Horses in Scotland

  • The Dark Lady
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 21, 2007
      > would the Romans have introduced foreign species of
      > horses to England and Scotland by the 12th century?

      Yes, as well as horses from other sources by that late
      date.

      The aforementioned book points out that there are
      obviously two different sorts of horses depicted on
      the Pictish stones - one an elegant riding horse,
      obviously well-bred and well-trained, and the other a
      small sturdy horse, nearly pony-sized that was more
      suited to hard labor or rough travel.

      The author points to the Eriksay pony as being the
      closest surviving relative to this second type of
      horse. Read the book if you can find it or google
      Eriskay pony for more info about the modern horse.

      ~Eithni

      When he has obtained those things which are necessary to life, there is another alternative than to obtain the superfluities; and that is, to adventure on life now, his vacation from humbler toil having commenced. ---Thoreau

      http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265