Re: REALLY looooong tippets and kids...

  • lonewolfyca
    Message 1 of 17 , May 2 9:44 AM
      Hail!

      My son is the same as your youngest. At first when we tried the
      harness, he didn't like it because he couldn't run free. But our first
      venture with it was actually March Crown in Red Bluff (West Kingdom).
      I know that it wasn't really a "period" item [it's a little monkey,
      its arms wrap around his chest and clasp together, and the long tail
      is actually the leash] but he was so distracted by all the interesting
      things at Court and on the Eric (and especially on the Merchant's
      row!) that he didn't care. It looked more like we were carrying
      around a favored pet, anyway -- and we loved the cute comments we got
      {"Watch out, lad, there's a monkey on your back!")

      And now.. he wants it on as soon as he sees it, and gets really mad if
      you try to take it off of him (and I'm so grateful, since we're off to
      Beltane Coronation in Cloverdale this weekend!). So if you see a two
      year old boy wearing a monkey, please say hi to us -- it's only our
      second event, and we'd love some new friends to talk with, and learn
      from (I would LOVE to get ideas for better garb than what I have)!

      Bright Blessings,
      Adrienne and Ian of Ravenshore

      > Just wanted to share a bit about harness's for children. My oldest was
      > quite offended as a toddler when I introduced a harness...she seemed to
      > think that it was quite beneath her dignity to be so ensnared. But my
      > youngest LOVED it. In fact, each time she was "harnessed" she "became"
      > an animal and acted accordingly. Everyone smailed to see my little girl
      > meowing adorably or prancing like a pony, but do you realize how long
      > it takes to do your grocery shopping with an alligator? (yes, crawling
      > on her belly, growling ominiously at all passers by) reading your posts
      > brought back many memories and I thank you!
      > Anna

    • Sandra Dodd
      Message 2 of 17 , May 2 11:57 AM
        -=-Often the toddlers also wore a kind of padded
        headband so they didn't hurt their heads when they fell. -=-

        I saw that called "a pudding." There's a painting of a kid with one
        on, somewhere...

        AElflaed of Duckford
        Outlands

      • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
        Message 3 of 17 , May 2 8:51 PM
          >Such a "tippet", when attached to the shoulder of a dress, is called
          >a "ribbon of childhood" (in German, "Gängelband", a word that is
          >still used metaphorically today although most people don't know what
          >it originally meant).

          In English, they are sometimes called "Leading
          Strings". I noticed anyone mention that term.
          Usually they fasten to the arm scye or shoulder
          of the dress, not the sleeve like a tippet would.

          Ranvaig