Agecroft hall?

  • msgilliandurham
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 8, 2007
      Greetings to the list!

      I'm wondering if anyone here has visited Agecroft Hall (a Tudor
      building dismantled in England and rebuilt in Virginia) and if so, was
      it worth the visit?

      http://www.agecrofthall.com/

      Thanks,
      Gillian Durham
    • Beth and Bob Matney
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 8, 2007
        I have been there and to many original buildings in the UK. It's not bad. I
        would go if you get to the area.

        Beth
      • Ron Carnegie
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 8, 2007
          Agecroft Hall is certainly worth a visit. Be warned however, you will here a great deal of Historic Hogwash from the interpreters giving the tours. The house itself is also NOT exactly as advertised. The original house was dismantled in England, but it was not really rebuilt. A new house was built using the original materials, inspiered by teh original house. The floorplan and layout of the house have been altered. Still worth a visit though.

          Ranald de Balinhard

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 8, 2007
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Carnegie"
            <r.carnegie@...> wrote:

            > Agecroft Hall is certainly worth a visit. <snip> The original
            house was dismantled in England, but it was not really rebuilt. A
            new house was built using the original materials, inspiered by teh
            original house. The floorplan and layout of the house have been
            altered. Still worth a visit though.

            I'll second that. The house was redone in Virginia as a modern
            (early - mid 20th century) residence, not as a museum. The family
            created a foundation to preserve it and willed the house & grounds
            to it. It's well worth the time looking up & chatting with the
            master gardener. And if you're in the Richmond, VA area, we'd love
            to have you stop by and visit us at the 1611 Citie of Henricus.
            http://www.henricus.org

            Pete McKee
            Who is packing his snapsack in preparation for an overnight program
            tommorrow night. It seems some Girl Scouts are learning about life
            as a 17th century household servant in England (Agecroft) tommorrow
            afternoon. They will then decide to indenture themselves to the
            Virginia Company and voyage to the wilds of Virginia. After a bit
            of overnight rest on site, we will treat them to a taste of 17th
            century colonial life.

            P.S. Ron,

            Are you and your folks planning to come out on May 19th & 20th when
            the Godspeed docks at our riverfront? We can lodge you in the
            Hospital and offer you plenty of gainful employment.

            Take care,
            Pete McKee
            Targeteer with Sir Thomas Dale's Hamourers
          • kittencat3@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 9, 2007
              Along the same lines, if you're ever in Wales, be sure to visit Conwy and see
              Plas Mawr. It's the only surviving Elizabethan-era town house, and not at
              all what most people expect.

              _http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northwest/sites/conwy/pages/plasmawr.shtml_
              (http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northwest/sites/conwy/pages/plasmawr.shtml)

              Sarah Davies