Re: Wimple use

  • Ann Catelli
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 10 5:56 PM
      --- faena0216 <nancy.mckenna@...> wrote:

      <http://www.wga.hu/framex-e.html?file=html/g/giotto/assisi/upper/legend/scenes_3/franc23.html&find=St.+Clare>
      > Legend of St. Francis; Upper Church, San Francesco,
      > Assisi
      >
      > In the second, one can see that some of the women
      > have wimples, and some do not.
      >
      > Nancy M McKenna

      My gut says that any people in the second painting
      with no drapery about their throats are men.

      ymmv

      Ann in CT

      Bored stiff? Loosen up...
      http://games.yahoo.com/games/front
    • wodeford
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 10 10:24 PM
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Ann Catelli <elvestoorder@...>
        wrote:
        > My gut says that any people in the second painting
        > with no drapery about their throats are men.

        My mileage is based on a Catholic education that started just before
        Vatican II.

        Many orders had some feature of their habit that would distinguish
        between the novices and sisters who had taken final vows. For example,
        Carmelite novices wore white veils while nuns wore black.

        I admit I am speculating here, but bear with me.
        1. In the medieval period, wimples were not solely clerical garb. They
        were often worn by married women.
        2. The figures in and around the door of the church surrounding
        Francis' bier all appear to be in the habits of the Poor Clares.
        3. The taking of final vows is a ceremony in which a nun "marries"
        Christ.

        Therefore, I'm going to suggest that the women in veils without
        wimples who are otherwise dressed in brown with black veils are novices.

        Jehanne de Wodeford
        West