Re: [Authentic_SCA] PSA: List etiquette reminder

  • Lilinah
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 21, 2007
      Dan Crowther wrote:
      >Top posting is perfectly acceptable especially considering that the
      >"moderators" do it regularly and it relieves people from having to
      >scroll to the bottom of the post to read the reply.

      It's not just about whether one's response precedes the post one is
      responding to. The moderators are not really top posting - they are
      reminding folks of the list rules - and rules keep things running
      smoothly.

      The primary concern is about posting one's message on top of another
      without editing the previous post. This sort of top posting leads to
      what i've seen on other lists - a single sentence message on top of
      *eight* (or even more) complete posts - complete with footers, long
      sig lines, previous quotes, etc.

      Thus a tiny message can become *huge*.

      Now, you may have a very high speed connection and mass loads of
      storage space, but as the owner of some other lists, i know that
      there are still people in the US who live in rural areas who can only
      access by dial up and have to pay for every byte they download and
      there are no other options in their area.

      It is a *courtesy* to *everyone* not to clog up the list with
      unedited top posting. And i thought that courtesy was part of what we
      in the SCA try to personify.

      --
      Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
      the persona formerly known as Anahita