History Channel's Dark Ages special (was Re: Viking Skull Cup)

  • Sena Rafngard
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 6 7:27 AM
      Just wanted to comment that I thought this show was not up to standard. The
      entire show was one reinforcement after the next about how awful the "Dark
      Ages" were, that the fall of Rome was such a tragedy and such. Not that
      this is specifically unfounded, but it was over-emphasized, and next to no
      new research about the sophistication of the cultures both geographically
      and temporally outside the Roman empire in Europe and abroad. They made such
      a big deal out of presenting information and views that are decades old. I
      was quite disappointed.

      -Sena

    • Terri Morgan
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 6 2:07 PM
        Okay, my curiosity is up.

        Being mainly a Viking-age Manx woman with an occasional foray into
        Romano-Brit, I don't wear clothing that is the modern "dazzling-white"
        white. But I know it had to have developed sometime in history and that made
        me wonder how white, actually, did linen manage to get during the days of
        early processing and sun-bleaching. And if it were very close to what we
        recognise as egg-shell white, did it have a hint of yellow to it or did
        blueing start within the SCA's time period of study?

        Does anyone know? Being stuck at home while everyone else in Atlantia is off
        to a fun-promising Coronation, I am filled with silly questions.

        Hrothny