Random music question

  • Terri Morgan
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 7, 2007
      A while ago I learned a 'charming' duet sung as a round that started with
      the words, "When Cecilia was learning on her spinet to play," - slightly
      risqué and I loved singing it with Master John Littleton to make people
      laugh but now I wonder... is the song even in our 'time period' or is it a
      later-than-1600 piece?

      It's that early morning woke-up-with-a-song-in-my-head sort of wondering.

      Does anyone know?

      Hrothny
    • Lyle H. Gray
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 7, 2007
        On Wed, 7 Mar 2007, Terri Morgan wrote:

        > A while ago I learned a 'charming' duet sung as a round that
        > started with the words, "When Cecilia was learning on her
        > spinet to play," - slightly risqu� and I loved singing it
        > with Master John Littleton to make people laugh but now I
        > wonder... is the song even in our 'time period' or is it a
        > later-than-1600 piece?
        >
        > It's that early morning woke-up-with-a-song-in-my-head sort
        > of wondering.
        >
        > Does anyone know?

        I've got it listed as a piece by Henry Purcell, who was a late
        17th century composer.

        Lyle

        --
        Lyle H. Gray
        gray@... -- text only, please
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 7, 2007
          My source lists the composer as John Isum (c. 1680-1726), who lived
          slightly later than Purcell. So the song isn't period by any means,
          but it's definitely a lesser evil than some of the other "bawdy" songs
          that are commonly performed at events...

          Vittoria

          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Lyle H. Gray" <gray@...> wrote:

          > On Wed, 7 Mar 2007, Terri Morgan wrote:
          >
          > > is the song even in our 'time period' or is it a
          > > later-than-1600 piece?

          > I've got it listed as a piece by Henry Purcell, who was a late
          > 17th century composer.

        • Sandra Dodd
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 7, 2007
            There are songs that aren't good for arts competitions because
            they're out of period, but that are still old enough to be evocative
            of the period. A song about sailors might be a great bardic circle
            piece, or fantastic for singing after a small feast so people can
            beat on the tables and sing along. But *which* song about sailors?
            One of the female-in-disguise pieces might be great, but something
            about whaling and New Zealand... not great. <g>

            I use dishes that "aren't period." Period dishes are in museums.
            But if I choose a goblet and a plate that remind me of Renaissance
            paintings, they'll probably remind others of that too.

            Another Laurel was showing me some shoes she got at Walmart that look
            like period shoes. HOW COOL! I was wearing shoes Richard of
            Wolfswood made; hers looked as cool as mine did. Not that I don't
            love mine, but the thing is that appearances and impressions are
            worthwhile considerations.

            Some people rate documentability higher than they do appearance or
            courtesy. We don't need to agree on what the order of priority
            should be, we just need to remember that different people have
            different priorities.

            On the spinet song question, and on cornucopia type questions, one
            excellent source is the Oxford English Dictionary. If a term is
            clearly out of period, you can date writings by that, sometimes. If
            the word "cornucopia" was being used, then the idea was still
            current. As it means "horn of plenty," it's not likely to have been
            referring to something other than that image. It's the name for an
            image, for a motif.

            A spinet was a little harpsichord, and nowadays refers to a small
            piano. For a while, back in the every-home-had-a-reed-organ day,
            there were spinet organs. But there weren't spinets before 1600.
            There were clavichords and harpsichords.. Those words aren't going
            to fit into that song. <g> And "organ" is just a little too... meaty
            a term to put into a sexual innuendo song...

            I would go "time and place" on a song like that, and use it at less
            informal times.

            AElflaed
            Outlands
          • Cynthia J Ley
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 7, 2007
              That's interesting. I show it as being by John Hum (or Hume), c. 1600. If
              this attribution is correct, then for all intents and purposes I think
              you could use it, considering the primary English Renaissance styles
              (madrigal and ayre) didn't die out until about 1620 or so.

              Arlys