Q. for sewers re: under/over dress

  • Karen Isaacson
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 29, 2007
      I want to make an underdress of linen and over? outer? dresses out of
      other fabric. I have Period Patterns' tunic pattern and the only thing
      I will change between the two layers is the sleeves [outer ones will be
      more full]. I've got lots of muslin to work with for a test fit but how
      much ease/allowance/size do I need to add for the outer layer?

      Thanks in advance...

      EydĂ­s Gunnarsdottir
      mka Karen Isaacson
    • faena0216
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2007
        Q:
        > much ease/allowance/size do I need to add for the outer layer?

        I found Period Patterns to be WAY too big for me. So, I'm using the
        Folkwear pattern (Gaza dress) for my c. 1220 garb. Same basic pattern,
        better fitted for the size 14 woman. Were I still a size 22, or sewing
        for a man, Period Patterns may be just fine.

        I made my under garment of ultra heavy linen from IKEA for winter
        (night dress, house dress, basic garment for around the house when not
        feeling well...), a handkerchief linen one for summer (too shear to
        wear anywhere but under another garment) and fine worsted wool in
        plain weave for outer garment. Which I also wear as a housecoat when
        I'm cold in the winter.

        I used the same pattern for all items, and they dont become
        restrictive. No conscious pattern adjustment. Maybe sew with a 1/2"
        seam allowance rather than 5/8th?

        Nancy M McKenna