Re: [Authentic_SCA] Period Rain Gear

  • bronwynmgn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 18 4:32 PM
      In a message dated 4/18/2007 7:12:48 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

      <<Boiled wool is your friend. My lady has made me a few coats and
      matching hoods from wool that she washed three times in very hot
      water before cutting and sewing.>>

      You can also purchase what is often sold as "coat wool". I still wash it in
      hot water and put it through the dryer before cutting. I have also found
      the same problem with cloaks - they are fine if you are just walking from here
      to there or standing around - so I made myself a gown and separate hood of
      coat wool. During the Pennsic Flood a few years ago (downpour for what, 20
      hours, causing standing water up to 2 feet deep on a field that had never
      flooded before) I was out in the rain for over 30 minutes, assisting someone to the
      portajohn, and when I got back to my tent the only thing under the gown and
      hood that was wet was my right forearm, as I had been holding that hand up in
      the air and rain had run down inside the wool.

      You may also ask about footwear. I have not yet found any solution that
      will keep my feet completely dry. But I have found one that keeps them
      comfortable. The outer part of the solution are called pattens. These are wooden
      sandals that strap over your leather shoes. This keeps your feet from being
      completely immersed in shallow water or mud. There are two styles I know of,
      one of which is relatively thin and has a hinge under the ball of the foot,
      with both a strap across the toes and around the ankle. The other is much
      higher - several inches - and resembles the wooden Japanese sandals that have the
      two bars across the bottom. If you go to _www.medievalshoes.com_
      (http://www.medievalshoes.com) and click on catalog and then on pattens, you can see
      the two styles. They don't keep you completely out of deep water, mud or wet
      grass, but they help a lot.
      The inner part of the solution is wearing wool socks inside your shoes.
      Wool has a wonderful property of keeping you warm even if it is wet. At a very
      wet event several years ago, I could feel the water pouring into my shoes as
      I walked, because the wet grass was higher than my pattens. But once I got
      out of the grass, within a few minutes I couldn't even feel if my feet were
      wet anymore because they were warm. Of course, staying in wet socks for a
      prolonged period of time can cause other foot issues, so you should still change
      into dry shoes and socks as soon as you can, but at least you aren't
      freezing because of wet feet.

      Brangwayna Morgan

    • John Groseclose
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 18 4:47 PM
        At 7:32 PM -0400 4/18/07, bronwynmgn@... wrote:

        Of course, staying in wet socks for a
        prolonged period of time can cause other foot issues, so you should
        still change
        into dry shoes and socks as soon as you can, but at least you aren't
        freezing because of wet feet.

        Brangwayna Morgan

        It's not exactly a period solution, but for those events that I find
        I'm likely to be wearing wet boots for very long (i.e., Estrella in
        the rain) I pack my toes in a thick layer of Vaseline before putting
        on a thin pair of socks, then the wool hose over those.

        Something a buddy of mine taught me - he learned it in World War II.

        Iain
        --
        Inter spem curamque, timores inter et iras
        Omnem crede diem tibi diluxisse supremum:
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 20 6:25 AM
          bronwynmgn@... wrote: << <You can also purchase what is often sold as "coat wool". I still wash it in hot water and put it through the dryer before cutting. >>

          Hello,
          Would this be acceptable/workable for a cloak/coat? http://www.trimfabric.com/01-wl-1.html And how about the color? How many yards would I need for an adult-sized cloak?

          I realize it's 90% wool/10% polyester, but it's on sale for $9/yd. :-) I nearly choked when I saw the price of 100% coat wool fabric ($25/yd)!

          Any suggestions where us poor folks can obtain coat wool, if the above fabric is unacceptable? Will the polyester keep it from srinking enough to make it waterproof?

          Can shrinkable, waterproof-able wool be found at WalMart? (I haven't looked there yet - I'm still very new to all this garb-making).

          Thanks!

          Ceindrych <---subject to change
          Incipient Shire of Drakelaw
          Oaken Region, Middle Kingdom
          -------
          Historically somewhere between
          Caniodricca filia Ricati and Ceindrech ferch Rhiagad
          (still working on it)

        • Elspet Byndelase
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 21 9:03 AM
            Ceindrych,

            B. Black and Sons runs speicials on %100 wool "flannel"
            I find it works well for rain and "fulls" up nicely in a washer with
            hot water and a dryer with a couple a sneakers. Not real fulling I
            know but a nice approximation. Those on the list that are fulling
            experts can give you the low down on the difference :-)

            Here's the link to their specials page. $6.95 a yrd 4 yrd min.

            http://www.bblackandsons.com/store/woolens_specials_order_now.html#

            Elspet

            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Ceindrych merch Riacat

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 22 7:35 PM
              Elspet Byndelase <elspet@...> wrote: << B. Black and Sons runs speicials on %100 wool "flannel" I find it works well for rain and "fulls" up nicely in a washer with hot water and a dryer with a couple a sneakers. Not real fulling I know but a nice approximation. Those on the list that are fulling experts can give you the low down on the difference :-)
              Here's the link to their specials page. $6.95 a yrd 4 yrd min.
              http://www.bblackandsons.com/store/woolens_specials_order_now.html#
              Elspet >>

              Thank you. I've bookmarked the page. I like the price, too.