit juice and ginger, I'm willing to
            eat it too...

            Al vostro servizio,
            Signora Giovanna d'Este

            Vert, on a billet Or three fleurs-de-lys, one and two, sable, a bordure
            dancetty Or.

            "Numquam Succumbe"

            Download Messenger. Join the i�m Initiative. Help make a difference today.
          • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
            Message 5 of 7 , May 7, 2007
              On 5/3/07, Anora Marchaunt (Christa ) <anorathepain@...> wrote:
              > I'm hoping for a little help, I'm trying to put together an example of
              > a typical daily menu and a feast day munu at court during Elizabeths
              > reign.....
              > Any ideas??
              > Anora

              I'm looking at what I have. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that I have
              any specifically 'Elizabethan' menus that I could find, but there are
              some more broad 'Tudor' menus. Hopefully these will help.

              From "The Tudor Kitchens", released by Hampton Court Palace, the
              following is a description of the dinner on an ordinary Monday and
              Wednesday for the Treasurer and Comptroller (this work focuses mainly
              on the time of Henry VIII):

              First Course:

              Bread (cheat and manchet): 10
              Ale: 4 gallons
              Wine: 3 pitchers
              Flesh for Potage-
              Beef: 1 mess
              Mutton: 1 mess
              Veal or capons: 2 messes
              Rabbit: 2 messes

              Second Course:
              Herons: 1 mess
              Cocks, plovers, pigeons: 1 mess
              Baked meate: 1 mess
              Fruit
              Butter

              It goes on to say "A course was more like a buffet meal than a modern
              course of one dish and only parts of it were fully eaten. The waste
              was passed down to the servants and their waste to the beggars at the
              gate. Waste was an important built in part of any royal meal. No-one
              could be expected to drink a gallon of ale (even though Tudor ale was
              very weak) and almost a flaggon of wine."

              The menu they used in the recreation at Hampton Court Palace at the
              time of the printing was:

              First Course:
              Cheat and manchet bread
              Beer and ale
              Wine
              Chines of beef with vinegar sauce (roast beef)
              Pestells of red deer (venison pies)
              Baked carp in wine with prunes
              Butter and eggs
              Wafers

              Second Course:
              Boiled Mutton
              Swan
              Cocks
              Roast boar with a pudding
              Cream of almonds
              Wafers
              Machpanes (marzipan)

              The small book further mentions that "both boiled meat and meat stock
              were essential parts of the Tudor diet".

              "The Tudor Kitchen Cookery Book" contains the following recipes and redactions:
              Roast Pork with raisin and rosemary stuffing (To roste a pig; British
              Library Sloane MS.234.b.fl7)
              Apple sauce for roast pork (Pigge sauce; A Proper New Booke of Cookery, 1575)
              Whole baked salmon with spices and prunes (Baked carp; The Good
              Housewife's Jewell, 1585)
              Lamb stew with chicken, quails and raisins (For to stewe mutto; A
              Proper New Booke of Cookery, 1575)
              Tudor bread sauce (A sauce for rosted rabbet; The Good Housewife's Jewell, 1585)
              Apple fritters (Fritters; The Good Housewives Treasure, 1588)
              Gooseberry tart with saffron pastry (Tart of gooseberries; A Proper
              New Booke of Cookery, 1575)
              Pears with spiced honey syrup (Wardens in Conserve; A Prper New Booke
              of Cookery, 1575)
              Gilded marzipan cake (Marchpane; The Treasurie of Commodious Conceits
              and Hidden Secrets, 1584)
              Hippocras (Ippocras; The Treasurie of Commodious Conceits and Hidden
              Secrets, 1584)

              "Shakespeare's Kitchen" mentions that "Feasts with fifty or more
              separate dishes were common for special events, but guests were not
              expected to try all fifty dishes. The assortment of dishes was
              presented so that each person could find something he or she liked.
              In 1617, Frayn Moryson, a travel writer, wrote of this English custom,
              'The English tables are not furnished with many dishes, all for one
              mans diet, but severaly for many mens appetite,...that each may take
              what hee likes."

              This might be an interesting source
              Two Fifteenth Century Cookery Books (1888--with excerpts from two
              manuscripts) http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=cme;idno=CookBk

              The books I have:

              "Tudor Cookery: Recipes & History"
              "Shakespeare's Kitchen: Renaissance Recipes for the Contemporary Cook"
              "The Tudor Kitchens Cookery Book"
              "The Tudor Kitchens"