Re: Q. for sewers re: under/over dress

  • faena0216
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2007
      Q:
      > much ease/allowance/size do I need to add for the outer layer?

      I found Period Patterns to be WAY too big for me. So, I'm using the
      Folkwear pattern (Gaza dress) for my c. 1220 garb. Same basic pattern,
      better fitted for the size 14 woman. Were I still a size 22, or sewing
      for a man, Period Patterns may be just fine.

      I made my under garment of ultra heavy linen from IKEA for winter
      (night dress, house dress, basic garment for around the house when not
      feeling well...), a handkerchief linen one for summer (too shear to
      wear anywhere but under another garment) and fine worsted wool in
      plain weave for outer garment. Which I also wear as a housecoat when
      I'm cold in the winter.

      I used the same pattern for all items, and they dont become
      restrictive. No conscious pattern adjustment. Maybe sew with a 1/2"
      seam allowance rather than 5/8th?

      Nancy M McKenna