Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Questions about pearls on clothing

  • Chris Laning
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 28 12:20 PM
      Beth Lokey <blokey@...> wrote:
      >On my Russian garb, I have outlined designs on the fabric in pearls. I
      >just leave them on the string and couch them down. If it bothers you
      >that the pearls aren't individually knotted, I suppose you could iron
      >down some single-sided interfacing on the back of the fabric. My Russian
      >garb is lined so the thread doesn't get snagged from the back side,
      >anyway.

      That's fine as long as the string they are threaded on is strong enough. And I'm reasonably sure that's how it was done in period. But if the string they're on breaks, the pearls are vulnerable to falling off, one by one, as the string slips out from under the couching stitches.

      There's a link to a photo of just that here, about halfway down the page (the head of St. Catherine):
      http://www.bayrose.org/wkneedle/Articles/beadwork.html

      Stitching individual pearls to fabric is a royal pain and takes a long time, but it has somewhat better long-term success at holding them.

      (Although if you don't care whether your clothing lasts 400 years, the problem is much less important <grin> ;)

      0 Chris Laning
      | <claning@...>
      + Davis, California