Re: Wimple use

  • wodeford
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 10 10:24 PM
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Ann Catelli <elvestoorder@...>
      wrote:
      > My gut says that any people in the second painting
      > with no drapery about their throats are men.

      My mileage is based on a Catholic education that started just before
      Vatican II.

      Many orders had some feature of their habit that would distinguish
      between the novices and sisters who had taken final vows. For example,
      Carmelite novices wore white veils while nuns wore black.

      I admit I am speculating here, but bear with me.
      1. In the medieval period, wimples were not solely clerical garb. They
      were often worn by married women.
      2. The figures in and around the door of the church surrounding
      Francis' bier all appear to be in the habits of the Poor Clares.
      3. The taking of final vows is a ceremony in which a nun "marries"
      Christ.

      Therefore, I'm going to suggest that the women in veils without
      wimples who are otherwise dressed in brown with black veils are novices.

      Jehanne de Wodeford
      West