Re: Viking Skull Cup

  • Beth Lokey
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 5, 2007
      The Tibetans have used human skull caps in religious objects. Some have
      carvings on them. You might try looking at those modern examples to give
      you an idea of what they might have looked like. Go to
      http://www.azibaza.com/ and search for skulls. I think you have to click
      on "View by Pictures" to see them, otherwise you just get text.

      Mina

    • Melissa Phifer
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 5, 2007
        I don't think the History Channel is a good resource...but who knows.

        I think it was on the special "The Dark Ages" or "Barbarians II" but
        they talked about some raider who killed the king, took his wife and
        made a cup from his skull and would make her drink from it.

        I think she ended up killing him. Go women!

        Sorry I can't remember the name!

        -Elspeth the Lighthearted.
      • Lilinah
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 5, 2007
          Mina wrote:
          >The Tibetans have used human skull caps in religious objects. Some have
          >carvings on them. You might try looking at those modern examples to give
          >you an idea of what they might have looked like. Go to
          >http://www.azibaza.com/ and search for skulls. I think you have to click
          >on "View by Pictures" to see them, otherwise you just get text.

          While it is true that Tibetan monks made sacred ritual cups from the
          skulls of dead monks, many of those for sale today are part of the
          appalling traffic in human body parts that has been going on in
          India. And I wouldn't purchase a modern one.

          Also, i think there isn't much of a relationship between Tibet and Scandinavia.

          --
          Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
          the persona formerly known as Anahita