Re: [Authentic_SCA] Persian textiles, was Stupid questions

  • Lilinah
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 12, 2007
      Beth's message was sent to me both privately and on-list, but i
      didn't see the on-list message until recently and i replied to her
      off-list. However, nothing i said was private, so i'm posting the
      message here.

      Greetings, Beth:

      >I've acquired a pretty good reference collection on textiles most of the
      >Islamic cultures,

      I'm looking at your LibraryThing and, yes, indeedy, you do.

      >but I'm a bit weak on Persian. What references do you
      >suggest?

      I'm trying to find some... There a LOTS of books on Persian carpets,
      but not too many specifically on other Persian textiles or on
      historical Persian clothing.

      The one that comes to mind is
      "Woven from the Heart, Spun from the Soul: Textile Arts of Safavid
      and Qajar Iran, l6th-l9th Centuries
      Carol Bier, editor
      Textile Museum: Washington DC,1987

      Another is the 16-volume set, A Survey of Persian Art, by Arthur
      Upham Pope, first published in 1938, with a more recent edition,
      updated and expanded by Phyllis Ackerman. It's sort of presented in
      twos... one book has text, and a companion volume has photos. This
      you'll need to visit this in a university library. There are separate
      volumes for textiles and for clothing.

      But most of the pictures of Persian textiles i've found have been in
      books on other subjects, such as Persian art or Islamic art (and
      you've got some excellent books on Persian art).

      >Most of my textile/costume reference books (though I have a long way to go
      >for other topics) are now cataloged online at http://www.librarything.com
      >Search for user "Castlegrounds".

      I've got a LibraryThing, too:
      http://www.librarything.com/catalog.php?view=lilinah

      I've got a lot of updating to do. I don't have most of my Near and
      Middle Eastern books up yet.

      --
      Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
      the persona formerly known as Anahita
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 15, 2007
        may I suggest you contact my Laurel, Duchess Roxane Farabi. She has just about anything on Persian textiles and clothing.
        her website is located at http://www.roxanefarabi.com/.

        Hope this helps

        ~Katrina

        Beth's message was sent to me both privately and on-list, but i
        didn't see the on-list message until recently and i replied to her
        off-list. However, nothing i said was private, so i'm posting the
        message here.

        Greetings, Beth:

        >I've acquired a pretty good reference collection on textiles most of the
        >Islamic cultures,

        I'm looking at your LibraryThing and, yes, indeedy, you do.

        >but I'm a bit weak on Persian. What references do you
        >suggest?

        I'm trying to find some... There a LOTS of books on Persian carpets,
        but not too many specifically on other Persian textiles or on
        historical Persian clothing.

        The one that comes to mind is
        "Woven from the Heart, Spun from the Soul: Textile Arts of Safavid
        and Qajar Iran, l6th-l9th Centuries
        Carol Bier, editor
        Textile Museum: Washington DC,1987

        Another is the 16-volume set, A Survey of Persian Art, by Arthur
        Upham Pope, first published in 1938, with a more recent edition,
        updated and expanded by Phyllis Ackerman. It's sort of presented in
        twos... one book has text, and a companion volume has photos. This
        you'll need to visit this in a university library. There are separate
        volumes for textiles and for clothing.

        But most of the pictures of Persian textiles i've found have been in
        books on other subjects, such as Persian art or Islamic art (and
        you've got some excellent books on Persian art).

        >Most of my textile/costume reference books (though I have a long way to go
        >for other topics) are now cataloged online at http://www.librarything.com
        >Search for user "Castlegrounds".

        I've got a LibraryThing, too:
        http://www.librarything.com/catalog.php?view=lilinah

        I've got a lot of updating to do. I don't have most of my Near and
        Middle Eastern books up yet.

        --
        Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
        the persona formerly known as Anahita