Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Random music question

  • Sandra Dodd
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 7 7:05 AM
      There are songs that aren't good for arts competitions because
      they're out of period, but that are still old enough to be evocative
      of the period. A song about sailors might be a great bardic circle
      piece, or fantastic for singing after a small feast so people can
      beat on the tables and sing along. But *which* song about sailors?
      One of the female-in-disguise pieces might be great, but something
      about whaling and New Zealand... not great. <g>

      I use dishes that "aren't period." Period dishes are in museums.
      But if I choose a goblet and a plate that remind me of Renaissance
      paintings, they'll probably remind others of that too.

      Another Laurel was showing me some shoes she got at Walmart that look
      like period shoes. HOW COOL! I was wearing shoes Richard of
      Wolfswood made; hers looked as cool as mine did. Not that I don't
      love mine, but the thing is that appearances and impressions are
      worthwhile considerations.

      Some people rate documentability higher than they do appearance or
      courtesy. We don't need to agree on what the order of priority
      should be, we just need to remember that different people have
      different priorities.

      On the spinet song question, and on cornucopia type questions, one
      excellent source is the Oxford English Dictionary. If a term is
      clearly out of period, you can date writings by that, sometimes. If
      the word "cornucopia" was being used, then the idea was still
      current. As it means "horn of plenty," it's not likely to have been
      referring to something other than that image. It's the name for an
      image, for a motif.

      A spinet was a little harpsichord, and nowadays refers to a small
      piano. For a while, back in the every-home-had-a-reed-organ day,
      there were spinet organs. But there weren't spinets before 1600.
      There were clavichords and harpsichords.. Those words aren't going
      to fit into that song. <g> And "organ" is just a little too... meaty
      a term to put into a sexual innuendo song...

      I would go "time and place" on a song like that, and use it at less
      informal times.

      AElflaed
      Outlands