Re: [Authentic_SCA] Looking for cookbooks

  • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3 8:33 PM
      >Does anyone know of any period Welsh or Viking cookbooks or recipes? I'm
      >trying to help someone out with some research.

      There are Scandinavian cookbooks from medieval times, but nothing
      written from Viking times.
      Thora's page is the best resource, she has an extensive bibliography
      http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/vikfood.html

      Some other links
      http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/food.shtml
      http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/daily_living/text/food_and_diet.htm
      http://www.darkagessociety.co.uk/9food.html
      http://www.viking.no/e/life/food/index.html
      http://www.ydalir.co.uk/crafts/cook.htm
      http://www.ydalir.co.uk/crafts/cook/recipes.htm
      http://www.housebarra.com/EP/ep07/05banquet.html
      http://www.regia.org/life/food.htm
      http://www.vikingsonline.org.uk/resources/articles/food.htm
      http://www.birkana.org.uk/cooking.htm
      http://www.geocities.com/ravensteadhousehold/rsnorsefood.htm
      http://www.sca.org.au/st_florians/university/library/articles-howtos/9-12C_Norse_Food_AR070604.htm
      http://www.silk.net/sirene/norse.htm A norse spice chest

      And my own site, of speculative recipes and menus that I have used
      cooking in a Viking age living history kitchen. Please note the word
      speculative, I don't maintain that these are period, they are best I
      could do without written documentation.
      http://www.geocities.com/ranvaig/medieval/kitchen.html

      I'm not aware of any period Welsh cookbooks, but that isn't my area
      of knowledge. Perhaps the English cookbooks will be useful.

      This is a useful list of online cookbooks.
      http://www.thousandeggs.com/cookbooks.html
      http://www.thousandeggs.com/cookbooks.html#DANISH - 1300's and later

      Ranvaig
    • Barbara
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 4 10:14 AM
        Greetings Mina:

        I posted a copy of a 1616 Danish cookbook in the files section. It is fun just to read. Hope this helps.

        YIS
        Ylas Anasdoter of Lions Gate
      • Katherine Rowberd / Kirrily Robert
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 10 10:52 PM
          On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 08:08:23PM -0700, Heather Rose Jones wrote:
          > On the Welsh end, the only pre-1600 recipes -- in the formal sense --
          > that I've run across were published in:
          >
          > Bowen, D. J. 1954. "Y Gwasanaeth Bwrdd" in Bulletin of the Board of
          > Celtic Studies. 15:116-120.
          >
          > It includes two fairly brief extracts from 16th c. manuscripts that
          > are so similar in format, style, and content to contemporary recipes
          > in English sources that I would be astounded if they weren't direct
          > translations of some as yet unidentified (or more likely, lost)
          > English source. Here's an example
          >
          > mortraws brawn y wnair val hyn/ cymer gapwld a chic pork a verwer yn
          > ?a ai temprio a llaeth almons/ a thrwy y isgell y hvn dod ef wrth y
          > tan a dod yndo saffrwn a siwgr yna cymer laeth berwedic o?i ar y tan
          > a dod gyda melyn wie a chymysc hwynt yn ?a y gid a gwsnaytha allan.
          >
          > Mortrews of brawn are made so. One takes capon and pork
          > and boils it well and temper it with almond milk and with its own
          > sauce put it by the fire and put saffron thereto and sugar, then take
          > boiled milk over the fire and add egg yolks and mix them well
          > together and serve forth.

          What part of the 16th century is that from? You mention "contemporary
          recipes in English sources" but the combination of ingredients there
          isn't what I'm used to from 16th century English sources. Mind you,
          most of the ones I'm most familiar with are from the later part of the
          century. To my eyes, that recipe, with the almond milk and saffron,
          looks more medieval in style. But I guess it wouldn't be too surprising
          if the recipes were lagging behind a bit as they travelled west?

          K.

          --
          Katherine Rowberd (mka Kirrily Robert)
          katherine@...
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 11 10:10 PM
            On Apr 10, 2007, at 10:52 PM, Katherine Rowberd / Kirrily Robert wrote:

            > On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 08:08:23PM -0700, Heather Rose Jones wrote:
            >> On the Welsh end, the only pre-1600 recipes -- in the formal sense --
            >> that I've run across were published in:
            >>
            >> Bowen, D. J. 1954. "Y Gwasanaeth Bwrdd" in Bulletin of the Board of
            >> Celtic Studies. 15:116-120.
            >>
            >> It includes two fairly brief extracts from 16th c. manuscripts that
            >> are so similar in format, style, and content to contemporary recipes
            >> in English sources that I would be astounded if they weren't direct
            >> translations of some as yet unidentified (or more likely, lost)
            >> English source. Here's an example
            >>
            >> mortraws brawn y wnair val hyn/ cymer gapwld a chic pork a verwer yn
            >> ?a ai temprio a llaeth almons/ a thrwy y isgell y hvn dod ef wrth y
            >> tan a dod yndo saffrwn a siwgr yna cymer laeth berwedic o?i ar y tan
            >> a dod gyda melyn wie a chymysc hwynt yn ?a y gid a gwsnaytha allan.
            >>
            >> Mortrews of brawn are made so. One takes capon and pork
            >> and boils it well and temper it with almond milk and with its own
            >> sauce put it by the fire and put saffron thereto and sugar, then take
            >> boiled milk over the fire and add egg yolks and mix them well
            >> together and serve forth.
            >
            > What part of the 16th century is that from? You mention "contemporary
            > recipes in English sources" but the combination of ingredients there
            > isn't what I'm used to from 16th century English sources. Mind you,
            > most of the ones I'm most familiar with are from the later part of the
            > century. To my eyes, that recipe, with the almond milk and saffron,
            > looks more medieval in style. But I guess it wouldn't be too
            > surprising
            > if the recipes were lagging behind a bit as they travelled west?

            Both manuscripts are from mid-century -- but keep in mind that this
            is a date for the physical manuscript, not necessarily for the
            composition of the text.

            Tangwystyl