What to do with Laurel Berries - Gerard

  • Kathleen Keeler
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 2, 2007

      Teffania asked about uses for the berries from the bay (laurel)
      Gerard's Herbal, just at the end of Period, says (I leave in the old
      "Of the Bay or Laurell tree"
      "The Berries and leaues of the Bay tree, saith Galen, are hot and
      very drie, and yet the berries more than the leaues.
      Bay Berries with Hony or Cute, are good in a licking medicine, saith
      Dioscorides, against the pthisicke or Consumption of the lungs,
      difficulty of breathing and all kinde of fluxes or rheumes about the chest.
      [stuff about leaves omitted]
      Bay Berries taken in wine, are good against the bitings and
      stingings of any venemous beast and against all venome and poison: they
      clense away the morphew; the juice pressed out hereof is a remedy for
      paine of all eares, and deafnesse, if it be dropped in with old wine and
      oile of Roses: this is also mixed with ointments that are good against
      wearisomenesse, and that heate and difcusse or waste away humors.
      Bay berries are put into Mithridate, Treacle, and shuch like
      medicines that are made to refresh such people as are growne sluggish
      and dull by means of taking opiate medicines, or such as haue any
      venomous or poisoned quality in them.
      They are good also against cramps and drawing together of sinewes.
      We in our time do not vse the berries for the infirmities of the
      lungs, or chest, but minister them against the diseases of the stomache,
      liuer, spleene, and bladder: they warme a cold stomacke, cause
      concostion of raw humours, stirre vp a decaied appetite, take away the
      loathing of meat, open the stopping of theliuer and spleene, prouoke
      vrine, bring down the menses, and driue forth the secondine.
      The oile pressed out of these, or drawne forth by decoction, doth in
      short time take away scabs and such like filth of the skin.
      It cureth them that are beaten blacke and blew, and that be bruised
      by squats and falls, it remooueth blacke and blew spots and congealed
      bloud, and digesteth and wasteth away the humors gathered about the
      grieued part.
      [a bit about leaves]
      The Berries of the Bay tree stamped with a little Scammonie and
      Saffron, and laboured in a mortar with vineger and oile of Roses to the
      forme of a liniment, and applied to the temples and forepart of the
      head, do greatly cease the paine of the Megrim."
      [Gerard quotes Dioscorides as saying the bark in wine induces abortions]
      pp. 1407-1408. The Herbal or General History of Plants, John Gerard.
      1633 edition, revised and enlarged by Thomas Johnson (the publisher
      comments that it is not basically changed from the 1599 version, making
      it a "remarkable compendium of Elizabethan folklore and naturalistic
      description"). Dover Publications, New York. 1973. (ISBN 048623147-X)

      Both Galen and Dioscorides are Roman sources used throughout the Middle

      This is plant is The Laurel--the plant that is on the devices of all SCA
      kingdoms, baronies and shires; and that the Order of the Laurel is named
      for. Perhaps when we say in ceremonies "the laurel is a gentle,
      healing plant" we could be saying "the laurel is hot!"

      (or, in more general usage: "Something giving you a headache? You
      need a Laurel!")

      Agnes deLanvallei
      Order of the Laurel