Elizabethan menu?

  • Anora Marchaunt (Christa )
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2007
      I'm hoping for a little help, I'm trying to put together an example of
      a typical daily menu and a feast day munu at court during Elizabeths
      reign.....
      Any ideas??
      Anora
    • velvetclad
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2007
        First you'll have to scrounge up some lampreys, or eels if
        unavailable...(Sorry, just teasing, but I always wondered what a
        lamprey was. Apparently, if they were "off" they could kill you!)
        I remember being surprised to hear that in Tudor and Elzabethian
        times a "salad" refered to cooked greens, not raw.
        According to one sourcebook I have on the court of Elizabeth (which
        I'll look for if you want), all persons of the court recieved a measure
        of Bread and beer for breakfast, and meat was not served until the mid
        day meal. Depending on ones place and rank, bread was either coarse and
        dark (servants) to lighter and softer on up the "totem pole". I will
        look up specifics on menus in my books, but it will be after this
        weekends events unless you say you need them NOW.
        Regards,
        Anna
      • Amy Heilveil
        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2007
          On 5/3/07, velvetclad <velvetclad@...> wrote:
          > First you'll have to scrounge up some lampreys, or eels if
          > unavailable...(Sorry, just teasing, but I always wondered what a
          > lamprey was. Apparently, if they were "off" they could kill you!)

          Actually, eel is quite yummy. Bogdan did it once for a vigil and the
          vigilant's husband stood by the bowl and pretty much emptied it
          himself by not letting anyone else near it. He and I like eel
          whenever we can get it. There are several recipes for eel pie which
          would be delicious and correct.

          Are you looking for sources from which to glean your menus? for actual
          receipts or example menus?

          Smiles,
          Despina
        • Adele de Maisieres
          Message 4 of 7 , May 3, 2007
            Amy Heilveil wrote:

            >>First you'll have to scrounge up some lampreys, or eels if
            >>unavailable...(Sorry, just teasing, but I always wondered what a
            >>lamprey was. Apparently, if they were "off" they could kill you!)
            >>

            >Actually, eel is quite yummy. Bogdan did it once for a vigil and the
            >vigilant's husband stood by the bowl and pretty much emptied it
            >himself by not letting anyone else near it. He and I like eel
            >whenever we can get it. There are several recipes for eel pie which
            >would be delicious and correct.

            I concur. Eel is delicious. It's especially good barbecued or smoked.
            (I'm not sure why people in N. America have such an unfriendly attitude
            to eel. Most people here would conside smoked eel a treat.)

            --
            Adele de Maisieres

            -----------------------------
            Habeo metrum - musicamque,
            hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?
            -Georgeus Gershwinus
            -----------------------------
          • borderlands15213
            Message 5 of 7 , May 4, 2007
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Amy Heilveil" <amyheilveil@...>
              wrote:

              > On 5/3/07, velvetclad <velvetclad@...> wrote:
              ><<<snipped>>>
              (Sorry, just teasing, but I always wondered what a
              > > lamprey was. Apparently, if they were "off" they could kill you!)

              Oh, there are a number of seafood items which if "off" or improperly
              prepared can do you a great deal of harm.

              > Actually, eel is quite yummy. <<<snipped>>>

              Indeed it is. There *used* to be a Chinese-Japanese restaurant a
              couple of miles from me which served unagi (eel) "sushi," with red roe
              (coral? No, probably a different roe than coral...) Lovely! I used
              to take a couple of generous plates of the stuff to an eel fancying
              friend for his birthday; he and I were the only two people I knew who
              cared for it at all---.
              That restaurant was totally in the wrong location: they went under
              about six months ago. Such disappointment!! :-(

              Yseult the Gentle, trying not to pout because she'd made sure there
              was *plenty* of eel for a little birthday mini-celebration and he
              didn't share!
            • Rebecca Riley
              Message 6 of 7 , May 7, 2007
                If eel is so delicious, would someone mind recommending a source for it in
                the central US? I'm willing to cook it if I can get it. (I'm near
                Indianapolis, if that helps)

                Given the recipe that grills it with fruit juice and ginger, I'm willing to
                eat it too...

                Al vostro servizio,
                Signora Giovanna d'Este

                Vert, on a billet Or three fleurs-de-lys, one and two, sable, a bordure
                dancetty Or.

                "Numquam Succumbe"

                Download Messenger. Join the i�m Initiative. Help make a difference today.
              • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
                Message 7 of 7 , May 7, 2007
                  On 5/3/07, Anora Marchaunt (Christa ) <anorathepain@...> wrote:
                  > I'm hoping for a little help, I'm trying to put together an example of
                  > a typical daily menu and a feast day munu at court during Elizabeths
                  > reign.....
                  > Any ideas??
                  > Anora

                  I'm looking at what I have. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that I have
                  any specifically 'Elizabethan' menus that I could find, but there are
                  some more broad 'Tudor' menus. Hopefully these will help.

                  From "The Tudor Kitchens", released by Hampton Court Palace, the
                  following is a description of the dinner on an ordinary Monday and
                  Wednesday for the Treasurer and Comptroller (this work focuses mainly
                  on the time of Henry VIII):

                  First Course:

                  Bread (cheat and manchet): 10
                  Ale: 4 gallons
                  Wine: 3 pitchers
                  Flesh for Potage-
                  Beef: 1 mess
                  Mutton: 1 mess
                  Veal or capons: 2 messes
                  Rabbit: 2 messes

                  Second Course:
                  Herons: 1 mess
                  Cocks, plovers, pigeons: 1 mess
                  Baked meate: 1 mess
                  Fruit
                  Butter

                  It goes on to say "A course was more like a buffet meal than a modern
                  course of one dish and only parts of it were fully eaten. The waste
                  was passed down to the servants and their waste to the beggars at the
                  gate. Waste was an important built in part of any royal meal. No-one
                  could be expected to drink a gallon of ale (even though Tudor ale was
                  very weak) and almost a flaggon of wine."

                  The menu they used in the recreation at Hampton Court Palace at the
                  time of the printing was:

                  First Course:
                  Cheat and manchet bread
                  Beer and ale
                  Wine
                  Chines of beef with vinegar sauce (roast beef)
                  Pestells of red deer (venison pies)
                  Baked carp in wine with prunes
                  Butter and eggs
                  Wafers

                  Second Course:
                  Boiled Mutton
                  Swan
                  Cocks
                  Roast boar with a pudding
                  Cream of almonds
                  Wafers
                  Machpanes (marzipan)

                  The small book further mentions that "both boiled meat and meat stock
                  were essential parts of the Tudor diet".

                  "The Tudor Kitchen Cookery Book" contains the following recipes and redactions:
                  Roast Pork with raisin and rosemary stuffing (To roste a pig; British
                  Library Sloane MS.234.b.fl7)
                  Apple sauce for roast pork (Pigge sauce; A Proper New Booke of Cookery, 1575)
                  Whole baked salmon with spices and prunes (Baked carp; The Good
                  Housewife's Jewell, 1585)
                  Lamb stew with chicken, quails and raisins (For to stewe mutto; A
                  Proper New Booke of Cookery, 1575)
                  Tudor bread sauce (A sauce for rosted rabbet; The Good Housewife's Jewell, 1585)
                  Apple fritters (Fritters; The Good Housewives Treasure, 1588)
                  Gooseberry tart with saffron pastry (Tart of gooseberries; A Proper
                  New Booke of Cookery, 1575)
                  Pears with spiced honey syrup (Wardens in Conserve; A Prper New Booke
                  of Cookery, 1575)
                  Gilded marzipan cake (Marchpane; The Treasurie of Commodious Conceits
                  and Hidden Secrets, 1584)
                  Hippocras (Ippocras; The Treasurie of Commodious Conceits and Hidden
                  Secrets, 1584)

                  "Shakespeare's Kitchen" mentions that "Feasts with fifty or more
                  separate dishes were common for special events, but guests were not
                  expected to try all fifty dishes. The assortment of dishes was
                  presented so that each person could find something he or she liked.
                  In 1617, Frayn Moryson, a travel writer, wrote of this English custom,
                  'The English tables are not furnished with many dishes, all for one
                  mans diet, but severaly for many mens appetite,...that each may take
                  what hee likes."

                  This might be an interesting source
                  Two Fifteenth Century Cookery Books (1888--with excerpts from two
                  manuscripts) http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=cme;idno=CookBk

                  The books I have:

                  "Tudor Cookery: Recipes & History"
                  "Shakespeare's Kitchen: Renaissance Recipes for the Contemporary Cook"
                  "The Tudor Kitchens Cookery Book"
                  "The Tudor Kitchens"