Wimple use

  • faena0216
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 10 12:14 PM
      First, two images to consider:
      http://www.franciscan-archive.org/matriarcha/index.html
      picture of St. Clare, Bardi Chapel, Santa Croce, Florence,

      http://www.wga.hu/framex-e.html?
      file=html/g/giotto/assisi/upper/legend/scenes_3/franc23.html&find=St.+Cl
      are
      Legend of St. Francis; Upper Church, San Francesco, Assisi

      In the second, one can see that some of the women have wimples, and
      some do not.

      Why? Can anyone give bibliography for further study?

      Nancy M McKenna
    • Ann Catelli
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 10 5:56 PM
        --- faena0216 <nancy.mckenna@...> wrote:

        <http://www.wga.hu/framex-e.html?file=html/g/giotto/assisi/upper/legend/scenes_3/franc23.html&find=St.+Clare>
        > Legend of St. Francis; Upper Church, San Francesco,
        > Assisi
        >
        > In the second, one can see that some of the women
        > have wimples, and some do not.
        >
        > Nancy M McKenna

        My gut says that any people in the second painting
        with no drapery about their throats are men.

        ymmv

        Ann in CT

        Bored stiff? Loosen up...
        http://games.yahoo.com/games/front
      • wodeford
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 10 10:24 PM
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Ann Catelli <elvestoorder@...>
          wrote:
          > My gut says that any people in the second painting
          > with no drapery about their throats are men.

          My mileage is based on a Catholic education that started just before
          Vatican II.

          Many orders had some feature of their habit that would distinguish
          between the novices and sisters who had taken final vows. For example,
          Carmelite novices wore white veils while nuns wore black.

          I admit I am speculating here, but bear with me.
          1. In the medieval period, wimples were not solely clerical garb. They
          were often worn by married women.
          2. The figures in and around the door of the church surrounding
          Francis' bier all appear to be in the habits of the Poor Clares.
          3. The taking of final vows is a ceremony in which a nun "marries"
          Christ.

          Therefore, I'm going to suggest that the women in veils without
          wimples who are otherwise dressed in brown with black veils are novices.

          Jehanne de Wodeford
          West