Re: [Authentic_SCA] Circlets and Crackle Glass

  • julian wilson
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 15, 2007
      If anyone can confirm what you have been told or read about the age and inventing-origin of "crackle glass" - it would be the Glassmakers' Guild of Murano, in the Venetian Lagoon. Some of the Glassmaking Family Firms of Murano [only a small island, this] can trace their unbroken descent back that far, or so I was told when we visited the Island while on holiday in the area last year.
      YIS,
      Matthew,
      in "Old" Jersey

      Rebecca Klingbeil <bekkamom2001@...> wrote:
      Okay, taking Rosie's advice:

      SNIPPED

      Also, does anyone know if crackle glass is truly period? The only information I have been able to dig up is unreliable - coming from two internet beading sites with no documentation on either. For those of you unfamiliar with this form of bead / glass, it is where the glass is reheated after being formed into beads and then quickly cooled, producing internal fissures that reflect the light (the ones that don't shatter first). Supposedly it was invented in the 15th c. in Italy, but I can find nothing to further my hunt. Help!