OT -- Middle Eastern Schola - Class List

  • Denise Zaccagnino
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2007
      I apologize for the cross-posting � I�m trying to disseminate this information as widely as possible.

      On Saturday, March 3rd, 2007 the Barony of Bhakail (Philadelphia, PA) is holding a Middle Eastern Schola. The event will be an entire day of classes on many subjects of especial interest to those interested in middle eastern cultures and the lands that border them. The final list of classes being offered is at the end of this message.

      For further information on the event, please check the online event announcement at: http://eastkingdom.org/event-detail.html?eid=1354

      The site opens at 10 AM, and classes begin at 11 AM and end at 7 PM. A dayboard will run most of the day, but there will be no feast. Many groups are arranging to meet at local middle eastern restaurants for dinner.

      If you have any questions about the classes, you can email me at: dzaccagnino@.... The schedule for classes will (hopefully) be posted on the event announcement site or the Barony�s website sometime next week.

      I hope to see many of you there!

      THE CLASSES

      Dance
      Mistress Sheherazade Al-Zahira: Middle Eastern Dancing for All Shapes & Sizes (1 hr.)
      Mistress Su'ad al Raqqasah: Cane Dance (2 hrs.)
      Baroness Genievieve de Charbonneau: Beginners Folkloric Dance (1 hr.)
      Baron Dinsdale of Northumbria (aka Hijara): Elements of Egyptian Men's Stick Dance (Tahtib) (2 hrs.)
      Mistress Lakshmi Amman of Sri Ranganatha: Introduction to Indian Dance (1 hr.)
      Baroness Ardenia Aruadh: Veiled Expression (2 hrs.)
      Mistress Farasha Joralemon: Introduction to the Art of Zil Playing (1 hr.)
      Lady Marion ferch Llewellyn: From the Beginning (1.5 hrs.)

      Music
      Bayana (Lady) Khatife (called Khavi bint Rozakii): Beginning Middle Eastern Drum (1.5 hrs.)
      Middle Eastern Drum -- Progressive Beginner (1.5 hrs.)
      Singing in Arabic (1 hr.)

      Costume & Accessories
      Patrikia Maria Agrissa Sgourina: Exploring the Sassanid Riding Coat (1.5 hrs.)
      Mistress Safia al-Khansaa & Roxane Farabi Shahzadeh: 16th Century Persian Clothing (2 hrs.)
      Mistress Deonora Ridenow: 16th Century Ottoman Clothing (2 hrs.)
      Master Rashid al-Gyanji: Simple Yet Elegant: The Moscow Armory Caftan (1 hr.)
      Clothing of Bishop Timotheos (1 hr.)
      Choli Patterning and Fitting (1 hr.)
      Mistress Lakshmi Amman of Sri Ranganatha: Introduction to Sari Wrapping (1 hr.)
      Mistress Mathilde Eschenbach: The Well-Dressed Mummy, or What to Wear to a Siege (1 hr.)
      Isabel Ximenez de Gaucin But Not in Spain: An Overview of Christian Clothing From 13th Century Spain (1 hr.)
      Construction the Pleated Spanish Toca (1 hr.)
      Sayyid (The Honorable Lord) Asim al-Talib: Ottoman Clothing Part I: Underwear (1 hr.)
      Ottoman Clothing Part II: Outerwear (1 hr.)

      Embroidery & Textiles
      Mistress Mathilde Eschenbach Medieval Egyptian Counted Thread Embroidery (2 hrs.)
      Roxane Farabi Shahzadeh: Persian Embroidery (1 hr.)

      Calligraphy & Illumination
      Mistress Sarra the Lymner: Pseudo Arabic Calligraphy (1 hr.)
      Illumination in the Arabic-Speaking World (1 hr.)

      Martial Arts
      Reis Hgheera: The Military Kit of the Janissary Infantry and Timirot Cavalry (1 hr.)
      Creating the Military Kit of the Janissary Infantry and Timirot Cavalry (1 hr.)
      Master Arden of Icombe: A Survey of Medieval Arms of the Near East (1 hr.)

      Cultural & Historical
      Baroness Genievieve de Charbonneau: Folkloric Dance and Dress of Morocco and its Cultural Significance (1.5 hrs.)
      Mendi without Henna (1 hr.)
      Mistress Sheherazade Al-Zahira: What They Were Talking About in Damascus in the 16th Century (1 hr.)
      Lady Gianotta dalla Fiora: Muslims in Sicily: Their History & Their Cultural and Culinary Legacy (1 hr.)
      Lady Azalais de Fontevrault: Introduction to Koine Greek (2 hrs.)

      Mistress Deonora Ridenow, Class Coordinator

      Denise Zaccagnino
      dzaccagnino@...
      Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.