Re: [Authentic_SCA] Agecroft hall?

  • Beth and Bob Matney
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 8, 2007
      I have been there and to many original buildings in the UK. It's not bad. I
      would go if you get to the area.

      Beth
    • Ron Carnegie
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 8, 2007
        Agecroft Hall is certainly worth a visit. Be warned however, you will here a great deal of Historic Hogwash from the interpreters giving the tours. The house itself is also NOT exactly as advertised. The original house was dismantled in England, but it was not really rebuilt. A new house was built using the original materials, inspiered by teh original house. The floorplan and layout of the house have been altered. Still worth a visit though.

        Ranald de Balinhard
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 8, 2007
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Carnegie"
          <r.carnegie@...> wrote:

          > Agecroft Hall is certainly worth a visit. <snip> The original
          house was dismantled in England, but it was not really rebuilt. A
          new house was built using the original materials, inspiered by teh
          original house. The floorplan and layout of the house have been
          altered. Still worth a visit though.

          I'll second that. The house was redone in Virginia as a modern
          (early - mid 20th century) residence, not as a museum. The family
          created a foundation to preserve it and willed the house & grounds
          to it. It's well worth the time looking up & chatting with the
          master gardener. And if you're in the Richmond, VA area, we'd love
          to have you stop by and visit us at the 1611 Citie of Henricus.
          http://www.henricus.org

          Pete McKee
          Who is packing his snapsack in preparation for an overnight program
          tommorrow night. It seems some Girl Scouts are learning about life
          as a 17th century household servant in England (Agecroft) tommorrow
          afternoon. They will then decide to indenture themselves to the
          Virginia Company and voyage to the wilds of Virginia. After a bit
          of overnight rest on site, we will treat them to a taste of 17th
          century colonial life.

          P.S. Ron,

          Are you and your folks planning to come out on May 19th & 20th when
          the Godspeed docks at our riverfront? We can lodge you in the
          Hospital and offer you plenty of gainful employment.

          Take care,
          Pete McKee
          Targeteer with Sir Thomas Dale's Hamourers
        • kittencat3@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 9, 2007
            Along the same lines, if you're ever in Wales, be sure to visit Conwy and see
            Plas Mawr. It's the only surviving Elizabethan-era town house, and not at
            all what most people expect.

            _http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northwest/sites/conwy/pages/plasmawr.shtml_
            (http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northwest/sites/conwy/pages/plasmawr.shtml)

            Sarah Davies