Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: REALLY looooong tippets and kids...

  • Andrea Hughett
    Message 1 of 17 , May 2, 2007
      I thought of this thread in church this Sunday as I
      watched the mother of a very active toddler trying to
      ride herd on said toddler, whom she had prudently
      dressed in a shirt with a hood. It might not have been
      as long as a tippet or a harness, but that hood did
      prove very useful.

      Andrea of Anglespur
      kitscaa Gwervyl verch Hywel Gwyddwyllt
      So many books, so little time!

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • xina007eu
      Message 2 of 17 , May 2, 2007
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Kim C" <ysabel_delille@...>
        wrote:

        > Sadly, I do not remember the source, so cannot vouch for its
        veracity,
        > but I seem to recall hearing/reading something about little kids
        having
        > extra long tippets (14th century, France/England) so their parents
        > could use them as leashes for going to the market and out and about
        > without losing them in the crowd. From what I remember, also, they
        > would be sort of tied or pinned up in the back when not in use as
        > a "leash". Can anyone substantiate this? Or any other practice at
        the
        > time to keep kids reigned (pun intended) in?
        >
        > ~Ysabel de Lille
        > Getting ready for the camping season with an almost 4-yr old and a
        > recently mobile 1 year old

        Such a "tippet", when attached to the shoulder of a dress, is called
        a "ribbon of childhood" (in German, "Gängelband", a word that is
        still used metaphorically today although most people don't know what
        it originally meant). Often the toddlers also wore a kind of padded
        headband so they didn't hurt their heads when they fell. There are
        some Dutch 17th century paintings where an adult is shown holding a
        toddler by these ribbons. A very cute 18th century porcelain
        representation is here:
        http://www.tafelkultur.de/bamberg8a.jpg

        16th and 17th century tombs on the British Isles often show female
        mourners with what are either hanging sleeves or ribbons of childhood
        knotted or pinned up behind their backs. Unfortunately, one cannot
        always tell whether a specific mourner is supposed to be a woman or a
        small girl - the representations are often very stylized, and they
        all wear the same clothes. They tend to be graded in size, and I
        suppose the smallest ones at the back are usually children.

        There is a kind of "baby walker" in Shakespeare's birthplace, a
        contraption a baby was strapped into and then could walk round and
        round a wooden pillar - it's years since I was there, so I don't
        remember it very clearly, but you might find pictures of it online.
        It might look a bit cruel but IIRC it was in the kitchen and kept the
        baby away from the fire and the sharp knives. I am not sure when it
        dates from.

        Hope that helps!

        Best regards,

        Christina
      • lonewolfyca
        Message 3 of 17 , May 2, 2007
          Hail!

          My son is the same as your youngest. At first when we tried the
          harness, he didn't like it because he couldn't run free. But our first
          venture with it was actually March Crown in Red Bluff (West Kingdom).
          I know that it wasn't really a "period" item [it's a little monkey,
          its arms wrap around his chest and clasp together, and the long tail
          is actually the leash] but he was so distracted by all the interesting
          things at Court and on the Eric (and especially on the Merchant's
          row!) that he didn't care. It looked more like we were carrying
          around a favored pet, anyway -- and we loved the cute comments we got
          {"Watch out, lad, there's a monkey on your back!")

          And now.. he wants it on as soon as he sees it, and gets really mad if
          you try to take it off of him (and I'm so grateful, since we're off to
          Beltane Coronation in Cloverdale this weekend!). So if you see a two
          year old boy wearing a monkey, please say hi to us -- it's only our
          second event, and we'd love some new friends to talk with, and learn
          from (I would LOVE to get ideas for better garb than what I have)!

          Bright Blessings,
          Adrienne and Ian of Ravenshore

          > Just wanted to share a bit about harness's for children. My oldest was
          > quite offended as a toddler when I introduced a harness...she seemed to
          > think that it was quite beneath her dignity to be so ensnared. But my
          > youngest LOVED it. In fact, each time she was "harnessed" she "became"
          > an animal and acted accordingly. Everyone smailed to see my little girl
          > meowing adorably or prancing like a pony, but do you realize how long
          > it takes to do your grocery shopping with an alligator? (yes, crawling
          > on her belly, growling ominiously at all passers by) reading your posts
          > brought back many memories and I thank you!
          > Anna

        • Sandra Dodd
          Message 4 of 17 , May 2, 2007
            -=-Often the toddlers also wore a kind of padded
            headband so they didn't hurt their heads when they fell. -=-

            I saw that called "a pudding." There's a painting of a kid with one
            on, somewhere...

            AElflaed of Duckford
            Outlands

          • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
            Message 5 of 17 , May 2, 2007
              >Such a "tippet", when attached to the shoulder of a dress, is called
              >a "ribbon of childhood" (in German, "Gängelband", a word that is
              >still used metaphorically today although most people don't know what
              >it originally meant).

              In English, they are sometimes called "Leading
              Strings". I noticed anyone mention that term.
              Usually they fasten to the arm scye or shoulder
              of the dress, not the sleeve like a tippet would.

              Ranvaig