Re: [Authentic_SCA] cornucopia ...

  • John Groseclose
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 7, 2007
      At 11:59 PM -0500 3/6/07, Susan B. Farmer wrote:

      >In the illustration that you showed, fruit and/or vegetables were not
      >evident -- all that I saw was the horn itself. I don't care what the
      >horn is made out of -- I'm looking for period depictions of a
      >cornucopia that is a horn/basket with an abundance of produce -- not
      >just a horn.
      >
      >jerusha

      Greek: http://www.theoi.com/Georgikos/Ploutos.html - as with many of
      the Greco-Roman depictions, the cornucopia contains wheat, not fruit
      or vegetables.

      See also:
      http://www.theoi.com/Gallery/K14.5.html
      http://www.theoi.com/Gallery/K14.6.html
      http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Dionysos_Ariadne_BM_311.jpg
      http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Livia_statue.jpg

      Since my own field of study was Greco-Roman mythology for a bit, I've
      got more knowledge about that period and its artwork than the later
      periods (well, except for 12th-15th century Scotland and the North
      Atlantic area).

      However:

      http://www.bampfa.berkeley.edu/exhibits/rubens/exhibition/myth1detail.html
      - while slightly post-period, this would seem to indicate that the
      imagery of the cornucopia hadn't been entirely forgotten in the
      interim.

      http://www.getty.edu/art/gettyguide/artObjectDetails?artobj=943 -
      1530, Dosso Dossi. So, the imagery of the cornucopia was definitely
      used in contemporary artworks of the time.

      Hope this helps.

      Iain
      --
      Inter spem curamque, timores inter et iras
      Omnem crede diem tibi diluxisse supremum:
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 7, 2007
        I've seen cornocopia in a fair number of 15th century through modern
        artwork. A fair number in Italian book of hours pages.

        Hope this is helpful. Let me know if you need scans and I'll go through a
        few of my books and send them to you off list.

        Smiles,
        Despina de la baby got up at 4:30am today... ugh.

      • Lilinah
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 8, 2007
          jerusha wrote:
          >I know that the cornucopia is greco-roman -- what's the earliest
          >depiction of the "modern" cornucopia? Does it occur within the SCA
          >period? I'm not sure how to go about tracking something like this down.

          Look into Renaissance Italy, as that was the time and place that
          revived of Greco-Roman imagery, philosophy, mythology, etc.
          (re-interpreted, of course)

          --
          Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
          the persona formerly known as Anahita
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 8, 2007
            Quoting Lilinah <lilinah@...>:

            > jerusha wrote:
            >> I know that the cornucopia is greco-roman -- what's the earliest
            >> depiction of the "modern" cornucopia? Does it occur within the SCA
            >> period? I'm not sure how to go about tracking something like this down.
            >
            > Look into Renaissance Italy, as that was the time and place that
            > revived of Greco-Roman imagery, philosophy, mythology, etc.
            > (re-interpreted, of course)

            Thanks!
            jerusha
            -----