cornucopia ...

  • Susan Farmer
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 6 7:34 PM
      I know that the cornucopia is greco-roman -- what's the earliest
      depiction of the "modern" cornucopia? Does it occur within the SCA
      period? I'm not sure how to go about tracking something like this down.

      Thanks,
      jerusha
    • John Groseclose
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 6 8:05 PM
        At 3:34 AM +0000 3/7/07, Susan Farmer wrote:
        >I know that the cornucopia is greco-roman -- what's the earliest
        >depiction of the "modern" cornucopia? Does it occur within the SCA
        >period? I'm not sure how to go about tracking something like this down.
        >
        >Thanks,
        >jerusha

        I am unsure as to your meaning by "modern" cornucopia.

        As for historical, there is this:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Antoninianus_Claudius_II-RIC_0137.jpg

        I'm pretty sure that depiction meets "periodicity."

        Iain
        --
        Inter spem curamque, timores inter et iras
        Omnem crede diem tibi diluxisse supremum:
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 6 8:28 PM
          Quoting John Groseclose <iain@...>:

          > At 3:34 AM +0000 3/7/07, Susan Farmer wrote:
          >> I know that the cornucopia is greco-roman -- what's the earliest
          >> depiction of the "modern" cornucopia? Does it occur within the SCA
          >> period? I'm not sure how to go about tracking something like this down.
          >>
          >> Thanks,
          >> jerusha
          >
          > I am unsure as to your meaning by "modern" cornucopia.
          >
          > As for historical, there is this:
          >
          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Antoninianus_Claudius_II-RIC_0137.jpg
          >
          > I'm pretty sure that depiction meets "periodicity."

          Yes. That's the greco-roman illustration. However, unless you know
          that's a cornucopia that she's holding, it's not obvious. The
          "modern" cornucopis
          http://growabrain.typepad.com/growabrain/cornucopia.gif
          is what I'm looking for ... After the greco-roman period, are there
          depictions of the cornucopia in period art? Or is it a motif that
          basically disappears until the Victorian Age?

          jerusha
          -----
          Susan Farmer
          sfarmer@...
          University of Tennessee
        • John Groseclose
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 6 8:41 PM
            At 11:28 PM -0500 3/6/07, Susan B. Farmer wrote:

            >Yes. That's the greco-roman illustration. However, unless you know
            >that's a cornucopia that she's holding, it's not obvious. The
            >"modern" cornucopis
            >http://growabrain.typepad.com/growabrain/cornucopia.gif
            >is what I'm looking for ... After the greco-roman period, are there
            >depictions of the cornucopia in period art? Or is it a motif that
            >basically disappears until the Victorian Age?

            I'm still just a little confused - is your definition of a "modern"
            cornucopia hinged on whether or not the "horn" is a woven basket?

            Iain
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 6 8:59 PM
              Quoting John Groseclose <iain@...>:

              > At 11:28 PM -0500 3/6/07, Susan B. Farmer wrote:
              >
              >> Yes. That's the greco-roman illustration. However, unless you know
              >> that's a cornucopia that she's holding, it's not obvious. The
              >> "modern" cornucopis
              >> http://growabrain.typepad.com/growabrain/cornucopia.gif
              >> is what I'm looking for ... After the greco-roman period, are there
              >> depictions of the cornucopia in period art? Or is it a motif that
              >> basically disappears until the Victorian Age?
              >
              > I'm still just a little confused - is your definition of a "modern"
              > cornucopia hinged on whether or not the "horn" is a woven basket?

              In the illustration that you showed, fruit and/or vegetables were not
              evident -- all that I saw was the horn itself. I don't care what the
              horn is made out of -- I'm looking for period depictions of a
              cornucopia that is a horn/basket with an abundance of produce -- not
              just a horn.

              jerusha
              -----
              Susan Farmer
              sfarmer@...
              University of Tennessee
            • Susan B. Farmer
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 6 9:03 PM
                Quoting John Groseclose <iain@...>:

                > After the greco-roman period, are there
                >> depictions of the cornucopia in period art? Or is it a motif that
                >> basically disappears until the Victorian Age?
                >
                > I'm still just a little confused - is your definition of a "modern"
                > cornucopia hinged on whether or not the "horn" is a woven basket?

                regardless of my inability to express myself properly, are there post
                greco-roman depictions of the cornucopia in SCA period art? Are there
                any from the 16th century? or the 12th century?

                jerusha
                -----
                Susan Farmer
                sfarmer@...
                University of Tennessee
              • John Groseclose
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 7 5:53 AM
                  At 11:59 PM -0500 3/6/07, Susan B. Farmer wrote:

                  >In the illustration that you showed, fruit and/or vegetables were not
                  >evident -- all that I saw was the horn itself. I don't care what the
                  >horn is made out of -- I'm looking for period depictions of a
                  >cornucopia that is a horn/basket with an abundance of produce -- not
                  >just a horn.
                  >
                  >jerusha

                  Greek: http://www.theoi.com/Georgikos/Ploutos.html - as with many of
                  the Greco-Roman depictions, the cornucopia contains wheat, not fruit
                  or vegetables.

                  See also:
                  http://www.theoi.com/Gallery/K14.5.html
                  http://www.theoi.com/Gallery/K14.6.html
                  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Dionysos_Ariadne_BM_311.jpg
                  http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Livia_statue.jpg

                  Since my own field of study was Greco-Roman mythology for a bit, I've
                  got more knowledge about that period and its artwork than the later
                  periods (well, except for 12th-15th century Scotland and the North
                  Atlantic area).

                  However:

                  http://www.bampfa.berkeley.edu/exhibits/rubens/exhibition/myth1detail.html
                  - while slightly post-period, this would seem to indicate that the
                  imagery of the cornucopia hadn't been entirely forgotten in the
                  interim.

                  http://www.getty.edu/art/gettyguide/artObjectDetails?artobj=943 -
                  1530, Dosso Dossi. So, the imagery of the cornucopia was definitely
                  used in contemporary artworks of the time.

                  Hope this helps.

                  Iain
                  --
                  Inter spem curamque, timores inter et iras
                  Omnem crede diem tibi diluxisse supremum:
                  Grata supervenient, quae non sperabitur hora.
                  De inimico non loquaris sed cogites
                  Spam Delenda Est
                • Amy Heilveil
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 7 1:01 PM
                    I've seen cornocopia in a fair number of 15th century through modern
                    artwork. A fair number in Italian book of hours pages.

                    Hope this is helpful. Let me know if you need scans and I'll go through a
                    few of my books and send them to you off list.

                    Smiles,
                    Despina de la baby got up at 4:30am today... ugh.

                  • Lilinah
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 8 8:39 AM
                      jerusha wrote:
                      >I know that the cornucopia is greco-roman -- what's the earliest
                      >depiction of the "modern" cornucopia? Does it occur within the SCA
                      >period? I'm not sure how to go about tracking something like this down.

                      Look into Renaissance Italy, as that was the time and place that
                      revived of Greco-Roman imagery, philosophy, mythology, etc.
                      (re-interpreted, of course)

                      --
                      Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
                      the persona formerly known as Anahita
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 8 8:49 AM
                        Quoting Lilinah <lilinah@...>:

                        > jerusha wrote:
                        >> I know that the cornucopia is greco-roman -- what's the earliest
                        >> depiction of the "modern" cornucopia? Does it occur within the SCA
                        >> period? I'm not sure how to go about tracking something like this down.
                        >
                        > Look into Renaissance Italy, as that was the time and place that
                        > revived of Greco-Roman imagery, philosophy, mythology, etc.
                        > (re-interpreted, of course)

                        Thanks!
                        jerusha
                        -----