Re: REALLY looooong tippets and kids...

  • velvetclad
    Message 1 of 17 , May 1, 2007
      little kids having
      > extra long tippets (14th century, France/England) so their parents
      > could use them as leashes for going to the market and out and about
      > without losing them in the crowd. Can anyone substantiate this? Or
      any other practice at the
      > time to keep kids reigned (pun intended) in?
      >
      > ~Ysabel de Lille

      Just wanted to share a bit about harness's for children. My oldest was
      quite offended as a toddler when I introduced a harness...she seemed to
      think that it was quite beneath her dignity to be so ensnared. But my
      youngest LOVED it. In fact, each time she was "harnessed" she "became"
      an animal and acted accordingly. Everyone smailed to see my little girl
      meowing adorably or prancing like a pony, but do you realize how long
      it takes to do your grocery shopping with an alligator? (yes, crawling
      on her belly, growling ominiously at all passers by) reading your posts
      brought back many memories and I thank you!
      Anna
    • Andrea Hughett
      Message 2 of 17 , May 2, 2007
        I thought of this thread in church this Sunday as I
        watched the mother of a very active toddler trying to
        ride herd on said toddler, whom she had prudently
        dressed in a shirt with a hood. It might not have been
        as long as a tippet or a harness, but that hood did
        prove very useful.

        Andrea of Anglespur
        kitscaa Gwervyl verch Hywel Gwyddwyllt
        So many books, so little time!

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • xina007eu
        Message 3 of 17 , May 2, 2007
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Kim C" <ysabel_delille@...>
          wrote:

          > Sadly, I do not remember the source, so cannot vouch for its
          veracity,
          > but I seem to recall hearing/reading something about little kids
          having
          > extra long tippets (14th century, France/England) so their parents
          > could use them as leashes for going to the market and out and about
          > without losing them in the crowd. From what I remember, also, they
          > would be sort of tied or pinned up in the back when not in use as
          > a "leash". Can anyone substantiate this? Or any other practice at
          the
          > time to keep kids reigned (pun intended) in?
          >
          > ~Ysabel de Lille
          > Getting ready for the camping season with an almost 4-yr old and a
          > recently mobile 1 year old

          Such a "tippet", when attached to the shoulder of a dress, is called
          a "ribbon of childhood" (in German, "Gängelband", a word that is
          still used metaphorically today although most people don't know what
          it originally meant). Often the toddlers also wore a kind of padded
          headband so they didn't hurt their heads when they fell. There are
          some Dutch 17th century paintings where an adult is shown holding a
          toddler by these ribbons. A very cute 18th century porcelain
          representation is here:
          http://www.tafelkultur.de/bamberg8a.jpg

          16th and 17th century tombs on the British Isles often show female
          mourners with what are either hanging sleeves or ribbons of childhood
          knotted or pinned up behind their backs. Unfortunately, one cannot
          always tell whether a specific mourner is supposed to be a woman or a
          small girl - the representations are often very stylized, and they
          all wear the same clothes. They tend to be graded in size, and I
          suppose the smallest ones at the back are usually children.

          There is a kind of "baby walker" in Shakespeare's birthplace, a
          contraption a baby was strapped into and then could walk round and
          round a wooden pillar - it's years since I was there, so I don't
          remember it very clearly, but you might find pictures of it online.
          It might look a bit cruel but IIRC it was in the kitchen and kept the
          baby away from the fire and the sharp knives. I am not sure when it
          dates from.

          Hope that helps!

          Best regards,

          Christina
        • lonewolfyca
          Message 4 of 17 , May 2, 2007
            Hail!

            My son is the same as your youngest. At first when we tried the
            harness, he didn't like it because he couldn't run free. But our first
            venture with it was actually March Crown in Red Bluff (West Kingdom).
            I know that it wasn't really a "period" item [it's a little monkey,
            its arms wrap around his chest and clasp together, and the long tail
            is actually the leash] but he was so distracted by all the interesting
            things at Court and on the Eric (and especially on the Merchant's
            row!) that he didn't care. It looked more like we were carrying
            around a favored pet, anyway -- and we loved the cute comments we got
            {"Watch out, lad, there's a monkey on your back!")

            And now.. he wants it on as soon as he sees it, and gets really mad if
            you try to take it off of him (and I'm so grateful, since we're off to
            Beltane Coronation in Cloverdale this weekend!). So if you see a two
            year old boy wearing a monkey, please say hi to us -- it's only our
            second event, and we'd love some new friends to talk with, and learn
            from (I would LOVE to get ideas for better garb than what I have)!

            Bright Blessings,
            Adrienne and Ian of Ravenshore

            > Just wanted to share a bit about harness's for children. My oldest was
            > quite offended as a toddler when I introduced a harness...she seemed to
            > think that it was quite beneath her dignity to be so ensnared. But my
            > youngest LOVED it. In fact, each time she was "harnessed" she "became"
            > an animal and acted accordingly. Everyone smailed to see my little girl
            > meowing adorably or prancing like a pony, but do you realize how long
            > it takes to do your grocery shopping with an alligator? (yes, crawling
            > on her belly, growling ominiously at all passers by) reading your posts
            > brought back many memories and I thank you!
            > Anna

          • Sandra Dodd
            Message 5 of 17 , May 2, 2007
              -=-Often the toddlers also wore a kind of padded
              headband so they didn't hurt their heads when they fell. -=-

              I saw that called "a pudding." There's a painting of a kid with one
              on, somewhere...

              AElflaed of Duckford
              Outlands

            • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
              Message 6 of 17 , May 2, 2007
                >Such a "tippet", when attached to the shoulder of a dress, is called
                >a "ribbon of childhood" (in German, "Gängelband", a word that is
                >still used metaphorically today although most people don't know what
                >it originally meant).

                In English, they are sometimes called "Leading
                Strings". I noticed anyone mention that term.
                Usually they fasten to the arm scye or shoulder
                of the dress, not the sleeve like a tippet would.

                Ranvaig