Re: [Authentic_SCA] cornucopia ...

  • John Groseclose
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 6, 2007
      At 3:34 AM +0000 3/7/07, Susan Farmer wrote:
      >I know that the cornucopia is greco-roman -- what's the earliest
      >depiction of the "modern" cornucopia? Does it occur within the SCA
      >period? I'm not sure how to go about tracking something like this down.
      >
      >Thanks,
      >jerusha

      I am unsure as to your meaning by "modern" cornucopia.

      As for historical, there is this:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Antoninianus_Claudius_II-RIC_0137.jpg

      I'm pretty sure that depiction meets "periodicity."

      Iain
      --
      Inter spem curamque, timores inter et iras
      Omnem crede diem tibi diluxisse supremum:
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 6, 2007
        Quoting John Groseclose <iain@...>:

        > At 3:34 AM +0000 3/7/07, Susan Farmer wrote:
        >> I know that the cornucopia is greco-roman -- what's the earliest
        >> depiction of the "modern" cornucopia? Does it occur within the SCA
        >> period? I'm not sure how to go about tracking something like this down.
        >>
        >> Thanks,
        >> jerusha
        >
        > I am unsure as to your meaning by "modern" cornucopia.
        >
        > As for historical, there is this:
        >
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Antoninianus_Claudius_II-RIC_0137.jpg
        >
        > I'm pretty sure that depiction meets "periodicity."

        Yes. That's the greco-roman illustration. However, unless you know
        that's a cornucopia that she's holding, it's not obvious. The
        "modern" cornucopis
        http://growabrain.typepad.com/growabrain/cornucopia.gif
        is what I'm looking for ... After the greco-roman period, are there
        depictions of the cornucopia in period art? Or is it a motif that
        basically disappears until the Victorian Age?

        jerusha
        -----
        Susan Farmer
        sfarmer@...
        University of Tennessee
      • John Groseclose
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 6, 2007
          At 11:28 PM -0500 3/6/07, Susan B. Farmer wrote:

          >Yes. That's the greco-roman illustration. However, unless you know
          >that's a cornucopia that she's holding, it's not obvious. The
          >"modern" cornucopis
          >http://growabrain.typepad.com/growabrain/cornucopia.gif
          >is what I'm looking for ... After the greco-roman period, are there
          >depictions of the cornucopia in period art? Or is it a motif that
          >basically disappears until the Victorian Age?

          I'm still just a little confused - is your definition of a "modern"
          cornucopia hinged on whether or not the "horn" is a woven basket?

          Iain
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 6, 2007
            Quoting John Groseclose <iain@...>:

            > At 11:28 PM -0500 3/6/07, Susan B. Farmer wrote:
            >
            >> Yes. That's the greco-roman illustration. However, unless you know
            >> that's a cornucopia that she's holding, it's not obvious. The
            >> "modern" cornucopis
            >> http://growabrain.typepad.com/growabrain/cornucopia.gif
            >> is what I'm looking for ... After the greco-roman period, are there
            >> depictions of the cornucopia in period art? Or is it a motif that
            >> basically disappears until the Victorian Age?
            >
            > I'm still just a little confused - is your definition of a "modern"
            > cornucopia hinged on whether or not the "horn" is a woven basket?

            In the illustration that you showed, fruit and/or vegetables were not
            evident -- all that I saw was the horn itself. I don't care what the
            horn is made out of -- I'm looking for period depictions of a
            cornucopia that is a horn/basket with an abundance of produce -- not
            just a horn.

            jerusha
            -----
            Susan Farmer
            sfarmer@...
            University of Tennessee
          • Susan B. Farmer
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 6, 2007
              Quoting John Groseclose <iain@...>:

              > After the greco-roman period, are there
              >> depictions of the cornucopia in period art? Or is it a motif that
              >> basically disappears until the Victorian Age?
              >
              > I'm still just a little confused - is your definition of a "modern"
              > cornucopia hinged on whether or not the "horn" is a woven basket?

              regardless of my inability to express myself properly, are there post
              greco-roman depictions of the cornucopia in SCA period art? Are there
              any from the 16th century? or the 12th century?

              jerusha
              -----
              Susan Farmer
              sfarmer@...
              University of Tennessee
            • John Groseclose
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 7, 2007
                At 11:59 PM -0500 3/6/07, Susan B. Farmer wrote:

                >In the illustration that you showed, fruit and/or vegetables were not
                >evident -- all that I saw was the horn itself. I don't care what the
                >horn is made out of -- I'm looking for period depictions of a
                >cornucopia that is a horn/basket with an abundance of produce -- not
                >just a horn.
                >
                >jerusha

                Greek: http://www.theoi.com/Georgikos/Ploutos.html - as with many of
                the Greco-Roman depictions, the cornucopia contains wheat, not fruit
                or vegetables.

                See also:
                http://www.theoi.com/Gallery/K14.5.html
                http://www.theoi.com/Gallery/K14.6.html
                http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Dionysos_Ariadne_BM_311.jpg
                http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Livia_statue.jpg

                Since my own field of study was Greco-Roman mythology for a bit, I've
                got more knowledge about that period and its artwork than the later
                periods (well, except for 12th-15th century Scotland and the North
                Atlantic area).

                However:

                http://www.bampfa.berkeley.edu/exhibits/rubens/exhibition/myth1detail.html
                - while slightly post-period, this would seem to indicate that the
                imagery of the cornucopia hadn't been entirely forgotten in the
                interim.

                http://www.getty.edu/art/gettyguide/artObjectDetails?artobj=943 -
                1530, Dosso Dossi. So, the imagery of the cornucopia was definitely
                used in contemporary artworks of the time.

                Hope this helps.

                Iain
                --
                Inter spem curamque, timores inter et iras
                Omnem crede diem tibi diluxisse supremum:
                Grata supervenient, quae non sperabitur hora.
                De inimico non loquaris sed cogites
                Spam Delenda Est
              • Amy Heilveil
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 7, 2007
                  I've seen cornocopia in a fair number of 15th century through modern
                  artwork. A fair number in Italian book of hours pages.

                  Hope this is helpful. Let me know if you need scans and I'll go through a
                  few of my books and send them to you off list.

                  Smiles,
                  Despina de la baby got up at 4:30am today... ugh.

                • Lilinah
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 8, 2007
                    jerusha wrote:
                    >I know that the cornucopia is greco-roman -- what's the earliest
                    >depiction of the "modern" cornucopia? Does it occur within the SCA
                    >period? I'm not sure how to go about tracking something like this down.

                    Look into Renaissance Italy, as that was the time and place that
                    revived of Greco-Roman imagery, philosophy, mythology, etc.
                    (re-interpreted, of course)

                    --
                    Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
                    the persona formerly known as Anahita
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 8, 2007
                      Quoting Lilinah <lilinah@...>:

                      > jerusha wrote:
                      >> I know that the cornucopia is greco-roman -- what's the earliest
                      >> depiction of the "modern" cornucopia? Does it occur within the SCA
                      >> period? I'm not sure how to go about tracking something like this down.
                      >
                      > Look into Renaissance Italy, as that was the time and place that
                      > revived of Greco-Roman imagery, philosophy, mythology, etc.
                      > (re-interpreted, of course)

                      Thanks!
                      jerusha
                      -----