Showtime: Henry VIII

  • Park McKellop
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2007
      This came up on another list I'm on, and I think a number of you will be interested.

      http://youtube.com/results?search_query=the+tudors

      Showtime is doing a 10 part series on Henry VIII (I won't use the "8" they are ;-) ), and it looks good. The costuming is just that, rather than clothing (they decided codpieces were too 'funny', I guess), but you can see where some of the costumes are derived from. Sir Thomas Moore was recognizable, for instance (Hi Thomas, bye-bye Thomas) before you hear his name spoken. Some of the costuming is more Elizabethan than Henrician.

      Like many movies/series, there are a few composite characters, which may annoy some of us. I was less than whelmed by the armor I'd seen in the stills, but the trailer shows a black suit of armor with raised pyramids on it, and that comes from a real infantry officer's armor in Italy. Which of course makes me want to see the series.

      I think that there is enough historical accuracy to keep our interest, and to get people interested in the era.

      Alcyoneus

      from one of the project coordinators:

      P.S. If you'd like to see a few teaser trailers for "The Tudors' series itself, here are two different ones:

      #1 http://www.sho.com/site/vip/home.do?source=feb12_blogs
      Click on red bar that says "Watch Now."
      Password is Sneak Peek
      Click Submit

      #2 http://youtube.com/watch?v=SGAXQPVMSx4

    • Dianne & Greg Stucki
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2007
        At 11:33 AM 3/2/2007, you wrote:

        >Showtime is doing a 10 part series on Henry VIII (I won't use the
        >"8" they are ;-) ), and it looks good. The costuming is just that,
        >rather than clothing (they decided codpieces were too 'funny', I
        >guess), but you can see where some of the costumes are derived from.
        >Sir Thomas Moore was recognizable, for instance (Hi Thomas, bye-bye
        >Thomas) before you hear his name spoken. Some of the costuming is
        >more Elizabethan than Henrician.

        The "costuming" is almost entirely LATE Elizabethan, especially the
        men's, and there is a scene (explained as being "at a masque" with
        Anne Boleyn dancing in a sheer corset, with a late Elizabethan point,
        a ruff, and a white farthingale. The corset is so sheer that youcan
        see the bones of the corset. The woman behind in the picture appears
        to be in a drum farthingale. Not a chemise or a partlet in sight. In
        one photo, the only thing holding Henry's crown on his head appears
        to be his Gollum ears.

        The explanation of the promotional poster showing Henry with FIVE
        headless women is that "Americans only know he had a lot of wives,
        and some were beheaded, so the actual numbers don't matter".

        Nope. Won't be getting Showtime to watch this twaddle.

        Laurensa
      • kittencat3@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 3, 2007
          Not to mention that some of the fabrics used look Art Nouveau rather than
          16th century. Even worse, Henry, a redhead, is played by a brunet, and Catherine
          of Aragon, who was renowned for her strawberry blonde hair and fair
          complexion, is played by a stereotypically dark Spaniard.

          Not a chance on God's green earth am I going to watch this.

          Sarah Davies

        • Elizabeth Walpole
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 4, 2007